More magic stones and hockey pucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you curious enough to put a microphone there, chopping the RF would give an extremely sensitive measurement. Was that -30dB below 1mv or mW? Are you really talking about sub micro-Watts doing this, I think the broadband baeing seen backround is greater than this as well as this never beeing seen before. 1dB is not small.

Of course I am going to do the setup with an SLM and IEC bandpass filters. If I hear a difference and the meter shows that there is a slight level increase with increasing frequency, then the possibility of RF influence on my ears and the meter by filter band are slight. Since I own more than one meter of different manufacture I can even try several.

I figure I'll use a tweeter with either pink noise or swept sine wave at about a 30 foot distance. I will place a wire antenna under the entire path.

1 db is at the threshold of accurate and repeatable acoustic measurements. Anything less than that is interesting but doesn't carry much weight. In this case that is an increase in the sound energy of around 5 micro watts. (Mental quick calculation subject to revision or correction.)

On 1 mv that is the standard for cable TV.

Last edited:
Sound on NTSC TV standards was an FM subcarrier on an AM modulated signal. The bandwidth was pretty much up to the local station. Locally they didn't used to go above 8 Khz or so being worried it might cause interference with the picture quality.

Of course once cable came in there was some viewing choices where the images certainly improved the audio quality. :)

I mean, whistle of horizontal deflection... How well it lubricated oxygen molecules? :rolleyes:

Yes I got that. I prefer lubricating my internal oxygen molecules with alcohol.

Once I got a nibble of interesting effects with RF I haven't followed up to see if ultra-sonic does much more. I did try injecting some low level 60 Khz directly into my power amplifier and that did have an effect. It sounded worse, so I think that line of play is dead.

But you might have noticed some folks aren't quite following the actual thread and are getting confused by the analogies, dead issues and offering opinions that are very loosely based on the obvious answer of 42!

Of course today is a Thursday so we can blame it on the lighting.

What is the chance that the H2 device simple emits a bit of energy at 40kHz? The frequency would be carefully chosen because it excites a little-known unpublished 'resonance' in 'air molecules', and also because cheap 40kHz transducers are readily available and circuits to drive them can be found on the net. Someone with a bat detector may be able to tell us.

when speaking with the premier engineers and designers of ultrasonic sealers, they mentioned that the 40khz frequency choice is no simple accident.

Penetration through water based fluids and suspensions is the deal, and the energetic flow through H20 is best at...40 khz.

This is connected to the 1/f noise function variability in jfets..that is being discussed regarding it's complex origins..in the blowtorch thread, right now.

OK, so let's recap. Claims to be a physicist, but no real publications that I can find. Nor patents. Gives a gobbledy-gook explanation of how his devices work. No data. No specifications. No theory of operation. No controlled listening tests. Positive reviews by audio "writers" with histories of promoting nonsense. Stunningly high prices.

Sound familiar? I wouldn't be surprised if he drives a Bentley and takes less-rich designers out to expensive lunches.

In case some of you folks have not noticed that last sentence was a mildly disguised snide attack aimed at one person, who has been, in many important ways, forced into a position where he cannot answer to that snide and veiled attack.

This is not the kind of thing that a moderator on this forum should be allowed to do or indulge in - whatsoever.

How about a small bit from Nikolai Kozyrev?

He found that when doing very tightly controlled inertial tests, that a hard slamming of an object would change the inertially measured mass into dropping by about 20%, for a period of up to 30 minutes.

There's all kinds of other places in science to look. The Russians have been playing with interesting stuff that is outside of known public western science for many, many years.

Much of this stuff is coming to light due to the time when the old soviet union fell apart and much of the research and results that would normally be restricted to black ops, for political and military reasons (corporate connection/involvement are the bigger player in secrecy in the US)..all of that formerly restricted Russian work was spilled out into the public realm.

another avenue of study

Here's something else to try for those energetically enthused about weird and unusual possible events to improve their systems. Why not place a multi Curie radiation source near the listening position (Cobalt 60 comes to mind, maybe a gram or so ~1100 Ci). Given it's 5.25 year half life and high activity, this would allow many audiophiles an opportunity to expand their knowledge of radiation enhanced listening nirvana (at least for a short time).

Chances are pretty good the "break in" period for this tweak would be "short lived":rolleyes:;):eek:

Or, since sound travels at different speed in different medium, one could impose various materials between the transducer and the listener to compensate for inter-aural delay problems, diffraction effects, off axis radiation anomalies... ah the list goes on and on.

Just think, various tubes of water(4.3x speed in air), iron rods (nearly 15x faster), maybe some exotic stuff too!! interspersed and contraposed to the woofers and tweeters, etc... WoW!

John L.

Last edited:
KBK said:
How about a small bit from Nikolai Kozyrev?

He found that when doing very tightly controlled inertial tests, that a hard slamming of an object would change the inertially measured mass into dropping by about 20%, for a period of up to 30 minutes.
Now that would be interesting, as conventional science says it should gain mass due to mass-energy equivalence as kinetic energy is turned into heat. According to Wikipedia, even his fellow Russian scientists thought he was wrong.

If collisions altered mass, as is claimed, then the people at CERN and other accelerator labs would see this. They don't. Of course, it could be a big cover-up to hide the physics shared with us by the little green men who live on the far side of the moon.

Sorry ISP down yesterday. I used a test CD and a first generation B & K meter with a 1" capsule and IEC filter set. Setting was to 16 K octave bandwidth. I consider the difference interesting but not conclusive.

First photo is the baseline. The second is after the RF source is powered up.

Attachments

• No RF 16K ANSI Octave Filter CD Test Disc.JPG
    No RF 16K ANSI Octave Filter CD Test Disc.JPG
    606.9 KB · Views: 133
  • With RF.JPG
    With RF.JPG
    612.2 KB · Views: 128
My concern is not meter parallax, which appears to be small, but absorption. Unless you were doing this in an anechoic chamber the fact that the absorber is behind the meter does not necessarily prevent it from disturbing the reading.

Whether this is my first or last 'criticism' (I thought I just made a comment) depends on many things, including whether a serious discussion is possible or if people are just going to immediately assume their usual defensive positions.

My concern is not meter parallax, which appears to be small, but absorption. Unless you were doing this in an anechoic chamber the fact that the absorber is behind the meter does not necessarily prevent it from disturbing the reading.

Whether this is my first or last 'criticism' (I thought I just made a comment) depends on many things, including whether a serious discussion is possible or if people are just going to immediately assume their usual defensive positions.

It is pretty clear you have never done these kinds of measurements. There are lots of sources of error. It could be a fly down the block takes off because it feels the RF energy. It could be a camel sneezing.

But I am posting pictures that are representative of what I read on the meter and hear. It is not the result of a single trial.

Now if you want to try it yourself then you may get a feel for what is going on.

Wavey I use the standard Bruel and Kjaer filter set it meets the IEC definitions for what an octave filter should do. As I just use it for comparing what I measure to others work that is not something I worry about. You should be able to find more details on the B & K website.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.