• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My new Circlotron OTL tube power Amp.

Hi Max , I think the triode section of the PCL82 is not so useless as you say , I have many of them and I decide to use them in the amp , I think this triode is the reason for decreasing the high frequency response of the amp , but it's still high 170Khz -3dB in comparing with the 195 Khz -3dB of the Futterman PL36 amp . But it sounds good with detailed sound and better bass than the Futterman , so I think I will leave it as it is . As for the overloading I will bias it a litlle bit harder as I say before and I will see what happen , BTW before I choose this tube ( PCL82 ) I was searching for the PCL200 ( it has more powerful triode section ) but I didn't find it easy as I found the PCL82 .

Hi Dimitris,

as for PCL82 vs. PCL200: Having a glance at the output curves of the triode sections of these tubes we see that the PCL82's triode is very similar to one half of a 6SN7, and for this I agree with you that it isn't useless at all! The PCL200's triode roughly corresponds to one half of a 12AT7 or the EC92/6AB4 and also can be very useful. Finally it is combined with a small power video output pentode having a large gm, thus making it a very good cathode follower. So one can easily decide which tube to choose.

If you are still looking for the PCL 200, you can buy it for € 2.50 in Germany. Is that too much?

Best regards!

Hi Dimitris,

as for PCL82 vs. PCL200: Having a glance at the output curves of the triode sections of these tubes we see that the PCL82's triode is very similar to one half of a 6SN7, and for this I agree with you that it isn't useless at all! The PCL200's triode roughly corresponds to one half of a 12AT7 or the EC92/6AB4 and also can be very useful. Finally it is combined with a small power video output pentode having a large gm, thus making it a very good cathode follower. So one can easily decide which tube to choose.

If you are still looking for the PCL 200, you can buy it for € 2.50 in Germany. Is that too much?

Best regards!
Hi Kay , the triode section of the PCL82 have amplification factor of 70 and anode dissipation about 1W , and the 6SN7 have amplification factor of 20 and plate dissipation 3.5 W each triode so they are different tubes , and yes the triode section of the PCL82 isn't useless at all in this we agreed , the pentode section of the PCL200 have much larger gm than the pentode of the PCL82 and of course is better as cathode follower in this we agreed too , and its cheap as you say . Thanks for your comments .

Last Sunday I make some improvements in the amp . I lower the value of the cathode resistors in the triode sections of the two PCL82 Rk1 &, Rk2 ( which is second diff. gain stage and drivers - cathode followers ) in other words I bias those triodes harder and the gain is increased a little bit , after that I increase the supply voltage from 310V to 322 V . I add one more capacitor 470μF/ 400 V in the power supply . The amp now sounded with more powerful bass , and all the other good things that it have before the improvement . Now it delivers 24 W into 8ohm load ( I have an increasement of 4 W ) after this modification . I measure the output impedance again with 1Khz sinewave at 20 Vp-p into 8 ohm load and its 1.2 ohm ( 23 Vp-p with no load ) which is pretty good .

Attachments

• DSC00476.JPG
    DSC00476.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 702