Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

@zgtc

Try "anker 2-port portable charger" in your favorite Internet search engine.

I have a no-name equivalent. Dual USB-A outputs and 1 microUSB input. 4-LED charge-level indicator. Works a treat on all sorts of gear but I haven't the electronic instrumentation to measure how much noise it may be passing through.

Regards,
Kent

TY. OK so this one for instance. What I dont understand is how the power on/off is done. Assuming Tim has the battery plugged all the time, he needs a power board (or one for RPi and one for DAC). Is that the case? Sounds interesting enough to have a go.

Wow! Could you show me a pic of your rig? So that LiON battery is connected to a wall charger?

Yes, the battery is connected to wall charger and maintains 100% charged status while providing power to devices. The model I have is not being made anymore. It provided 3 x 5V out and 1 x 9/12V out. Anker | Astro Pro 20000mAh Portable Charger

I'd suggest carefully researching these battery packs and make sure that a particular model can be continuously charged while at the same time providing power to devices. I think this is called "pass-thru charging". Also I read that some packs automatically shut down their power ports when they "sense" that the device is fully charged.

The top of the pic shows 5V in at the back for the Reclocker and 5V in at the side for Pi.

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r41-rp3-1.png
    moode-r41-rp3-1.png
    765.5 KB · Views: 340
TY. OK so this one for instance. What I dont understand is how the power on/off is done. Assuming Tim has the battery plugged all the time, he needs a power board (or one for RPi and one for DAC). Is that the case? Sounds interesting enough to have a go.

I generally leave all my Pi's on 7/24 :)

The particular Pi connected to the LiON takes on the bulk of testing and software reloads. If I need to power cycle it I use Menu, Restart, Shutdown and then I just remove/insert both power connectors.

No thanks, this is just so strange.

Tim I have been following John's posts to you and I must admit I find your responses to him to be very rude. Why do you feel as you do towards a man who is regarded by many as one of the world's greatest hi fi designers? Responsible for the brilliant M-Dec amongst many others. John could be a brilliant asset to you and this board, i'm sure he would be more than willing to help anyone on here if they asked him and it was within his remit. It is you and your attitude that is very strange not John's.
Most odd behaviour on your part.

I'd suggest carefully researching these battery packs and make sure that a particular model can be continuously charged while at the same time providing power to devices. I think this is called "pass-thru charging". Also I read that some packs automatically shut down their power ports when they "sense" that the device is fully charged.

-Tim

I would also make sure that the battery can supply enough current. I bought a large battery that has a high capacity but still only puts out about 1A max.

Maybe the upgrade introduced an incompatibility with your WiFi adapter. I've been using Edimax 7811Un for past 4 years and no issues.

-Tim

I've been using this adapter for about the same time, it's an Airlink RTL8188CUS based adapter. I tried to recreate the situation by switching back to it but now it's working again. Weird. I'll check logs if it happens again.

Thank you Tim for the 4.0 release. Great piece of software, runs flawlessly on my two Raspberry Pi. I added support of Spotify via raspotify. That works without any problems too.
If there's anyone else using MPDroid to control MPD and wants to see his album art: The path to the music directory is (at least on my Pi) now vlmm90614385.

The problem with using the card number rather than the device name is that sometimes the cards are assigned different numbers after a reboot and in that case sound is lost because the wrong card is being used.

Also you may wish to do some reading on the differences between hw and plughw, just for your own edification.

Aha... Good to know as well. Thanks again for the tip. I crawled around on the Raspotify and Librespot Git sites, didn't find much documentation on commands. Maybe their somewhere else? Where can one find info in the above commands?

Edit: Did some searching, found that the -hw and -plughw commands are ALSA ones, and I'm reading and learning. Basically, hw is more of a direct opening of the device, while plughw invokes a plugin layer that can modify the data to be compatible with the device. And it would seem in this situation/environment, you need that for things to work.

Still just beginning to understand this all... my prior Linux experience was around the time of Slackware 1.2 :eek: that was so last Millennium.....

Last edited:
Yep, though it is basically functioning now, once you point it to the right device. Will be nice to have more features in the future.

I'm very unsure how feasable it would be, but I'm wondering if it could eventually be fed into MPD, vs going straight into the device at the ALSA level. Then, you could do resampling or use the headphone crossfeed, etc... that apparently you can't now.

Anyway, I'm glad to have this setup playing now.

Hi @JonPike,

There is a new Spotify Connect project thats a consolidation of other librespot based projects and is attempting to make substantial progress on the issues and carry on where the originator of librespot @plietar left off :) Its going to take some time.
GitHub - librespot-org/librespot: Open Source Spotify client library

-Tim
Latest commits made librespot (-org) far more stable than the first attempt I made. Running it without (big) issues for almost a week now on 2 systems (Moode 4.0 and Mopidy, both based on Rasbian).

Hi everyone! Although I've been using MoOde for a couple of years and a paid up member this is the first time I've had a question (probably been answered..)

Can MoOde access music form a PC's HDD? My friend wants to leave his laptop upstairs, all music in on the HDD (Bad I know!) but his Pi3 and MoOde will be downstairs and plugged into his hifi. Both laptoip and Pi will be on the same network.
Many thanks in advance..

Autoplay after Start

Relative newbie question, if I may...

I'm using Moode 4.0 on my Raspberry Pi 2 + HiFiBerry Dac+Pro.

My problem is that I have small library of songs (MP3/flac) stored locally on the SD card which I need to play on power-up. I've selected 'Autoplay after Start' but it does not work for me when I physically disconnect & reconnect power - however it does seem to work when I Shutdown or Reboot from the menu (although this method is no good for my application).

Is this a known bug that needs fixing? Does anyone else experience this issue? Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks in anticipation :)