Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach

I think the opposite is true. My near field bass removes the room from the equation by a great deal. In such a situation all cues (even tactile cues) contribute to possible localization of a sub.
Adding lots of sources can create "phasiness" (above 80Hz) which tells our hearing "no useful localization cues other than you're within an enclosed space". While this may be pleasant for music reproduction, it's not what stereo is about. Lipshitz talks about this in his paper "Stereo Microphone Techniques: Are the Purists Wrong?". A highly recommended read.
Can you post a waterfall of the setup with near field subs? Measured at 85db or higher with long enough impulse.

1)So what specific information do you use to "time-align"?
2)What do you align to what?
3)What specific parameters do you measure to determine proper "time-alignment"?
Markus,

1)Arrival time of the loudspeaker at the preferred listening position.
My preferred listening position would be equidistant from the left and right main speakers.
2)After the arrival time of the various loudspeakers to be time aligned is determined, the loudspeakers are delayed to equal the "time of flight" of the loudspeaker with the longest arrival time, with any filters to be employed also in circuit. Proper polarity must be then be determined (proper polarity will result in gain in level from multiple speakers, reversed polarity will drop in level).
3) Phase and frequency response are measured, they will be smoothest when time alignment (and equalization, and acoustic crossover) is correct. Reversing polarity of a sub will result in a dip in response at the acoustic crossover point.

Art

So we have three different multiple sub approaches (Art, Markus and I). We all think that ours sounds great (Markus even claims his sounds best although he hasn't heard any of the others.) And the one thing that we all look for is a smooth LF response. Seems to me that smoothness must be far and away the most important or we would not have all come to this same conclusion. Could it be that all the rest (phase, delay, etc.) for which all of our setups would differ, is pretty much irrelevant?

Markus,

My preferred listening position would be equidistant from the left and right main speakers.
2)After the arrival time of the various loudspeakers to be time aligned is determined, the loudspeakers are delayed to equal the "time of flight" of the loudspeaker with the longest arrival time, with any filters to be employed also in circuit. Proper polarity must be then be determined (proper polarity will result in gain in level from multiple speakers, reversed polarity will drop in level).
3) Phase and frequency response are measured, they will be smoothest when time alignment (and equalization, and acoustic crossover) is correct. Reversing polarity of a sub will result in a dip in response at the acoustic crossover point.

Art

You would perform step 1) for multiple subs too?

So we have three different multiple sub approaches (Art, Markus and I).

We do? I would favor a DBA or a near field sub. If that's not feasible then I think Welti's SFM is the most reasonable approach.
I'm not sure how you do your optimization these days. I believe your approach changed over time?

We all think that ours sounds great (Markus even claims his sounds best although he hasn't heard any of the others.)

He did, that's why he thinks that near field sounds so good.

And the one thing that we all look for is a smooth LF response. Seems to me that smoothness must be far and away the most important or we would not have all come to this same conclusion. Could it be that all the rest (phase, delay, etc.) for which all of our setups would differ, is pretty much irrelevant?

I agree when we talk about frequencies below 80Hz. But, I consider low modal ringing as important as smooth frequency response within the listening area.

Markus

Have you found delay to be useful in setting up multiple subs? I ask because I have not found this to be the case. I have never used delay in any of my sub setups and tend to get very good results. When experimenting with delay I found that huge changes result across the band and it was very difficult to get a particular problem in a narrow region resolved without making other regions worse. This is not so with say a narrow band boost or cut filter.

This is exactly what I have found. My subs have no delay whatsoever, and I did experiment with the feature on my DCX.

Best,
Anand.

Smoothness. That's the point to using multiple subs isn't it - to create more modes so as to approximate the sensation of infinite modes?

Or, if I understand correctly, in Markus's case, as he expresses it, to mask the room's scarcity of modes by replacing the room's modal behaviour with that of the recording's space?

Do not the two approaches amount to the same thing? As the room approaches having subjectively infinite modes do we not hear the modal behaviour of the recording's space?

^
Even if the steady state sound field with multiple subs behaves similar to a sound field with infinite modes, there's still the modal decay of that particular room. Short modal decay is as important as smooth frequency response.

I was going to agree with you but then second thoughts tell me to think about it - I'm not sure. My doubts have something to do with masking.

^
Even if the steady state sound field with multiple subs behaves similar to a sound field with infinite modes, there's still the modal decay of that particular room. Short modal decay is as important as smooth frequency response.

If you had read my book then you would know that I have always said that good damping at LFs is critical. I said this long before I ever talked about multiple subs, so low modal decay is nothing new to me. Once you have that then I'd say that any approach that has a smooth frequency response is going to be about the same, delay won't matter.

You have a room that you have to live with unchanged, so near field subs is just about your only choice, but lets not pretend that it is superior to all others, just because you can't do any of them.

If you had read my book then you would know that I have always said that good damping at LFs is critical. I said this long before I ever talked about multiple subs, so low modal decay is nothing new to me. Once you have that then I'd say that any approach that has a smooth frequency response is going to be about the same, delay won't matter.

I'm aware that you have lots of low frequency damping in your room. And it's crucial. You tend to forget to mention that fact when you talk about multiple subs. People think they are getting one (smooth frequency response) with the other (low ringing). This is not the case with multiple subs. The only exception is a DBA.

You have a room that you have to live with unchanged, so near field subs is just about your only choice, but lets not pretend that it is superior to all others, just because you can't do any of them.

Well I've already said that DBA would be my first choice - it's somewhere in my book :tongue:
In my room near field sub is superior to all other practical choices and the result speaks for itself. I've posted data. I've seen a lot of data, even from dedicated spaces that perform worse - much worse. I'd like to see some data from your room too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by weltersys

You would perform step 1) for multiple subs too?
Yes, without step 1 it would be impossible to time align anything.

I should point out that the charts I posted of my home system are of a single dual 12" sealed bandpass sub placed slightly off center between the sealed L/R main speakers. Since the response is smooth (enough) I have never felt any compelling need for multiple subs.

I don't use any delay on that system, or my shop system, which uses four subs and 8 L/R speakers, or my control room system which has a single sub and L/R monitors, or my kitchen and patio systems which also have a single subs and L/R speakers.
The patio system would benefit from delaying the tops to the tapped horn sub, but the path length of the horn puts it about one wavelength behind at the acoustic crossover, so it still (roughly) "lines up" in phase response and the frequency response is OK.

I use delay to align the lows, mids and highs on the sound reinforcement systems used for concerts.

Art

So, with this new-found element of personal disclosure appearing in this thread, it turns out there isn't much for good folks to argue about.

Depending on all kinds of factors, you might benefit from alignment or you migh not be remotely able to achieve any kind of alignment or you might not need alignment or some combination of those depending on the room, damping, symmetry, speaker location, and direct or dipole, and who knows what more.

Based on reading posts, it looks to me like alignment can help at times and alignment can't help at times. Both points of view are right.

Ben

Last edited: