My Le Cleac'h horn build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had alot of help with this and wish to thank everyone first of all.

I thought it was time to start a dedicated build thread and would love for any advice along the way.

I plan to build a 2/3/4 way system, it will evolve along time.

The first part of the build is finalised and will be a 180hz Le Cleac'h horn, built up of layers of plywood "donuts". This will be driven by the Radian 950PB.
Here is some hornresp info on the horn.

This will coer around 300hz to 1000hz then I will use a TAD 2001 in a 350/400hz Le Cleac'h horn. This horn is yet to be simulated, maybe tonight.

Top end will be a Tad ET 703 with a small Le Cleach horn, but i will try with th 2001 first and see how it goes.

Below 300hz will either be a variant of the Vitavox Bassbin, or possibly a BIG bass horn, similar to those a few french guys have built ontop of their floors, like a stage. I will look at building this into a large "bulkhead" in the ceiling of a custom room, if my plans for a dedicated room ever happen.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 21 17.16.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 21 17.16.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,596
  • ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 21 17.16.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 21 17.16.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,494
Hey Mark,

Doublecheck your figures with Jean-Michels new spreadsheet(No need, just checked it and it is the same). You will see the flare above 180 degrees though. To go beyond will give you somewhat better performance.

Almost certain you can use the horn to 3-4000Hz. Use a 1000Hz LeCleach for the above. Normally a horn is used 3 to 4 octaves.

I have simmed the Vitavox bassbin and it looks no fun at all. Probably because the short horn(half of what it should be) together with the lack of compression. It only goes down to 45Hz at best. I used the 515-8G for simming. The open back is a NoNo, must be a box.

I was initially thinking of a 350hz horn for the TAD 2001 so I couls play around with the x-over frequencies afair bit.

Is there any disadvantages of usimg a 350hz horn instead of the 1000hz horn on the TAD. I know I shouldnt be concernedd at the looks but that tiny 1000hz horn will look a bit funny above the 1.1 metre horn with the Radian driver.

Limono that horn on the 703 looks fantastic. Can you provide me any details on it.
It is a shame it is going into storage, not into service. :-(

Limono that horn on the 703 looks fantastic. Can you provide me any details on it.
It is a shame it is going into storage, not into service. :-([/QUOTE]

Hi, Et-703 CNC machined billet aluminum horn provided a friend of JMLC from Paris. There was sort of a group buy or so and I've got one pair.
It looks better in reality and is extremely well built (it was quite expensive!). It goes into storage because I'm going to move and system never got into shape I really wanted . Anyway , If you're going to use TD2001 I don't think you really need it (horn).

Last edited:
I have simulated it. How do see if beaming is a problem? What should I look for and how do I use hornresp to do so?

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 25 16.32.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 25 16.32.gif
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,094
  • ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 25 16.32.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Mar. 25 16.32.gif
    14 KB · Views: 1,076
  • ScreenHunter_03 Mar. 25 16.32.gif
    ScreenHunter_03 Mar. 25 16.32.gif
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,130
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.