Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I tried to build Moode twice now, once with a Beta of version 4 and yesterday with the 4.0 release version.

Both times creating and flashing the image succeeded (I did the process on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and also want to run Moode on the Zero W), but the boot process does not finish and never continues the setup process:

photo5904741912538098838.jpg
https://tmp.dbrgn.ch/photo5904741912538098838.jpg

"Failed to start /etc/rc.local Compatibility"

Any ideas?

Received my Raspberry Pi3 B+ and really wanted to try it out but no joy with using existing build, no boot at step 11 even with trying to edit mosbuild.sh file.
Anyway via a friend of mine his son has very kindly done the messy work and produced an image file that 'just works' not sure if this is breaking any rules but here is the link for the file on G**gle drive.

Hi, Rod.

Your heart is in the right place but if you've been reading this forum thread for any length of time you already know there's a reason moOde is no longer distributed as an executable image. The reason has nothing to do with making life difficult for newbies and everything to do with the difficulty for the developer of complying with the licenses of all the third-party software using in moOde. By providing a built image you take on all the responsibility of meeting those licenses' compliance requirements and risk of challenge from license holders.

As reported earlier in this thread, the latest release of Raspbian is required to boot the Raspberry Pi 3B+. In addition to new firmware for the 3B+, this release included a curveball regarding WiFi Country Code setting.

Some of us have been pushing emails back and forth with Tim about the mosbuild process ever since we received our 3B+'s and I believe Tim is very near to releasing the new and improved Automated moOde OS Image Builder.

Here in that zany region known to the world as "the Capital Beltway" (as if only Washington DC has a beltway), I've used the test version of mosbuild on 3B+'s in various build combinations of wired Ethernet and WiFi connections on the host and for the built image. IMOH we are down to just a couple glitches in certain combinations.

Listening to moOde on an 3B+ as I type. Built and operating entirely via 5GHz WiFi. Sweet. And of course the image works on my other Pi's.

Regards,
Kent

I tried to build Moode twice now, once with a Beta of version 4 and yesterday with the 4.0 release version.

Both times creating and flashing the image succeeded (I did the process on a Raspberry Pi Zero W and also want to run Moode on the Zero W), but the boot process does not finish and never continues the setup process:

https://tmp.dbrgn.ch/photo5904741912538098838.jpg

"Failed to start /etc/rc.local Compatibility"

Any ideas?

Could you log in the pi and post results of :

cat /etc/rc.local

and also :

moslog

Regards

-Eric

Could you log in the pi and post results of :

cat /etc/rc.local

and also :

moslog

Regards

-Eric

I mounted the SD card on my regular computer. This is rc.local:

Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

# Print the IP address
_IP=$(hostname -I) || true
if [ "$_IP" ]; then
  printf "My IP address is %s\n" "$_IP"
fi

/home/pi/mosbuild/mosbuild_worker.sh >> /home/pi/mosbuild.log 2>> /home/pi/mosbuild.log
exit 0

And this is /home/pi/mosbuild.log:

Code:
** Sun 3 Dec 06:34:21 UTC 2017

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// STEP 2 - Expand the root partition to 3GB
//

** Change password for user pi to moodeaudio
** Download latest moOde release
** Error: download failed
** Error: image build exited
** Error: reboot to resume the build
** Sun 3 Dec 07:10:37 UTC 2017

//
//

** Sun 3 Dec 10:17:55 UTC 2017

//
//

** Error: download failed*[
** Sun 3 Dec 10:17:54 UTC 2017

//
//

Ah, from these files it looks like the login is pi / moodeaudio and the reason for failing was that WiFi setup seems to have failed.

When I look at the wpa_supplicant.conf, there is no wifi connection configured even though I choose wifi in the initial preparation step. Maybe it's because of an exclamation mark in the WiFi password?

I mounted the SD card on my regular computer. This is rc.local:

Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

# Print the IP address
_IP=$(hostname -I) || true
if [ "$_IP" ]; then
  printf "My IP address is %s\n" "$_IP"
fi

/home/pi/mosbuild/mosbuild_worker.sh >> /home/pi/mosbuild.log 2>> /home/pi/mosbuild.log
exit 0

And this is /home/pi/mosbuild.log:

Code:
** Sun 3 Dec 06:34:21 UTC 2017

//
//

** Sun 3 Dec 07:10:37 UTC 2017

//
//

** Sun 3 Dec 10:17:55 UTC 2017

//
//

** Error: download failed*[
** Sun 3 Dec 10:17:54 UTC 2017

//
//

Ah, from these files it looks like the login is pi / moodeaudio and the reason for failing was that WiFi setup seems to have failed.

When I look at the wpa_supplicant.conf, there is no wifi connection configured even though I choose wifi in the initial preparation step. Maybe it's because of an exclamation mark in the WiFi password?

Are you able to try it via Ethernet ? (just for the build) ... but you're right ! It looks like a network problem ;)
I will looking later about exclamation escaping or not in the code (can't remember right now).

-Eric

Last edited:
Received my Raspberry Pi3 B+ and really wanted to try it out but no joy with using existing build, no boot at step 11 even with trying to edit mosbuild.sh file.
Anyway via a friend of mine his son has very kindly done the messy work and produced an image file that 'just works' not sure if this is breaking any rules but here is the link for the file on G**gle drive.

image.zip - Google Drive

:)

Hope this helps others, I was getting frustrated at not being able to get the B+ to work for me and a friend of mine, many hours with no joy.

My existing Pi3B is working beautifully with an Allo DigiOne spdif board and Chord Mojo DAC/Preamp (all battery powered) into discrete Avondale T65 monoblocks then into cabinetless speakers :eek: (DIY) superbly musical, max Sox oversampling and a tweaked config.txt file underclocking the Pi at 800mhz.
If the B+ model is an improvement then I'll be very impressed. just playing about with it now.

Happy listening.

I read here that it will work if you work on a B at first, and do an update via SSH, and then put the SP Card on the B+

I tried one time and it didn't work for me, I might try a second time.

Are you able to try it via Ethernet ? (just for the build) ... but you're right ! It looks like a network problem ;)
I will looking later about exclamation escaping or not in the code (can't remember right now).

-Eric
Unfortunately the Zero W does not have ethernet...

I fixed the wifi setup manually, that seemed to work at first but then I ran into other problems... I'll simply re-create a new image with the password issue fixed.

By the way, to safely escape all kinds of special characters you could use the wpa_passphrase program.

Hi Kent

Re the link for the MoOde 4.0 Rpi3B+ image

You're right I was only thinking of making things easier for enthusiasts, it sounds like a risky thing to be posting, I'll take the link down. Hopefully Tim will have the next image builder soon to work with the B+ with all the bells and whistles.

Best of luck and thanks to you and Tim and others for all the hard work on the Moode project.

B+ does seem to sound better than the B on my system and using the underclocking to 800mhz makes a difference for the better. Early days yet, needs more listening time.

Rod

Setting country code?

Running on Pi3B+, everything works except wifi because moode is setting GB as country code in wpa_supplicant.conf. If I manually edit wpa_supplicant.conf and change it to US, wifi connects, but obviously when the configuration changes moode overwrites the file and it's set to GB again. Tried setting locales at the linux configuration to no avail. How can I make moode spit out something other than GB when writing the wpa config?

What determines these conversions?

Hi,

I know how to get this to work, but I want to understand what I am seeing.

Q1: Given the architecture of the DigiOne is 24/192 why is the output stream always 32/192?
Device: Allo DigiOne, Chip: Cirrus Logic WM8805
Architecture: S/PDIF transceiver 24 bit 192 kHz
OUTPUT STREAM: Format: 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo

Q2: What determines why a DSD64 file is initially decoded to 32/192 when 'Native DSD' enabled?
=====================================
INPUT PROCESSING
Source: NAS/Music/DSD/2L-038_stereo_01_01.dff
Encoded at: DSD64, 1 bit, 2.822 mbps Stereo
Decoded to: PCM, 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo

Q3: What determines why a DSD64 file is initially decoded to 24/176.2 kHz when 'Native DSD' disabled (DoP enabled)?
INPUT PROCESSING
Decoded to: DoP 24 bit 176.4 kHz, Stereo

Without using SoX are these values adjustable? What is the rationale here?

Is the reported "Decoded to" value what is being outputted from the DigiOne, or is it the 'OUTPUT STREAM' value that is being reported - 32/192?

Just trying to understand what is going on.

Thanks.

Hi,

I know how to get this to work, but I want to understand what I am seeing.

Q1: Given the architecture of the DigiOne is 24/192 why is the output stream always 32/192?
Device: Allo DigiOne, Chip: Cirrus Logic WM8805
Architecture: S/PDIF transceiver 24 bit 192 kHz
OUTPUT STREAM: Format: 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo

Q2: What determines why a DSD64 file is initially decoded to 32/192 when 'Native DSD' enabled?
INPUT PROCESSING
Decoded to: PCM, 32 bit, 192 kHz, Stereo

Q3: What determines why a DSD64 file is initially decoded to 24/176.2 kHz when 'Native DSD' disabled (DoP enabled)?
INPUT PROCESSING
Decoded to: DoP 24 bit 176.4 kHz, Stereo

Without using SoX are these values adjustable? What is the rationale here?

Is the reported "Decoded to" value what is being outputted from the DigiOne, or is it the 'OUTPUT STREAM' value that is being reported - 32/192?

Just trying to understand what is going on.

Thanks.

See MPD reference.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD)

I finally got Moode to work! :) Very nice.

Bluetooth playback stutters though. Might that be because I run it on a Pi Zero W, either because of the CPU or because it's connected via WiFi? Or what could be reasons for the stuttering? Radio playback works nicely.

Internal Bluetooth adapter and internal WiFi can’t work together for audio streaming without stuttering :/
This is a well known problem of the PI and not due to MoOde OS.

The only solution is to have an external adapter (dongle) for WiFi or Bluetooth.

-Eric

Your heart is in the right place but if you've been reading this forum thread for any length of time you already know there's a reason moOde is no longer distributed as an executable image. The reason has nothing to do with making life difficult for newbies and everything to do with the difficulty for the developer of complying with the licenses of all the third-party software using in moOde. By providing a built image you take on all the responsibility of meeting those licenses' compliance requirements and risk of challenge from license holders.
X2. In all likelihood none of the license holders would care about an image like this but unfortunately 1) it’s impossible for Tim to support it as he doesn’t know the provenance so can’t be sure the install is as expected and he doesn’t have time to try to figure out non-standard installs, and 2) end users don’t know that it hasn’t been tampered with. Tim could produce an md5 hash or something to verify the integrity but then it could be seen as him trying to get around licensing terms.

I would say it’s probably fine to share images with friends or even audio clubs where you have a basis for trust between people but don’t post generally and don’t install software you’re not 100% sure about.

Thanks for the support swizzle

The posted image was only meant as way to speed things up for the guys here for you to try out MoOde 4.0 on the new RPi3 B+, I'm guessing that it would work on the B too, though haven't tried it yet. I spent days messing about trying to get the older beta 4.0 working with the image builder so this image makes it painless.

Having tried the RPi3 B+ with MoOde 4.0 now I can say in sound quality terms it delivers improvements, I find that using the extra lines in config.txt to lower memory and cpu clock speeds makes positive additions too. Running CPU at Realtime priority too.:)
btw system is:
RPi3 B+ /Geekworm UPS 3.7v 2500mh battery/Allo DigiOne Spdif HAT/NAS drive for source/Avondale Linear dual PSU for trickle charging (bit OTT)/Chord Mojo as DAC and Preamp/Avondale T65’s monoblocks/suspended cabinetless Daytons (actively driven iNuke DSP amp)/PRV full range speakers (no crossovers)

Enjoying the music :D
Rod