My Le Cleac'h horn build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any horns able to reach down to its flare frequency? The reason why I ask is that I have mailed with Avantgarde Acoustic, and they claim that their Duo is xo'ed at 170hx, although the mid-horn itself has a cut-off at 235hz. The explanation is that "in-room" is different in measurement than "free-air"....

Are there any horns able to reach down to its flare frequency? The reason why I ask is that I have mailed with Avantgarde Acoustic, and they claim that their Duo is xo'ed at 170hx, although the mid-horn itself has a cut-off at 235hz. The explanation is that "in-room" is different in measurement than "free-air"....

Exponential and hyperbolic horns can reach their flare frequency. The tradeoff with the tractrix is more natural sound and fewer reflections, but higher cutoff.

The 200hz Le Cleach looks amazing. I will consider building this for the Fane. I must have changed my mind 20 times on the midbass horn. I am sure the look will integrate better with a Le Cleach horn as well instead of a Tractrix, then the two Le Cleach Horns above.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_03 Apr. 27 16.57.gif
    ScreenHunter_03 Apr. 27 16.57.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 917
  • ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 27 16.56.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 27 16.56.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 892
  • ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 27 16.56.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 27 16.56.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
Avantguarde DUO as far as I know don't have a compression driver in a mid horn. Or it didn't have in the early incarnations....
You are right, they have a 6,5" with a dome. So if I understand correctly, when using a compression driver the horns cut-off will be important, but when using a full-tone or another cone driver, the horns cut-off will not be as important? That I don't understand.
Sorry for a little OT 3GGG!

Change of plans again.
I am struggling to get motivated to build 1 metre horns. The horns.pl horns look good. There is a 200hz Le Cleach (the JMLC200) with a T value of 0. It has an opening of 125mm (122cm2) so it won't quite get the compression of an 80 or 100cm2 opening.
It would be quite simple to build a compression chamber for the Fane driver to sit in.

I don't have hornresp on my mac so I can sim the driver/horn combo.

An thoughts on this latest idea?

Update and version 129.00 is designed.

It looks like Autotech now has a 110 hz Tractrix horn, this looks perfect for the Fane 8m. There is a 60cm diameter 200hz Tractrix horn which will suit the Yamaha6681 driver and will allow me to cross quite low, if it sounds better. For the mid high and high i am very tempted to try the Beyma tpl150 with the GAMT 90.

Update and version 129.00 is designed.
It looks like Autotech now has a 110 hz Tractrix horn, this looks perfect for the Fane 8m. There is a 60cm diameter 200hz Tractrix horn which will suit the Yamaha6681 driver and will allow me to cross quite low, if it sounds better. For the mid high and high i am very tempted to try the Beyma tpl150 with the GAMT 90.

I have made direct listening comparisons and measurements yesterday between the TPL-150 with wave guide, and without wave guide. With wave guide, it extends linear ~ 300hz lower, to 900hz, but the tonal character changes clearly and dramatically, it seems i am starting to get a general aversion against any tonal modification and coloration through addition of a horn or wave guide in front of a speaker. I think there is no way of resolving this, its physics. It seems to me, the only frequency range horn coloration is not a issue, is bass, and treble. Midrange, forget it, there is always coloration. I don't think either, my lower midrange horn with Fane Studio 8m can sound as good and natural, as a good direct radiator would. Specially not, in combination with the TPL-150. Just ordered a pair of Volt BM2500.4, when they arrive, probably next year, i will know better.

so you are giving up on horns, angelo?

hi Gordan

that is a possibility, but too early to say. The TPL-150 has been a big step forward in the right direction for me. And the Volt to substitute my lower midrange horn might be as well. Next year i'll be able to tell. But i have so far no intention to substitute my basshorn. I like it.

So, looks like horn.pl have released a 110 hz tractrix horn. Perfect for the Fane 8m.
I am now deciding wether to use the 200hz tractrix or the 350hz tractrix horn to mate with the Yamaha 6681. The 200hz is 600mm in diameter and is my fave for now, should fun nicely from around 600hz up with the 6681.
I will use a RAAL 210 lazy ribbon for top end duties.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.