My "audiophile" LM3886 approach

OK, I have to be close now.... :)

I did some rework last night and this morning. I moved a lot around in the lower half to get pretty massive space between components. :) I also tried to make the bypass elcos a little less assymetrical. :)

Attachments

• pcb.png
    pcb.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,844
Russ White said:

I sincerely believe Mauro means he hopes to have NOT offended carlmart. :)

No offense was taken, of course. As I don't think Mauro took my comments as offensive, either. We are both latins and may get quite emotional in defending our points. But no one is intending to offend anyone here, just defending a philosophy on how to deal with audio tools.

It looks to me as if Mauro prefers a certain type of supplies, shunt types, that are considered less "invasive" than others that are more active and rely on feedback to lower noise and impedance. Perhaps our differences start and end there. Not willing to discuss this any further.

In any case it's a good chance to provide both options on the pcb and try them. Then see what are the listenable differences and comment on them.

Carlos

I'm another one of those flys buzzing around watching this thread loving the energy and devotion you guys are putting into it. stan
Same here ! I ordered the $7.00 trafo and hope for a group buy of the finished revC boards and hope Brian does parts kits again.
Russ, it's so neet to see a design evolving.

Attachments

• pcb1.png
    pcb1.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,563
Sorry to have been away and not respond. I'm at the local (though 200 miles from home) library and sufferin' with sticky mouse buttons. Click heels and say: "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's...
You are saying you would like pads for smaller C3/C8? That would have to result in a pretty significant circuit alteration (what are thinking like 1500uf?) I would think, but hey, I have no objection to seeing how it looks. Wouldn't 7.5mm be reasonable?

Russ, your latest revision fills the bill. (C17 & C18) Audio Express included in a recent issue (May, 2005) an article on the benefits of proper selection of caps in a power supply. A group of three different caps for filtering provided superior results. An addenda to that article is here:

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/addenda/505StamlerTables.pdf

Also, my question about the location of the LM3886 seems to have been addressed...so that alteration of the board or heatsink is not required.

Also, Russ and Brian, my vendor tells me a package (and a surprise) is on it's way to each of you.

Remember, We're all in this together, there's plenty to go around and we don't need to keep score.

Thanks so much!

bg40403 said:
Audio Express included in a recent issue (May, 2005) an article on the benefits of proper selection of caps in a power supply. A group of three different caps for filtering provided superior results. An addenda to that article is here:

Can you tell a little more on how to read AudioXpress findings on those caps?

I think I am not getting which are the superior caps. The article probably uses some curves with the findings and how they affect impedance.

Carlos

bg40403 said:

Russ, your latest revision fills the bill. (C17 & C18) Audio Express included in a recent issue (May, 2005) an article on the benefits of proper selection of caps in a power supply. A group of three different caps for filtering provided superior results. An addenda to that article is here:

Thank you Ed, One cannot help but remember. :)

So I suppose you like C19 and C20 as well?

Very intesting tables....

Thanks,
Russ

Good to go!

I've been saving the different iteations and this is the best one.

Any problems with someone else making a copy?

I can do it from the posts through photoshop. Or you can be absolutely generous and post it as a PDF.

This is going to be very interesting. I have a shootout going on now between some Aleph X's mauros latest ala the intrepid Russ White and a new design by Graham Maynard that is coming to fruition. NEAT!

DIY RULES!!!

And Russ you no longer have to worry about any of your board skills. You rock!

Mark

Re: Good to go!

mwmkravchenko said:

I can do it from the posts through photoshop. Or you can be absolutely generous and post it as a PDF.

This is going to be very interesting. I have a shootout going on now between some Aleph X's mauros latest ala the intrepid Russ White and a new design by Graham Maynard that is coming to fruition. NEAT!

DIY RULES!!!

Mark

Let us know how this shootout ranks. I had a X, diy , a while back, either it did not like not like my Lowthers, or it was not exactly finished. It was fast, powerfull, and full range. Dynamically it slammed, but it may have not liked the 16 plus ohm load, and it may have not been optimal for mW power output levels. It had an edge, and seemed to sound "solid state" compared to my tube amps and a Pass Zen V4. a mini Aleph worked much better.
I hope to listen to my amp by middle of next week. There is a dual mono, battery powered SI 5066 driving my speakers now.

George

Re: Good to go!

mwmkravchenko said:

DIY RULES!!!

Mark

Mark,
Must say I'm looking forward to the outcome of this.
I have just built Grahams 25W class A and running it in ready to compare to my Buffered Regulated GC and modded T-Amp. This 3886 design has certainly sparked my interest and looks like it my well become my next amp project. I quite fancy doing a version of this with parallel 3886 for better current drive, or possibly a bridged/parallel with balanced inputs based on the same principal, but that may take quite a bit of working out :xeye:

Dickie