My Dream Aleph 2 Coming True

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've only used that type of stuff for CPU's.
Bad idea as thermal pad? No.
Bad idea as the only way to hold the fets to the sink? YES!
Temp changes cause expansion/contraction. I've witnessed temp change break steel rail, as in railroad track rail. No amount of stickyness will hold it up to the sink for long.
If u screw/clamp they will move but will keep the die against the sink.

Just my thoughts.

:D. I played one channel for an hour and a half! It is still an open enclosure.. :D

The rectifier diodes got very hot, even with very large sink.. i am worried that if i close it up it may get even hotter. The 9610s on the amp board were fine with the bigger sink. I put the two 9610s on one sink coupled thermally, electrically insulated..
The main sinks were luke warm, the back of the 240s got very hot as well as the source resistors, I'm not worried about them though.

I'm super excited to have it playing through my good speakers, no hum. My wife was shocked that it worked. I still have some redesign to do before i can close the enclosure, wires are in the way, unfortunately.

The sound is sweet, even in mono. Awesome amplifier, thanks again for all your help. :p

What did you decide to do for mounting the big fets to the sink?
The big fets should get warm, but not hot. Unless someone knows better, the fets shouldn't get warmer than the sinks. At the most the same temp.
I want to be sure you don't cook a fet. If that happens it will give DC on you speakers.
I bet your source res are getting warm from the thermal conduction from the fets.
P=I*E so .5x.5 for the DC side of the cir. Add the ac and you still don't get that hot on a 5W res?

You should be able to hold your fingers on the fets for 5-6 seconds at least, can you?

Oh no! That is great information!! You have me worried. My first monoblock im using this double sided tape with an aluminum piece that presses down on all 3 fets with only one screw in the middle fet. The aluminum piece gets very hot, either through the screw in the middle, or the heat coming from the back of the fet through the pcb board..
I think i need to re mount them with each fet on their own screw hole, maybe even with mica/ grease.
I just recently learned to tap ( good tools really helped).
I also saw that i am using the 240s and not the 244s.

Well, I'm more confident now than before. I have been thinking of mounting the fets correctly in the pre drilled holes and doing point to point soldering.. get rid of the outside boards, the are cut in half already...

I'm all ears!

Well look I might be being overly cautious.
When you say hot... How hot? Can you hold your finger tip on the fets close to the fets for more that 5 seconds without cussing?
You might be fine but I'm not there... Know what I mean?
244/240 dosent matter.
I just don't wanna say ok good to go and zap u need new fets AND voicecoils!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.