My favorite drink is "mate". Yours?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
I forgot to mention one more favorite drink: carrot juice.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Anatoliy, from such a big DIYer like yourself I'd have expected that you make your own kefir and fresh juice. Doesn't everybody in health-nut California have a juicer? I know a number of people here that have kefir "grains" from the mountains of Georgia; the home made kefir is very different than the one found in stores. Much better, IMHO. I made home made kefir myself for a while. As for juice, I got a masticating juicer and make almost every morning a concoction of several fruits and veggies.

Anatoliy, from such a big DIYer like yourself I'd have expected that you make your own kefir and fresh juice. Doesn't everybody in health-nut California have a juicer? I know a number of people here that have kefir "grains" from the mountains of Georgia; the home made kefir is very different than the one found in stores. Much better, IMHO. I made home made kefir myself for a while. As for juice, I got a masticating juicer and make almost every morning a concoction of several fruits and veggies.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

perfection doesn't have limits

But in the meantime , let us stick to the Mate , that has its valid arguments too...

Attachments

• chica tomando mate.jpg
    chica tomando mate.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 58
In my family everyone takes mate, even "Pepe the parrot", except me. :eek:
But I know something about the subject.;)

To "cebar mate" (prepare mate) is necessary a "mate" (vessel), a "bombilla" (metal straw), "yerba mate" (Ilex paraguariensis), sugar (optional) and of course hot water in a container.
One of the most passionate topics of discussion around here is the water temperature.
So much so that some universities have done experiments about.

sic "Mate is a physical-chemical extraction mixture and leaching. From 78 ºC, water begins to lose most of the gases dissolved in it (very tiny bubbles those first you see at the bottom of the kettle and usually up near the walls ...). Many of them correspond to carbon dioxide. This gas has the ability to adsorb (yes, with d, as a sort of adherence) to the strands of "yerba mate". Because CO2 is a poor conductor of heat, protects chips "burn" when their microbubbles (not visible) are adsorbed on them, because - let us say, the isolates from excessive heat, and does not degrade the heat flavorings (do not forget that the flavors are really smells) and substances present in the "yerba mate" that gives features to the infusion "mate" helping-to-well extraction is gradual. So it is that from the 78/80 º C, the mate is "washed" since the extraction is sharp and will be degraded compounds / flavorings. It is a matter of Physical Chemistry and / or Process Engineering, for unusual look and believe it or not, is often treated as such tangible and easily checked at the University."

Moreover, the Uruguayans, heavy drinkers of mate (they "ceban mate" while driving a motorcycle !), have determined that the water should be at 85 ° C just before being poured into the thermos, then the process loses about 5 ° C.

Conclusion: The ideal water temperature for mate is between 78 º C to 80 ° C, so that our OP, drinks cold mate...:D
QED.

All I know is that at a certain temperature, mate thorough a metal bombilla will burn the hairs right off your tongue!! I did it yesterday. Ouch!

This would be very dangerous on a motorcycle in downtown Montevideo!

I usually heat water until I can see bubbles in it, then pour the water into a metal pitcher.

I think that the heating process can drive the CO2 out of the water then as it cools in the metal pitcher, it reaches a more comfortable temperature to drink.

But you are saying that the heated water must be kept UNDER 78C for lasting flavor, correct?

Anyway, good to see that local universities are doing useful research.

Thanks for the scientific advice! I'll tell my Argentina-born wife.

Attachments

• images6.jpg
    images6.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 33
  • images5.jpg
    images5.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 31
  • images4.jpg
    images4.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 26
  • images3.jpg
    images3.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 28
  • images2.jpg
    images2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 25
  • images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 27
  • images0.jpg
    images0.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1210857553_f.jpg
    1210857553_f.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 417542ED7.jpg
    417542ED7.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 55
I remember reading an article that talked about a study done on drinkers of mate and increased risk of oral cancer. The study concluded that the increased risk was due to tissue damaged incured by drinking mate at such high temperatures.

I'm on my phone or I would ty to find a link to the study.

Your digestion relies on bacteria that live in your intestines. Kill them, and you die. Kefir, buttermilk, pickled vegetables, and other similar products traditionally were made using special fito-bacteria that predigest products, release lactic acid that act as conversant, as the result the product is healthier and preserved for long storage. Modern methods of preservation destroy "good" bacteria, destroy fats making them less usable, and poisonous, destroy proteins, destroy vitamins,enzymes, and add harmful preservatives into products. Fermented foods are not only healthy, they are vital especially for those who were taking antibiotics that destroy digestion.

Thank you Captain Obvious!
When I grew up we were making our own yoghurts, kefir and such (my mother still does, along with her own sourdough bread) but I'd still worry if the kefir came straight from the goats teat as that would imply that said goats udder is carrying a fungal infection.

Sadly our kefir fungus died over a holiday. Unlike yoghurt cultures they grow quite big. Whenever it got to fist-sized we cut it up and gave some to others.
It resembles a gristly sponge.

PS: It is good to destroy some enzymes as happens partially when making soy sauce or tofu the traditional way. In its raw state soy contains enzymes which stop the body taking up vitamins and some are oestrogen analogues (a cup of soy milk has an effect similar to a birth control pill). Soya beans are not fit for human consumption. The fall in male sperm counts globally correlates nicely with the rise of soya beans as a cheap foodstuff.
There is a reason east asians never eat soy beans in their natural state.
They've learned that over centuries.
Generally I stick with the advice given by a leading nutritionist: Don't eat anything, including additives, that has not been eaten by people for at least 150 years without problems.

Generally I stick with the advice given by a leading nutritionist: Don't eat anything, including additives, that has not been eaten by people for at least 150 years without problems.

I do it now, after period that can be called "obscure night", when my belief was that modern science and technology brought our lifestyle up on the level that was not possible 150 years ago. But in order to understand the value of what we lost we needed to experience the difference. Is it excuse or explanation? I don't know. But modern science helps to understand wisdom of ancient cultures, reinventing lost bicycles.

what bunch of drunks!!!. I job about 4 mounts in "Cevecería Quilmes" (a factory of beer here in Buenos Aires) and now I can't even smell a jar of beer. Puaj.

The real beer is a nutritious and healthy beverage, but in Argentina exponentially increased their consumption, which forced them to change the law of food, the elaboration process was accelerated, and as a result now sell a chemical, flavored-beer.:rolleyes:

My great uncle worked in a brewery in Freising (Germany) and once told me that the "Schopp" or "Chopp" is a natural beer unpasteurized and has no added chemicals.;)

He also told me a funny anecdote.
Every so often, they opened a barrel, and to leave no "footprints" were to drink it all, "We drinked up to five liters each one and then still we could found our house"

:D

As my father taught me: Beer = liquid bread.

Of course I make sure that the beer I drink has been brewed according to the ancient (well since 1516 anyway) german purity law, the only ingredients allowed are barley or wheat, hops, yeast and water and nothing else ie no rice, maize and certainly no chemicals of any kind.

As my father taught me: Beer = liquid bread.

Of course I make sure that the beer I drink has been brewed according to the ancient (well since 1516 anyway) german purity law, the only ingredients allowed are barley or wheat, hops, yeast and water and nothing else ie no rice, maize and certainly no chemicals of any kind.

And, do you find such a beverage nowadays?

A lot of microbrewery beer in the USA is made such. There are many German beer that still adhere to the purity laws. In fact, I think all do except wheat beer.

I used to culture yeast from German, Belgian and some American beer back when I made beer as a hobby.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.