• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jean-paul said:
Are you sure this is still a beta version Russ ? It is looking better by the day. To be honest I did not even see the powerplane, probably because the colors resemble eachother on the picture.

Thanks! I will likely be overcome with happiness if the circuit simply works... :D

I do want to get it as good as I can though before investing in a batch of PCBs.

So is a the common groundplane taboo? Or is it as good as two joined with a large trace?

Cheers!
Russ

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It's all in the document of Guido. Keep the current loops locally and closed. One groundplane should work if decoupling is done well locally. Maybe Guido can shed some light on the pcb. Let's ask him. I mailed him if he can have a look at the board.

It would indeed be nice if the thing actually works the first time.

jean-paul said:
It's all in the document of Guido. Keep the current loops locally and closed. One groundplane should work if decoupling is done well locally. Maybe Guido can shed some light on the pcb. Let's ask him. I mailed him if he can have a look at the board.

It would indeed be nice if the thing actually works the first time.

Hi,

I just briefly looked at the PCB. It takes quite a while to study such PCB without schematic, though the design looks straightforward.

- I don't see ferrite beads in the supply lines of all digital ICs
- I don't see a direct connect between the 2 grounds of the 8416
- The decoupling seems fairly well placed, close to the ICs

I am happy to see one groundplane, and no powerplane

best

Guido

Guido Tent said:

Hi,

I just briefly looked at the PCB. It takes quite a while to study such PCB without schematic, though the design looks straightforward.

- I don't see ferrite beads in the supply lines of all digital ICs
- I don't see a direct connect between the 2 grounds of the 8416
- The decoupling seems fairly well placed, close to the ICs

I am happy to see one groundplane, and no powerplane

best

Guido
Thank you very much! You are kind to look it over. I will study your advice and see what I can do.

Adding ferrites should be no problem.

Guido, if you are agreeable to it I would be very happy to send you the eagle files for even closer inspection.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

Thank you very much! You are kind to look it over. I will study your advice and see what I can do.

Adding ferrites should be no problem.

Guido, if you are agreeable to it I would be very happy to send you the eagle files for even closer inspection.

Cheers!
Russ

Hello Russ,

Most welcome. Actually we use Protel over here, can't read Eagle files.... PDF is OK though.

cheers

Ferrites added....

And also made a direct GND path between the GND pins on the receiver.

Guido, I will send you a higher resolution image.

Top components are not shown for clarity. The ferrites would be 1206 SMD types mounted on the bottom.

I used a single ferrite for each supply pin.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• dac.png
    dac.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,439
hayenc said:
One last question. It would seem we could do differential digital in with some resistor changes. I am not too sure about grounding for differential digital input. Would we only ground at the XLR connector or would we want a third pin on the SPDIF for ground?

Craig has a great question here. It seems easy enough for me just to use a 3 position terminal block instead of two. I will see what I can dig up.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Russ White said:

Hello Max,

Very well thanks, even if a bit strained in the eyes from re-reading data sheets. :D

I am looking at page 21 of the WM8740 data sheet, and I do not see the 51R resistor on LRCIN or DIN. So I hope I am OK. :scratch:

They would not hurt at that spot either but I think Max referred to the I2S header...

Russ White said:

Craig has a great question here. It seems easy enough for me just to use a 3 position terminal block instead of two. I will see what I can dig up.

Please keep in mind that the input circuit needs to be adapted as well for 110 Ohm AES/EBU use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.