♫♪ My little cheap Circlophone© ♫♪

As I said above, paralleling MOSFets is much less problematic than BJT's, and if you parallel devices for high power, low-Z operation, 2 ohm or 1 ohm, I do not foresee any problem.
For a more conventional 8ohm, it has to be checked in reality, because the higher voltage could become problematic with the servo transistors.

What about quiescent current for additional pairs? Must 1ohm and 0.5ohm resistors need to be adjusted for extra current? Have you any ideal quiescent current value for each pair?

Mr terranigma,

Pl refer to your post # 1877 where in you have simulated High power Hexfet version of Circlophone. I intend to build one with 55-0-55 V DC supply and IRFP240 as output gear.

For CCS I intend to use MPSA42 in place of 2N5550 which has 500ma current rating. Only problem seem to me is their low Hfe. Could you suggest other suitable transistor as well. Some where in previous post you have suggested to change this transistor due to heating problem.

Mr terranigma,

Pl refer to your post # 1877 where in you have simulated High power Hexfet version of Circlophone. I intend to build one with 55-0-55 V DC supply and IRFP240 as output gear.

For CCS I intend to use MPSA42 in place of 2N5550 which has 500ma current rating. Only problem seem to me is their low Hfe. Could you suggest other suitable transistor as well. Some where in previous post you have suggested to change this transistor due to heating problem.

I don't remember that I have mentioned any heat problem for this particular transistor. I didn't notice such an issue with this one. You can use any small transistor here as long as they have a safe Vce margin (minimum 2*Vs).

Good luck with high power Circlophone. Bear in mind that you have to use some hefty heatsinks with good thermal connection with mosfets.

Last edited:
Some people say that small plastic transistors (TO-92) are OK for up to 100mW.

Quick sim I just did, shows that with 55V rails, ccs transistor will dissipate 150mW of heat (schematic from post #1743).
That's too much, so the answer is NO - small plastic TO-92 transistor may not handle it.
I would use TO-126 transistor (e.g. MJE340)

>I just measured the temperature of my CCS transistors and they are barely at 50*C

Yeah, that's perfect.
With my ccs (1 transistor, 2 resistors, 2 diodes), it was running too hot.

Here is another ccs (attached), with 2 transistors - only 78mW at 55V rails. Small TO-92 will do.
On the same schematic, Q13 seems to run at 117mW. Could be too hot...

Attachments

• circlo_nmos_minek.ok3.asc
    10.1 KB · Views: 76
The dissipation rating of TO92 transistors varies between 200mW and 1.3W depending on the type.
In general, if the surroundings are not excessively hot, half the rated power is safe enough.
Of course, one is always free to adopt more generous margins.
Cooler devices = increased reliability

Not to my knowledge.
There are kits sold in India and Philippines (and possibly elsewhere), though

Is "Circlophone©" a copyrighted design? Have you any patent for its design principles? I'm asking this for curiosity. In what conditions you'll permit that it becomes a commercial product? I guess producers might have to contact with you for settling on a legal agreement.

I have already a working HEXFET C with Cascode transistor KSA1381 on 32-0-32 Dc working perfectly. So I want to add CCS also for my higher power HEXFET version. I have already modified my PCB according to one transistor CCS as suggested my Mr Elvee. I think I will sellte with MJE340 as CCS transistor.

Mr Minek could you please upload pdf of circlo_nmos_minek.ok3.asc file. Can we use MJE340 for CCS transistor?

Attached. If - as Elvee suggested - that TO-92 transistors are good for at least 150mW, than all the transistors in this schematic should work fine.
No need for TO-126.

Attachments

• circlo_ccs_minek3.png
    circlo_ccs_minek3.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 284