Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi -- I just successfully installed Moode onto my RapberryPi, but having trouble accessing audio files on my Synology NAS (even though the drive is successfully mounted via NFS). No folders or files are visible. Any tips on how to get Moode to "see" the files on my NAS?

I've never got NFS to work from my Synology (because I don't really know what I'm doing, ;) ), so I use SMB/CIFS. Might be worth trying.

Hi -- I just successfully installed Moode onto my RapberryPi, but having trouble accessing audio files on my Synology NAS (even though the drive is successfully mounted via NFS). No folders or files are visible. Any tips on how to get Moode to "see" the files on my NAS?

I had a little trouble in the beginning getting MoOde to work back in 2016 on my Synology DS415play NAS. Since the initial struggle with NFS it has worked fine. Be happy to help if you care to send PM.

Is there a way to use remote .pls or .m3u files as a radio station URL yet?

For example, I listen to many of the stations at Soma FM. The URLs for the station "Seven Inch Soul" AAC 128kbps streams are as follows:
On my Android radio app (Xiia Live), I was able to use the main PLS url for all of my Soma stations. On Moode, I need to use the direct server because it won't recognize the PLS or M3U url.

Using a PLS url allows the provider to move the server as needed or shift the server load transparently to the end user. Awhile back, Soma FM moved all of their stations from Shoutcast to Icecast. On Android, I didn't need to do anything because Soma updated the PLS to reflect the server change. On Moode, I needed to hand edit all of my station favorites to the new direct URL.

Am I missing something obvious or is Moode missing this feature?

Running Moode 4.0 2018-01-26

Last edited:

For example, I listen to many of the stations at Soma FM. The URLs for the station "Seven Inch Soul" AAC 128kbps streams are as follows:
On my Android radio app (Xiia Live), I was able to use the main PLS url for all of my Soma stations. On Moode, I need to use the direct server because it won't recognize the PLS or M3U url.

Using a PLS url allows the provider to move the server as needed or shift the server load transparently to the end user. Awhile back, Soma FM moved all of their stations from Shoutcast to Icecast. On Android, I didn't need to do anything because Soma updated the PLS to reflect the server change. On Moode, I needed to hand edit all of my station favorites to the new direct URL.

Hi,

Yes, the radio station feature in moOde requires the "playable url" but all the Soma stations in moOde 4 use the current Soma Icecast url's. Also, the Soma stations and several other stations are coded with a permalink PLS and will automatically update to changes in the station playable url.

Are u saying that u had to change all the Soma url's in moOde 4?

-Tim

Yes, the radio station feature in moOde requires the "playable url"

I'm not sure what you mean by "playable url", do you mean a direct stream link? By saying it requires a playable URL do you mean that it doesn't support .pls or m3u as a station url?

...but all the Soma stations in moOde 4 use the current Soma Icecast url's. Also, the Soma stations and several other stations are coded with a permalink PLS and will automatically update to changes in the station playable url.

I understand the current Soma stream are pointed to the icecast urls, but you stated that the pre-loaded stations are using a permalink PLS, and I am asking if users can use a PLS for the url of a custom station as well. I understand that you've put considerable work into collecting a large number of internet radio stations, but if moOde can use a permanent PLS for pre-loaded stations then we should be able to do so for any user added stations as well, no?

...Are u saying that u had to change all the Soma url's in moOde 4?
No, I didn't need to change all the Soma url's in moOde 4, it was in 3. Previously, you were using the 128kbps mp3 streams for Soma so I needed to re-add the Soma stations using the higher quality AAC streams because I wasn't interested in the mp3 streams. Glad to see they've been updated to the AAC streams.

Hi Kent,

Thanks again! I'm currently doing another test to use a wireless connection so Ethernet and USB will not interfere. Maybe that will help. I'll keep you posted.

@Tim: Do you think it is possible to use the older Jessie kernel on Moode 4.0 or even install Moode 4.0 on Jessie? Just to see if the freezes will be gone.

Thanks and regards.

Hi Kent / Tim,

The wireless test was successful, but I don't like wireless so another test.
Installed a fresh Moode 4.0 build and downgraded the kernel to 4.4.50 (because Moode 3.7 was using that kernel and 3.7 was stable for me). The result is rock stable. No freezes, no clicks, no errors in log files.
So at this moment I'm running stretch with Moode 4.0 and kernel 4.4.50 and everything is running fine, but I only use DLNA push from Jriver so I don't know about the other functionality of Moode.
Something must have been changed since kernel 4.4, but for now I'm happy.

Thanks and regards.

+1

If a user enters a url to a..pls or m3u, then Moode should just do the right thing. Makes the code a bit trickier but Tim already has the background mechanism in place for some stations. Just needs generalising so it works for user-created station entries.

The other reason for doing this is that computers are far better at extracting stream urls from pls and m3u files than we are. Copying a link from a station's webpage and pasting it into Moode is far easier than downloading the pls file, opening it, and extracting the stream url. Especially on a phone.

Last edited:
I would like to be able to stream Spotify through Moode. Is this a possibility? If so, any tips regarding how to accomplish same would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Entering the single command found here will do it:
GitHub - dtcooper/raspotify: Raspotify - Spotify Connect client for the Raspberry Pi that Just Works™
Be careful about the initial volume: It used to be 100% (!) but on my system it now initiates at 50%.
Send me a pm if you have problems.

Or use Librespot-org. Without the initial volume issue ;-)

I build librespot from their git and it's running fine: Librespot Org * GitHub

Building Librespot is more time consuming than installing Raspotify, but it works pretty straight forward and stable.

Code:
sudo apt-get install git
git clone [url=https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot.git]GitHub - librespot-org/librespot: Open Source Spotify client library[/url]
curl [url]https://sh.rustup.rs[/url] -sSf | sh
# choose 1
sudo reboot
After the reboot
Code:
cd librespot/
cargo build --release --features alsa-backend
target/release/librespot --name DEVICENAME

Alternatively add a device option if you hear no sound.

I'm not sure what you mean by "playable url", do you mean a direct stream link? By saying it requires a playable URL do you mean that it doesn't support .pls or m3u as a station url?

+1

If a user enters a url to a..pls or m3u, then Moode should just do the right thing. Makes the code a bit trickier but Tim already has the background mechanism in place for some stations. Just needs generalising so it works for user-created station entries.

The other reason for doing this is that computers are far better at extracting stream urls from pls and m3u files than we are. Copying a link from a station's webpage and pasting it into Moode is far easier than downloading the pls file, opening it, and extracting the stream url. Especially on a phone.

Hi,

Correct, the radio station feature only supports the "direct stream link". The internal permalink checker is currently only used for SomaFM stations. Note that the pls or m3u link that many Internet radio stations provide is not really a permalink.

I've had "parse File1=<playllist url>" on the TODO list for a long while but have just never gotten around to it. The code for the upcoming 4.1 release has been frozen for a few days now but maybe I'll take a look.

-Tim

Or use Librespot-org. Without the initial volume issue ;-)

I build librespot from their git and it's running fine: Librespot Org * GitHub

Building Librespot is more time consuming than installing Raspotify, but it works pretty straight forward and stable.

Code:
sudo apt-get install git
git clone [url=https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot.git]GitHub - librespot-org/librespot: Open Source Spotify client library[/url]
curl [url]https://sh.rustup.rs[/url] -sSf | sh
# choose 1
sudo reboot
After the reboot
Code:
cd librespot/
cargo build --release --features alsa-backend
target/release/librespot --name DEVICENAME

Alternatively add a device option if you hear no sound.

Hi,

Wow, thats all there is to building it? I thought it was going to be more involved.

-Tim

Yes, thats all, but forget the 'stable' part for now. just got some panicking here and there when switching devices :eek:

If I keep it to 1 device it runs nice and volume starts somewhere around 50%:
Code:
Last login: Wed Feb 21 13:01:45 2018 from 192.168.0.27
pi@moode:~ $ cd librespot/
pi@moode:~/librespot $ target/release/librespot --name testing2 --device plughw:1,0
INFO:librespot: librespot 4f3a594 (2018-02-17). Built on 2018-02-21. Build ID: ajbm2XrO
INFO:librespot_core::session: Connecting to AP "gew1-accesspoint-b-jpr2.ap.spotify.com:4070"
INFO:librespot_core::session: Authenticated as "*******" !
INFO:librespot_playback::audio_backend::alsa: Using alsa sink
INFO:librespot_core::session: Country: "NL"
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Loading track "The Blower's Daughter"
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Track "The Blower's Daughter" loaded
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Loading track "9 Crimes"
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Track "9 Crimes" loaded
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Loading track "The Blower's Daughter"
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Track "The Blower's Daughter" loaded
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Loading track "Master Hunter"
INFO:librespot_playback::player: Track "Master Hunter" loaded