My Le Cleac'h horn build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Strange behaviour on last post with the attachment, here it is ....

Attachments

• 8MonJLH142.JPG
    8MonJLH142.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 752
john what is a realistic LF reach for 8M in such a horn, or bigger. i'm wondering can it reach 80-90 hz with no more than a -3db roll? cause i intend to run it on a limited band, say 80-100 to 300-500 (depending on other things) and i'm more concerned with a LF output....

The lower limit will be set by how low you can get the resonance. The 8M has a normal Fs of about 100Hz. The air mass load within the horn will lower it some. How much I do not know, it depends on your horn. The type and size of the horn will determine how low Fs will be shifted. I don't think much of anything below 90Hz would be achievable with any kind of sound quality. I would probably not waste a 8M on a limited bandwidth of 90Hz - 400Hz. Almost any other 8" woofer can do that.

Rgs, JLH

Last edited:
WoW, those parameters are really different - but good !
I can see why you like it ( attached ) .
Goes a bit lower but with more ripple on my Hyperbolic (design). Probably the best set of parameters I've used for my requirements .
Let's hope Rakesh can get enough orders .....

Yes, not your typical "horn driver" parameters. Now everyone should understand why so many people have turned their nose up once they see the T/S parameters. They don't fit into what most of us would call good horn loading specs. Most people see a Qes over 0.25 or a BL factor below 10 and automatically think its no good for horn loading. You can't judge a woofer just by it specs sometimes.

Rgs, JLH

Thanks for the latest parameters, I wonder if these are what Fane has and will be aiming towards on the new run of the drivers?

Here it is in a 115hz Tractrix with 2:1 compression.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 17 10.50.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 17 10.50.gif
    85.1 KB · Views: 828
  • ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 17 10.50.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 17 10.50.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 684
I was warned off having compression too high, but if JLH has used 2.7 to success that gives a good starting point for me.
Today I gathered 90% of the parts for my mother of a wood lathe and soon I will be able to build then test for myself.:)

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 19 20.07.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 19 20.07.gif
    21.7 KB · Views: 577
  • ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 19 20.06.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Apr. 19 20.06.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 566
HA HA i was laughing to myself about that just minutes ago.
I have sim'd in a 160 HZ Le Clec'h as well as that is what I was initially going for.
The upper horns will be Le Cleac'h ;-)

Sorry Lars, is a 90 degree Le Cleac'h where it stops at 90 degrees instead of the 180 shown in Hornresp or the full profile obtained using the Le Cleac'h spreadsheet?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 Apr. 19 20.33.gif
    ScreenHunter_04 Apr. 19 20.33.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 700
  • ScreenHunter_03 Apr. 19 20.33.gif
    ScreenHunter_03 Apr. 19 20.33.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 702
The 5M is nothing like the 8M. Don't even waste your time with it. If you want to use a 5", then look at the Faital M5N12-80. However, I would choose the 8M over all others.

Rgs, JLH

Was just curious as I found it when looking for basshorn drivers(they had none).

I am using compression drivers myself. Downside is of course having to use midbass horns.

Thanks for the tip, will take a look at the Faitals anyway.

I had gotten the impression earlier that you like the Faital better than the Fane on your 142hz Tractrix horns. I am assuming from the above that I misinterpreted your comments.

Depends on your system balance. If you run a lot of digital material then the Faital can be your friend. It is more laid back, but lacks the detail and punch of the Fane. It also doesn't go as high in frequency as the Fane. If your system is neutral or soft, the Fane is best. If you have an overly bright system, then the Faital will soften it up. Generally I feel like I want the best drivers and tune to them. However, if you are stuck with a bright system and can't make the changes you want, the Faital can be useful.

Rgs, JLH

With all this love for the 8M.. I a bit surprised that the 18sound 6ND410 isn't mentioned:

Frequency Response - drivervault

It also has a rising response, and is more efficient overall. It doesn't have the mass of the 8m - so air compression won't be as tactile, but with it's low mass it should have greater detail. While it's fs isn't nearly as low, it has a higher Qts. I guess then it all depends on how much pressure you want below "cutoff".

Last edited:
Gregg
Both those responses look excellent . The horns are also massive ! - but if you have the space and the patience to build them , so be it. You may have trouble actually MOVING the horn if you build in MDF though .

Meanwhile, I'm trying to finalise a much more compromised hyperbolic horn for the Fane driver. I'm working with about 85 to 90cm length and a mouth of ~3500cm^2 . My room is not so big !
Now , the response is pretty good ( with JLH's measured data particularly ) and gives me ~120 to 1000Hz fine ( I'll be crossing at ~700 ) . As expected, the level of colouration / ripple is of some concern . I will in any case build ONE of these horns and evaluate, because going to a bigger tractrix horn will be difficult without major changes to the furniture/layout of the room .
I have therefore been playing around with the parameters on Hornresp to see what affects the ripple on the freq response. I find that the only parameter that makes much difference in the context of the Hyperbolic horn, is the throat diameter . The ripple drops usefully if I increase from 4" throat to 4.5" or 5" . So, this goes against the practical advice to choose 4" for the Fane .
Can any experienced builders comment on whether this effect is real, or just an artifact of Hornresp, maybe linked to any assumptions in the software . If it's real, what is the mechanism for the differences ?
I can quite easily build to 5" throat, and the efficiency is, in any case, plenty high-enough .

Cheers
Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.