My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dpn't know about Onkens. Somepeopleadd BSC to my boxes. We don't. Whether you need in on the Aniken10n is one of the reasons it is in beta. The Aniken10cf needs some sort of EQ per its 1st beta, but that is as much the rising response of the driver as anything else.

dave

Yeah, no worries Dave.
I'm not expecting miracles. Touch wood it works out well. I don't mind being the guinea pig

DIB = Dumber Is Better?

(one can expect anything from you)

Correct

Here is the response

The blue is DIB

I think I can remove the suckout at 180 Hz

I'll measure it again against the wall

I'll make up some longer ports.

Attachments

• DIB ported + Insulation blue.jpg
    DIB ported + Insulation blue.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Sounds like slot loaded open baffle to me.

"By loading his woofer fronts but not their backs into short port lookalikes on the front baffle, Clayton broadens effective baffle width and also claims to gain 4dB of frontal output above 40Hz. This minimizes equalization boost and bass amp power demands"

You'll significantly increase the load, with the usual characteristics entailed. Just watch that you don't go too far with the load on the bass driver (and make sure they actually are bass drivers, not large wideband units low-passed) since taken to extremes, you're likely to distort the cone & ultimately destroy the driver.

FWIW, I suggest you read up on horn theory (which also applies to Nelson's slot-loaded type); preferably back-loaded, and compression type design, paying particular attention to throat sizing.

Last edited:
The response is not unexpected.
Most boxes, if not all (except .5way designs) need baffle step correction to get a more even flat response.

Hmm, rising on axis response drivers such as this one are designed to be heavily toe'd in with 30-45 deg being common. Also, they typically assume some boundary loading, so wondering what the test listening conditions are.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.