Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

A vote for the Forum

Hi @pinkdot,

I think you expressed interest in a dedicated forum for moOde??

Have a look at Forums

Its a significant decision for me to step away from diyAudio so I'll need some feedback from people on whether they truly want a dedicated Forum. I'll also need help administering and moderating it.

-Tim

I agree that a dedicated forum would simplify searching for solutions to common problems. The sticky feature will become the go-to place for resolving common issues. (like mine: understanding how "auto-shuffle" works). It's also a great way to organize and rank feature requests.

moOde is my alway-on audio source. Keep up the great work!

Steve K.

@Mars67, @Serverbaboon

@Serverbaboon's conjecture is spot on.

With stock moOde r40, BubbleUPnP failed when I tried to browse Tidal Playlists. Once I overwrote /usr/share/upmpdcli/cdplugins/tidal/tidalapi/__init__.py with the latest __init__.py this problem went away.

Even so, when I tried to search in the ways @Mars67 indicated, I repro'ed the the failure he reported.

I then cloned the git repo for upmpdcli and replicated what mosbuild_worker.sh does by changing to the repo's top-level directory ./upmpdcli-code and running through the usual steps of
Code:
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
sudo make install

The configuration file loaded in the moOde build process and managed by the moOde UI, /etc/upmpdcli.conf, was not overwritten but for some reason I found its permissions set to 600 which prevents upmpdcli from starting and spawning a second process so I changed them to 644.

I rebooted moOde and now I can search Tidal content to my heart's content using BubbleUPnP.

YMMV

Regards,
Kent

@Kent, @Serverbaboon - just a quick thank you to both of you guys for always responding so quickly, always being willing to assist and always managing to come up with a solution. Your contributions are a part of what makes Moode so great.

I agree that a dedicated forum would simplify searching for solutions to common problems. The sticky feature will become the go-to place for resolving common issues. (like mine: understanding how "auto-shuffle" works). It's also a great way to organize and rank feature requests.

moOde is my alway-on audio source. Keep up the great work!

Steve K.

I'd like to do it and already have the Forum software installed at moodeaudio.org but it won't happen unless I get help running it.

I'd like to do it and already have the Forum software installed at moodeaudio.org but it won't happen unless I get help running it.

IMHO you would get more help if all documentation is maintained in github, where people can create Pull Requests directly for you to approve. Learning markdown to create pages takes 5 minutes max, and github account is also free.

Regarding upmpdcli

After I posted my success with latest upmpdcli sources, @Serverbaboon commented "[The developer] did say that he would be doing another release soon so was hoping I could just give out the repository addition steps to upgrade rather than the build steps."

I'm all for this because it's easier on the users and because it gives a point of reference for bug reports.

Meanwhile, for the impatient, here's more details of what I did. Just read the comments and execute the individual commands.

Code:
# Note- I am conservative and use 'sudo' only where it is needed,
# in the final two steps

# 1. ssh into moOde as user pi; for simplicity, stay in the home directory

# 2. Clone the remote repository
#     I use --depth=1 to download only the current state (232 objects) 
#     instead of the entire history (3997 objects)

git clone --depth=1 https://@opensourceprojects.eu/git/p/upmpdcli/code upmpdcli-code 

# 3. Change to the top level of the source code tree

cd upmpdcli-code

# 4. Execute the 3 commands needed to build upmpdcli
# Notes- 
# autogen.sh invokes automake, which @Serverbaboon had asked about
#       it's already available because of early steps in mosbuild_worker.sh
# The make command takes a while to complete and emits lots of output

./autogen.sh

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc

make

### Continue to step 5 only if the output from the preceding command ends with
###    "make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/upmpdcli-code'"
### If it ends with error messages, stop. No harm has been done (yet!);
### the old upmpdcli is still intact.

# 5. Install the new upmpdcli, overwriting the old version already present

sudo make install

# 6. Finally, fix the permissions on the configuration file

sudo chmod 644 /etc/upmpdcli.conf

# I rebooted at this point but possibly just restating upmpdcli through the 
# usual stratagems will suffice

I suppose Step 5 could be modified to back up the old version before overwriting it but I didn't take the time to see what that would require. I figured I could always rebuild it from the tar file provided in the moOde build process.

As always, YMMV.

Regards,
Kent

What documents are you referring to that you would like to see in the git repos?

"common problems" as I understood you were referring to in #14723. What I mean is I would not mix github and "Forum software installed at moodeaudio.org" because it's very easy to get one of them out of sync, and github is by far much more powerful than a forum (you can even automate the content to be deployed into your site)

"common problems" as I understood you were referring to in #14723. What I mean is I would not mix github and "Forum software installed at moodeaudio.org" because it's very easy to get one of them out of sync, and github is by far much more powerful than a forum (you can even automate the content to be deployed into your site)

If you are referring to something like the troubleshooting guide at Mike Brady's repo then of course that would be useful but the challenge for me is that maintaining detailed documentation and guides for software as complex as moOde competes for time against developing code and fixing bugs.

shairport-sync/TROUBLESHOOTING.md at master * mikebrady/shairport-sync * GitHub

Just my opinion, but I would like to see two things.

First build instructions that are targeted to someone new to moOde and then instructions for more experienced users. I like the approach that Kent took recently where he chose to describe one path through the build with no options. Build on card, and over Ethernet. Take something like that put a link to get the base image and maybe the tools. Also, remember that some of the new users are using Windows and don't know as much as they could about Raspbian.

The second thing I would like to see is a user guide for moOde, or at least the non-obvious things. I was a long time user before I knew that clicking on the playback panel tab twice would being the currently playing song into view on the playlist. There are probably a number of things like that. Even just a nice list would help.

I don't think that either of these would be too hard to maintain as the build instructions would only have to be modified slightly for each new release and the features, only as they are added or removed.

After starting up MoOde Audio 4.0, I hear every time a very loud pop/click in combination with the new Hifiberry Beocreate. It's a new Hifiberry DSP amp for vintage B&O speakers and other speakers. No crossover filters needed anymore. The sound is excellent but it starts with a very loud annoying pop. With the original B&O software (only BT, Airplay) there is no loud pop. The Moode settings are I2S audio device is Hifiberry DAC and volume control is software (no other options available).

With a Hifiberry Amp and MoOde Audio 4.0 there is no pop/click problem. Volume control here is hardware and I2S device is Hifiberry Amp.

Any suggestions?

If you are referring to something like the troubleshooting guide at Mike Brady's repo then of course that would be useful

Cool. I would like to see an updated installation guide, and a (very) basic troubleshooting guide with most common mistakes. If you accept Pull Requests, I am willing to start writing some markdown.

but the challenge for me is that maintaining detailed documentation and guides for software as complex as moOde competes for time against developing code and fixing bugs.
You don't need to make a commitment to writing anything, can simply review/accept PR's. If you think about it, that alone would take you hours of answering same problems over and over here.

After starting up MoOde Audio 4.0, I hear every time a very loud pop/click in combination with the new Hifiberry Beocreate. It's a new Hifiberry DSP amp for vintage B&O speakers and other speakers. No crossover filters needed anymore. The sound is excellent but it starts with a very loud annoying pop. With the original B&O software (only BT, Airplay) there is no loud pop. The Moode settings are I2S audio device is Hifiberry DAC and volume control is software (no other options available).

With a Hifiberry Amp and MoOde Audio 4.0 there is no pop/click problem. Volume control here is hardware and I2S device is Hifiberry Amp.

Any suggestions?

Does Hifiberry have any information on what this new device requires as far as settings, drivers, etc?

Cool. I would like to see an updated installation guide, and a (very) basic troubleshooting guide with most common mistakes. If you accept Pull Requests, I am willing to start writing some markdown.

You don't need to make a commitment to writing anything, can simply review/accept PR's. If you think about it, that alone would take you hours of answering same problems over and over here.

Great thanks! Wouldn't it be easier if I just added you to the org?