My first Open Baffle Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't think it's so easy to build an open baffle. Very tricky with a lot of geometrical and diffraction problem if you want to do it right.
If you want to build it easier you should use active crossover and active correction. It is not plug and play like a BR or a close box design.

Enjoy with your loudspeaker.

Hi Long drive 55

I briefly tried my first valve amp on these speakers last week. I rebuilt my audionote oto EL84 amplifier..... added dual mono power supplies with seperate chokes . power transformers hexfed rectifiers, petp caps black gate power supply caps and every power and signal cable was converted to silver originated ones.

Having worked with the gainclone and F5 clone on these speakers only, the Audionote (of very similar power output) brough back the soundstaging and depth in particular, as well as more air and detail i had been missing.

I was not so convinced when i started adding the resistors as mentioned and reverted back to the original cap only for the tweeters.

Still need to do more testing though and restricted by the house rebuild at present.

audiojoy said:
[B
Yes these discs are stuck on and taken off very readily indeed with no visible damage and appear to be reusable time after time. These felt pads were suggested by Mr Bastanis. [/B]

Hi Audiojoy:

They're very effective, though not quite as good as wool F11 or F13 felt. The reasons seem to be two:

1: They're synthetic, which leads to great consistency. Good for manufacturing, bad for acoustics.

2: They're dense for durability. Lower density allows more energy to pass into the material rather than reflect off the surface, it also creates a 'rougher' profile.

All that said, they're cheap, readily available, and do work. Adhesive backed cork is also a good choice for the app.

Hi Audiojoy,
I'm intrigued with your interpretation of the Bastanis - I am at a turning point myself. I'm unhappy with my current setup and the dealers just want to sell me more expensive kit, but necessarily better !

Can you tell me :

1) How you arrived at choice of drivers ?
2) What frequency you are crossing the drivers ?
3) Which horn did you use for the compression tweeters ?
4) How you joined the various bits of wood together ?
5) Where can you buy baltic birch ply from ?
6) Are you using any sound processing ? e.g. deq2496

Thanks
fs

Part of what intrigues me about this configuration is that it mirrors one I heard 40 years ago and is still recalled whenever I think of the few times I have heard outstandingly solid phantom images.

The occasion was 1969 and it was two pairs of identical Wharfedale speakers, stacked, of unknown model number, but which consisted as far as I remember of 12 inch wide range drivers in large reflex boxes and probably run nearly if not full range with a little paper cone tweeter supplying the top.
Even then I was aware of the theoretical hazards of multiple drivers carrying the same signal, but the central image of the singer (Janis Joplin!) against the stereo background I still hear to this day. It was one of those situations where the image was so solid it was obvious even with your back turned to the speakers.

The similarity to this is the 2 paper cone twelves playing wideband and vertically oriented apparently producing no particular ill effect even though there are two distinct path lengths.

I had a similar experience when I was 14 years old. I was cycling past a hifi store and heard some awful singing - it was a fat german woman singng opera I believe ! I stopped to take a look through the door to see who was making all that racket. I found out they were demonstrating Quad ESLs, so far I haven't found anything as real, as palpable.

I'd like to come close to that experiece I had, almost thirty years ago. Now I've found out that electrostatics are not perfect and are quite maintenance, and not to mention expensive. So I'm hoping OB will be a good compromise.

Firestorm a lot of the answers you seek are on the thread above.
I had the speakers cut out as per BAstani's site at a cnc wood machining centre next to white hart lane, pride and joy of London Tottenham hotspurs football club. Sorry about that had to get that one in, we are afterall going worldwide. 1" ply included, it cost £200, I just had to glue the bits together as per bastanis speakers.

The tweeter crossover is a simple uf cap so i guess about 4-5k.

The speakers used are all discussed in detail in the above posts.

have not experimented with them for several months now awaiting completion of my house. But i can state that it loved a valve amp more than solid states that i have so far tried

Luke

HI
yes the house is nearly finsihed. The hifi room should at long last be available for use at the end of this month, the experiments can then begin again both for the YAmaha NS1000, these present open baffles, crossovers, dipole subwoofers , the oto, f3, f5 triangle te 60, phono stages etc etc cant wait.

ok pulled out the speakers for the first time in a long time, house almost finished,using the loft rooms meantime.

Addding resistors in parallel to the woofers as per Bastanis, ranging from 10-20 ohms made for a tonally leaner sound, slightly more dynamic, better focus. But cannot live with the loss of perceived tonal warmth and timbrel detail, which are far more important to me. The effect gets more extreme the higher the ohmage used.

Wondering what more the Hammer Dynamics super 12's could bring to my modified eminence full rangers minus whizzer?? Soon to do 'damar' and 'the dotting matrix enabling' stuff on mine.

Still sounds very cohesive and smooth throughout the frequency range without any audible bumps, unlike my Yamaha NS1000's. To be truthful sounds so much single-driver like despite there being three drivers per speaker. Only quibble, perhaps the imaging is a little bloated with limited depth but i am in a small room and up close at present, until I move into the Hifi room.

That Cohesivenss must be partly due to the lack of a heavily populated crossovers, also the tweeter does sit in a 'coaxial style' in the BAstanis arrangement, sandwiched between the 2 subwoofers.

Dipole subwoofer to be upgraded to 15" peerlesss long throws shortly.

Sorry no measurements possible. But will be comparing them to Yamaha NS1000's/ESL57's for sound.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.