More magic stones and hockey pucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Simon; I prefer memory foam toppers on walls instead of resonators. With them reproduction sounds more live than "Philharmonic Orchestra in Bathroom".

However, when I was young I dreamed to have cheap audio delay lines to implement "echo generators" containing a mic, delay line, amp, and speaker. However, I don't live in a small room in a student campus anymore, so despite of presence of cheap delay lines I lost interest to the idea.

Actually some of the guys who measure absorption in echoic chambers have been finding that the traditional formulas may be wrong. It may actually be that it is the absorption at the boundaries that does most of the work!

The mic - delay - loudspeaker system for concert hall or similar use is offered by two major manufacturers.

Immediately after I installed such a system the reviewers who were not aware of any such change were quite surprised by the difference, but attributed it to a different cause. Management kept very quiet about their new secret!

I'll do that right after I try the suggestion by the Nigerian fellow who wants my bank account info so he can give me $12 million. Hey, you never know, it *could* be real this time!

And you could open a bank account with $.01 to test the proposal! It would seem with the payoff promised the odds would be in your favor!

SY you understand we disagree on this issue of intent. I think the folks who offer these unusual products and the folks who review them are sincere. So I give them the benefit of the doubt.

So I think the real issue is that I prefer not to make fun of what appear to be unsupported claims, you don't. But if you send me your credit card number ....

I admittedly have a low tolerance for fraud.

Should we give back New York city? The guys who took the beads weren't even of the right tribe?

(Would they want it back?)

So our disagreement is I think the reviewers certainly are sincere and most of the "Manufacturers."

I suggest we do the honorable thing and duel it out. Water pistols tomorrow at high noon. I'll shoot in your direction you in mine. First to soak the other guy wins!

If these folks actually have anything that is serious, they should say so, or they will be ridiculed to no end. So will the reviewers. Who knows, snake oil may actually be good for something other than lubricating snakes. If so, explain it. "Make oxygen more conductive to sound". Yea, it is called LOX. As a liquid, it will transfer vibration more efficiently. I doubt they are making your room -267 C.

A salesman was demonstrating the "clear difference" between a generic decent cable and whatever he was making his boat payment off that month. Yup, a clear difference. His special cable rolled off at about 12K. I never returned. They are gone.

"The H2 stimulates the oxygen's molecules in a way that improves its viscosity thus allowing it act much more effectively.The basic principle is similar to a catalyser. Technically it works with capacitively activated crystals. The air molecules inside of the listening room are jogged through the loudspeaker and thus transmit the sound information. In order to elongate the air molecules from their rest position it is necessary to spend energy first. It is much easier to move them if once moving. This phenomenon is similar to static and dynamic friction. To force a heavy piece of rock to move is not an easy task. But if it is once moving it can be much easier shifted further. The Steinmusic Harmonizer is working very similar, but rather at a level of ethereal states...."

OK, now you can laugh. There's nothing so stupid that you can't find someone gullible enough to believe it.

It is actually kind of funny description of an air heater.

We never covered "ethereal states" in my physics degree. I think I will have to complain; I thought I was receiving a good education but obviously something important was missing. I can't complain about not hearing of air stiction before, as I skipped the module on fluid dynamics.

When I saw the device was called H2 I assumed it was pumping out oxygen-free Dihydrogen Monoxide - that would certainly mean your music listening would go with a bang. Very high quality snubbers would be needed on all switches in order to maintain the structural integrity of your house.

SY said:
I wonder why this isn't claimed to affect the nitrogen molecules, after all, they're 80% of the air in the room.
You, as a chemist, ought to know that H2 "stimulates" oxygen molecules much better than it does nitrogen.

Last edited:
Only if your room is at absolute zero, otherwise the oxygen molecules are already zipping around quite rapidly.
Children on school field are zipping around quite rapidly, but fast enough for Olympic games?

I wonder why this isn't claimed to affect the nitrogen molecules, after all, they're 80% of the air in the room.
It is commercial secret, about nitrogen. You can guess if from the name of the device.

They laughed at Ohm, Einstein and Chase!

They laughed at Stan Pons, Rene Blondlot, and Hal Puthoff. And for good reason.

In this case, I think we're safe laughing. Or maybe not so much- this is not novel, it's all drearily familiar. I wish the hifi fraudsters would come up with something original and more entertaining than this recycled stuff.

I'm am tempted to side with simon7000 here. SY, is there a way you could engage yourself with these via an audition? We know your opinion is more than just respected and that their explanation leaves itself open to, shall we say, criticism? It would be great for you to offer more evidence even if just subjective. Something like you did with the Bybee's 'wonder units'. We need real debunking here. Any chance? Do we know anyone who happens to have taken the plunge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.