my latest iteration of "Nanook's 219 tonearm"..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everone
Been a little busy with other things recently so have't had anything worthy of posting.
However- I've just completed testing the new arm- The Stealth Magnum. It's a 14" unipivot with one or two differences to my other arms.
Pictures will be posted tomorrow.
Regards
Chris

All interesting stuff here that I've been following without yet having the time or ability to implement.
Ha anyone tried something like the Empire DynaLift? I know it has some drawbacks, but it seems like with a little effort they could be greatly ameliorated. I like the concept, and it doesn't have to be re-set each time.

THE STEALTH MAGNUM

Here is my latest arm. It's a 14" with a large diameter carbon fibre 'wand'
I've moved away from some of the original design points and maybe it's time to start a new thread?
Regards
Chris

Attachments

• DSCF6740.jpg
    DSCF6740.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 482
  • DSCF6735.jpg
    DSCF6735.jpg
    986.5 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCF6736.jpg
    DSCF6736.jpg
    889.7 KB · Views: 461
THE STEALTH MAGNUM

Hi Guys
A bit more ino and further pictures. The bearing is known as 'Cinematic' and is a variation on the usual point in a cup unipivot. It has three 2mm ball bearings arranged in a triangle shape mounted in the arm wand. A further 2mm ball then connects with these at their cenre- you can see this from the pictures. This is the same arrangement as used by Design, Build, Listen in the Wand.The arm lift is a standard Rega unit.

As some of you will know, I;ve built a whole range of different designs-from unipivots to WT clones to a wide variety of parallel trackers. I've also owned just about every arm you could think of- all sold off!

Sound-wise: my best design yet- it really sings with the XSV3000 cart.

Anyway.....more pictures:

Attachments

• DSCF6742.jpg
    DSCF6742.jpg
    794.6 KB · Views: 439
  • DSCF6746.jpg
    DSCF6746.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCF6748.jpg
    DSCF6748.jpg
    800.2 KB · Views: 299
Thanks for the link, Marra: now it's clear for me too.
Googling "Kinematic" drove me out off the path, someone talked about "3 balls over 4 balls, like a stack of old cannonballs"

Silly question: rolling bearings need some play to roll, and this means chattering for us: but don't we make unipivots just to avoid this?

Carlo

The tonearm proposed by Chris looks really smart and interesting, hope he will find the time to describe it in detail for all of us.
My question about the possible chattering was naive, of course, but that of Canzld (spheres free or fixed) imho is not at all.
This little drawing was done trying to better understand the problems of unipivot bearings. My notes are as reliable as as my experience of unipivots (I made just one, with a ballpen bearing: the ball, instead of lubricated, was superglued)
carlo

Attachments

• pro-con.jpg
    pro-con.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 509
nanook calling "Nanookists"....

Guys,

My lastest build has everything that I think is most important.:

• easy to build (but not too easy);
  • improved cosmetics;
  • simple (but tedious) adjustment of azimuth, VTF, VRA;
  • tough as nails (although during the construction of the last one I did kill off 2 arm tubes). If your cat knocks it off the turntable, it will survive;
  • the addition of an effective anti-skate adjustment;
  • the addition of a safety mechanism to minimize the likelihood of knocking the arm off the bearing possibly damaging the stylus of your carridge.
This particular arm is going to a recording engineer who works in film and television. I'll post some photos (if I took any). It is being installed on an idler turntable within a McIntosh based system. It is the closest to an ideal version of the "219" that I have built to date.

All of Chris' efforts are obviously nicely made, but methinks they are wandering a little away from the original intent of the "219" tonearm. (BTW, if I was building these in my current iteration, I'd have to charge a significant amount for one, so no longer a $2.19 tonearm). The original intent was to make something from easy to get off the shelf parts. His "Magnum" reminds me of a particular commercial product already being manufactured.

Anything that is not strictly a "219"should perhaps be discussed elsewhere. I know Chris made copies of the "219" and sold them (at a ridiculously high price in my opinion for what was/is a DIY design). Nothing against Chris, however if he wants to further his own designs, please go ahead. I know my arms won't look as nice, but I know exactly what they sound like and will gladly pit them against any, regardless of price (I know that sounds arrogant) if I improve a few minor areas. As is, they are easily on par with the magnesium SME 309 of a few years ago (but have not compared it to the newest version which I was unaware had been introduced). So in my opinion you'd have to spend USD $1900 or more from an existing arm to better it. I know the Thomas Schick would be at least on par, and the level of fit and finish is superb. But if I was retailing my tonearms, the "219" tonearms would still a price advantage. If I ever get my sh*t together, I'll do just that and improve all of my concerns regarding convenience and cosmetics. Guess what? The improvements are already designed and ready to go.

I do not see the benefits of using carbon-fibre. I also see that the Orbit Arm 2 (or whatever they call it now) is using Gimbal bearings, as though Gimbals are superior. They simply are not. Also regarding any possible bearing chatter, there is "zero", none, zip, zilch ...
... if you use appropriate sized pen nib/balls and an appropriate size set screw as a female bearing there is no chatter.

Hi Stew
I fully understand where you are coming from and in no way do I wish to denegrate or undermine what you do. The problem is that I'm an inveterate 'Twiddler' as my wifre calls it and I can't resist trying different ideas out. Work commitments tend to get in the way of me playing around with ideas so these come in fits and starts. I'm not in competition with anyone-just having a lot of fun making things.
Regards
Chris

a possible kit?

dimkasta: The kit thing is almost a dead idea. If any want one, I'd have to see if any here would pay a reasonable price so that I could build twenty or so. Although they are simple, there are a couple of details that require attention.

sachu888: I'll PM you ...

All: I've PM'd Chris. Just to clear the air, we (myself and Chris) have always been cordial and polite. I do know Chris has nothing but good intentions and I respect the apparent quality of his builds. There is no "hate" going on here at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.