My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due to the vent's harmonic structure and room boundary conditions it would change its response, though whether it sounds better or not is hard to predict, so only one way to know for sure.

Blocking off the baffle and cutting a new driver hole at ~20% down and locating the ports right at the bottom should improve performance somewhat. This should yield a small amount of TL action, lowering the vent's tuning slightly plus their close proximity to the bottom plate will further lower it due to their close proximity to the bottom plate. Just slide the tubes in part way and use blu-tac or similar to seal them in case they need an even lower tuning to flatten the response out.

When all is right, you should have a flatter, higher gain, response to near Fs before a steeper roll off than when open back.

GM

If I were you, I'd add a woofer below 80 Hz and use them as a midbass. It will eliminate the need for a refrigerator sized cab and reduce distortion as well.

The idea is worthwhile, but I am not interested in seriously pursuing boxed speakers anymore. I am just playing around with this box out of curiosity and to try ideas and learn a few things along the way.

No. I mean using a pair of Audio Nirvana Super 15 cast frame per speaker on a PHY style open baffle as Norman suggested. Then if you feel you want a bit more bass you could add a bass boost circuit like Nelson uses.
I am also considering playing with slot loaded front firing woofers to see what tne effect might be

MH,
Thanks. Yes chased up the thread on PHY style baffe. It is tall. Thinking myself now of using my AN 12's Alnico at FR and adding some cast 15 bass assist in OB or FAST.

How are you finding the B5. Anyone using pure music and exasound dac for crossover control.

Cheers

Blocking off the baffle and cutting a new driver hole at ~20% down and locating the ports right at the bottom should improve performance somewhat. This should yield a small amount of TL action, lowering the vent's tuning slightly plus their close proximity to the bottom plate will further lower it due to their close proximity to the bottom plate. Just slide the tubes in part way and use blu-tac or similar to seal them in case they need an even lower tuning to flatten the response out.

GM

Here is a photo of the baffle. I will first try properly sealing tne ports with blutac

Attachments

• 19082012305.jpg
    19082012305.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 203
MH,
Thanks. Yes chased up the thread on PHY style baffe. It is tall. Thinking myself now of using my AN 12's Alnico at FR and adding some cast 15 bass assist in OB or FAST.

How are you finding the B5. Anyone using pure music and exasound dac for crossover control.

Cheers

The baffle does not necessarily need to be that tall, but you want to avoid putting the driver close to the top edge. I am going to see how much I can shrink the height down before it starts having a negative effect. My gut says 1.2m to 1.4m for a fast setup, but it really depends on how high you want to put your driver on the baffle. As a rough guess you want about 40cm or more in baffle height above the top driver

Here is the correct picture. Hehe
I am not sure whether moving the ports another inch lower will be that effective

Interesting, the couple of A-N cabs I've seen had the driver near the middle with the ports directly underneath in the classical BR layout that causes a big dip in the mid-bass if not in a golden or acoustical ratio cab.

The cab shown should be much smoother/flatter once damped and tuned to Fs and even more so if tuned to ~23 Hz.

Then again, if there's any air leaks, the cab's tuning will be much higher than it should be and cause the sort of response you're getting.

GM

ah i see you went with the wide version of the 5.6

i went with the wide version too

the speaker looks imposing, though. dammit, wish i could cash up that much

the 12 CFs cost me $380 :/

I didn't have a choice, the 15s are too wide for the narrow version.
I aggonised quite a bit over purchasing these but when I really weighed everything up they are a true bargain. On the last speaker-build I spent over $300 dollars just on crossover components.

This time around I wanted to build something high efficiency so my options were more limited.
The amount of money I have spent on building amps is probably in the 1000s of dollars, and the cost of a good cd player, blah blah etc, I thought I really owed it to myself not to foolishly try and save money and then end up paying more.
Initially I was going to get a pair of GPA 604-8H III at around $2000 because I heard a pair and really liked them, then I had long discussions with David Dicks and decided to give him a chance, and I am glad I did, because I like these more than the GPA coaxial speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.