More magic stones and hockey pucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stein Music?s Intriguing Accessories | Stereophile.com

I am particularly enamoured of the first posting in the comments.

Truly though the harmonmizers inventor has made a dramatic leap forward by enhancing it with a three-way switch. Its no doubt doubled manufacturing costs, so I expect the price has also gone up.

On a more serious note, I am fascinated that the effects claimed by the reviewer are ALL effects of perception - mind tricks we play on ourselves if you like.

It certainly gives a steer as to the causal mechanism of these devices (I use the term device very loosely here... possibly in the same way one would refer to a "Big Jim" 12 inch "internal massager" as a device)

... It used the same method to identify flaws as was developed for the cruise missile to check on where it was!

You mean this one?

"The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is the greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation.

The Inertial Guidance System uses deviations to generate error signal commands which instruct the missile to move from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, arriving at a position where it wasn't, or now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position where it wasn't; thus, it follows logically that the position where it was is the position where it isn't.

In the event that the position where the missile now is, is not the position where it wasn't, the Inertial Guidance System has acquired a variation. Variations are caused by external factors, the discussions of which are beyond the scope of this report.

A variation is the difference between where the missile is and where it wasn't. If the variation is considered to be a factor of significant magnitude, a correction may be applied by the use of the Guidance System. However, use of this correction requires that the missile now knows where it was because the variation has modified some of the information which the missile has, so it is sure where it isn't.

Nevertheless, the missile is sure where it isn't (within reason) and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it isn't, where it ought to be from where it wasn't (or vice versa) and integrates the difference with the product of where it shouldn't be and where it was; thus obtaining the difference between its deviation and its variation, which is a variable constant called "error"."
- Anonymous

I once heard an amusing story about the cruise missile, when on a software testing course. Not sure if its true, though.

Early versions of the on-board software contained a bug which meant that whenever a missile crossed the Equator and went into the Southern Hemisphere it would flip over onto its back. Presumably caused by the change of sign of latitude, and some dodgy geometric calculations. If all your testing was well to the north you would never see this bug until it was too late, which I think was the moral of the story. I guess the simplest fix would be to just turn the map upside down.

BTW I once saw in a shop a map of Great Britain (possibly road atlas, can't remember) which had south at the top. Not sure if this was aimed at the Scots, or that section of the population who can't mentally invert a map.

You mean this one?

"The missile knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is the greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation.

The Inertial Guidance System uses deviations to generate error signal commands which instruct the missile to move from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, arriving at a position where it wasn't, or now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position where it wasn't; thus, it follows logically that the position where it was is the position where it isn't.

In the event that the position where the missile now is, is not the position where it wasn't, the Inertial Guidance System has acquired a variation. Variations are caused by external factors, the discussions of which are beyond the scope of this report.

A variation is the difference between where the missile is and where it wasn't. If the variation is considered to be a factor of significant magnitude, a correction may be applied by the use of the Guidance System. However, use of this correction requires that the missile now knows where it was because the variation has modified some of the information which the missile has, so it is sure where it isn't.

Nevertheless, the missile is sure where it isn't (within reason) and it knows where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it isn't, where it ought to be from where it wasn't (or vice versa) and integrates the difference with the product of where it shouldn't be and where it was; thus obtaining the difference between its deviation and its variation, which is a variable constant called "error"."
- Anonymous

A lot of text that is nicely sidestepping how the cruise missile checks on it's internal guidance system! (How does it know where it is?)

- Comment from the YouTube vid

The assumption is that in time of war GPS satellites would be shot down. Besides the cruise missile came before GPS.

So the secret is out it's the rose quartz. Now I know why everything sounds good to me, I have a BIG piece my father gave me 50yrs ago for my rock collection. It's probably is enough to cover the whole house.

It could be better than that. Apparently this thingie utilizes Quantum entanglement so by turning it on he has stimulated all rose quartz everywhere in the universe. In "reality" (cough) only one of the units needs to exist for everyone to enjoy the benefits. But For the love of DIY don't mesure the device or it will change state, then we will only know where it was... :D

It could be better than that. Apparently this thingie utilizes Quantum entanglement so by turning it on he has stimulated all rose quartz everywhere in the universe. In "reality" (cough) only one of the units needs to exist for everyone to enjoy the benefits. But For the love of DIY don't mesure the device or it will change state, then we will only know where it was... :D

That means each recording engineer must have now such device, at least each recording studio! Imagine entanglement with atmosphere of the performance... However, if record made of tracks recorded at different times in different environments... Hmmm, it can cause multiple personalities! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.