Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I know I´m part of a minority. I don´t need album art, bluetooth, touchscreen or whatever. My taste is very simple: I just want the best possible audio quality. Therefor I´m a little bit sceptical about this new thing to come. A very complex thing with lots of -for me- unnecessary processes and features. Is there a chance to switch all this load off? Let´s say a button "Minimum Function". Just to have a small, smart machine for best sound quality? Lots of processes running at the same time means a loss of sound quality. This is what I learned over there at "Windows". Maybe this not the case with linux, then I`ll be happy, but... A small, smart MoOde with a highly reduced UI could´nt be so bad. I would pay for it also, no problem.

Luki

+1

every time, when i am installing moode, the first thing i am doing is disabling all not needed services (wifi, bluetooth, etc) and IMHO a minimal configuration sounds better on one good sytem. I tried different players for pi, but MoOde (at least the old version with LL and RT kernel) has the best sq, don't know why (bits are bits).

Even a little bit of research on this thread would have shown you that guys are reporting issues with the onboard Wifi on a RPI3 used in conjunction with a hat dac.

I have an iPhone 7 and it works perfectly with Airplay using a RPI3 with a wifi dongle.

Thanks Mars, that might be the answer I'm looking for. Could you give me the name and details of the wifi dongle setup your using.

Thanks Mars, that might be the answer I'm looking for. Could you give me the name and details of the wifi dongle setup your using.

I am using an Edimax Nano USB adapter. EDIMAX - Wireless Adapters - N150 - 150Mbps Wireless IEEE802.11b/g/n nano USB Adapter but any quality adapter should work. The issue is that the hat seems to block or shield the onboard signal. You need to disable the onboard wifi. Here is how. raspbian - Disable WiFi (wlan0) on Pi 3 - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Tim,

Firstly I've been using Moode for quite a while now and after trying quite a few alternatives it is hands down the bets rpi audio player I have encountered. I was therefore keen to install version 4 (from v3) to look at all the new improvements, in particular the ability to attach a local screen.

I am by no means a Linux expert and following the helpful advise on here I managed to get Beta 12 up and running within 2 hours. I did encounter 2 issues, which may be of use to others - initially during Stage 1 it would not write the new image to the SD card (probably due to reader incompatibility), but by manually writing the image from the mosbuild folder I was up and running. The second observation was that the output on the screen from the Stage 2 installation doesn't provide anything meaningful from a status point of view, but after loading (via SSH) the mosbuild log that provided the required feedback on how the installation was progressing.

I am now fully up and running but encountered two issues, which I was hoping could be resolved either due to config changes or in a later release:
  1. When the rpi boots for the first time it displays the boot messages on the locally attached screen (hdmi screen, 1024x768 @ 60Hz), but once the Moode interface loads it goes to a black screen. If I access Moode via the web front end on another device I can disable and re-enable the local screen and then it comes to life, or I can change the stand by timing to refresh the screen and again it suddenly comes to life. Once up and running I have no issues with screen functionality, but how can I ensure it is setup upon initial boot? I have modified the config file for the resolution as per the Raspbian tutorials and also tried the hdmi_force_hotplug command, with no impact on the issue.
  2. The auto shuffle command is very useful for when playlists end, but when adding a new album to the playlist (from my NAS) using the clear and play option, it automatically adds a new song to the end of the playlist and most of the time starts playing this rather than the album selected!
After playing around with the new Beta I was also wandering if I could make a couple of suggestions for future development? This may already be included or within your roadmap, but will the following be possible:
  1. There are options to set time zone and use Moode as a radio alarm, but could the time date be added to the top bar next to the setting buttons?
  2. The auto shuffle (from library) is a great feature, but could an option be added to add a random album not just song to the list. I mainly listen to whole albums and with a large CD collection and you never know which album to select!
  3. Could item 2 be expanded to add a next random album button (in case you don't like the choice), which could replace the next track button if this option is enabled?
  4. Any possibility of keyboard shortcuts to be used to cover basic functionality (pause, skip track etc.)? Although I guess as a web front end could be tricky?
  5. Can multiple libraries be loaded and can switch between them, or include multiple NAS sources and only add one to the library? I've not looked into this and it may already work this way!
Just a couple of suggestions to make an amazing audio player even better. Thanks a lot for the support

Paddy

+1

every time, when i am installing moode, the first thing i am doing is disabling all not needed services (wifi, bluetooth, etc) and IMHO a minimal configuration sounds better on one good sytem. I tried different players for pi, but MoOde (at least the old version with LL and RT kernel) has the best sq, don't know why (bits are bits).
Since moode uses a web based UI the heavy lifting as far as what's displayed on your screen is done by the client you use to access it. If you don't have a browser pointed at moode then the impact will be very low. Same with most of the services, if you're not using them they're not causing much impact and if you toggle them off they're not using any.

I liked the advanced kernels too, hopefully we'll be able to either get them back or work out an install script using a source like has been discussed with the rt branch.

Tim,

Firstly I've been using Moode for quite a while now and after trying quite a few alternatives it is hands down the bets rpi audio player I have encountered. I was therefore keen to install version 4 (from v3) to look at all the new improvements, in particular the ability to attach a local screen.

I am by no means a Linux expert and following the helpful advise on here I managed to get Beta 12 up and running within 2 hours. I did encounter 2 issues, which may be of use to others - initially during Stage 1 it would not write the new image to the SD card (probably due to reader incompatibility), but by manually writing the image from the mosbuild folder I was up and running. The second observation was that the output on the screen from the Stage 2 installation doesn't provide anything meaningful from a status point of view, but after loading (via SSH) the mosbuild log that provided the required feedback on how the installation was progressing.

I am now fully up and running but encountered two issues, which I was hoping could be resolved either due to config changes or in a later release:
  1. When the rpi boots for the first time it displays the boot messages on the locally attached screen (hdmi screen, 1024x768 @ 60Hz), but once the Moode interface loads it goes to a black screen. If I access Moode via the web front end on another device I can disable and re-enable the local screen and then it comes to life, or I can change the stand by timing to refresh the screen and again it suddenly comes to life. Once up and running I have no issues with screen functionality, but how can I ensure it is setup upon initial boot? I have modified the config file for the resolution as per the Raspbian tutorials and also tried the hdmi_force_hotplug command, with no impact on the issue.
  2. The auto shuffle command is very useful for when playlists end, but when adding a new album to the playlist (from my NAS) using the clear and play option, it automatically adds a new song to the end of the playlist and most of the time starts playing this rather than the album selected!
After playing around with the new Beta I was also wandering if I could make a couple of suggestions for future development? This may already be included or within your roadmap, but will the following be possible:
  1. There are options to set time zone and use Moode as a radio alarm, but could the time date be added to the top bar next to the setting buttons?
  2. The auto shuffle (from library) is a great feature, but could an option be added to add a random album not just song to the list. I mainly listen to whole albums and with a large CD collection and you never know which album to select!
  3. Could item 2 be expanded to add a next random album button (in case you don't like the choice), which could replace the next track button if this option is enabled?
  4. Any possibility of keyboard shortcuts to be used to cover basic functionality (pause, skip track etc.)? Although I guess as a web front end could be tricky?
  5. Can multiple libraries be loaded and can switch between them, or include multiple NAS sources and only add one to the library? I've not looked into this and it may already work this way!
Just a couple of suggestions to make an amazing audio player even better. Thanks a lot for the support

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Locally attached HDMI screen should not need any resolution config or other settings but YMMV because there are so many different makes/models each with various capabilities that may or may not be recognized by Linux. My 24" ASUS panel has no issues.

As far as auto-shuffle goes refer to the post below that explains its capabilities. Experiment with it and if you come up with something that works for u then I'll take a look at it.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1245.html#post5297767

Keyboard shortcuts? Let's not go back the 1980's now, lol

The Library panel represents a consolidated view of all the music sources listed in the Browse panel, or more specifically the entire MPD database. You can navigate individual music sources via Browse panel.

-Tim

[*]Any possibility of keyboard shortcuts to be used to cover basic functionality (pause, skip track etc.)? Although I guess as a web front end could be tricky?

Paddy

There is a hacky workaround for this if you know a little linux... It used to work in previous versions of Moode but may not with the new squashed filesystem.... Tim might have a comment here ??

MPD can be controlled by several clients any or all running at once...web interface, smartphone app etc

If you install ncmpcpp as a client it is keyboard based with single keys mapped to functions. You either need a screen connected or log in blind after Moode has booted. Once running, any keystroke shortcuts are reflected in the MoOde web interface.

Messy but I used it for a year before figuring that an I/R remote was a much better option for basic operation.
I can post the steps for the I/R if that helps.

Cheers, Bob (from the 80's ;) )
ncmpcpp cheat sheet

Last edited:
As I'm off work with the flu... and bored.
I thought I would have a go at building myself a Moode 4.0.12 image. Followed the instructions, all seems fine until I try and boot the pi off the built image.

I can ping moode.local so I know the box is up and running. But if I use a web browser to access moode.local I get the Welcome to nginx! message telling me that the webserver is up and running but nowt going on

I can ssh to moode.local but the username pi and password of raspberry doesn't work, I just get access denied!

This is such a shame as I am a happy (and I contributed cash) user of a 3.8.4 version of Moode. I know it isn't Tim's fault but the actions about taken by original contributors seem to have just made life difficult for everyone -- just for the sake of it. Grrrrrr <rant off>

Last edited:
@guyhayton
This appears to be the symptoms of not waiting long enough for the build to complete.

Try again with a fresh sd card and wait at least an hour for it to build...possibly longer depending on your Pi and network.

Checking progress with
Code:
ssh pi@ip.of.r.pi "cat ~/mosbuild.log | grep 'COMPONENT\|STEP\| Compile \| END\| Error'"

and wait to reboot until it reports "end"

@guyhayton
This appears to be the symptoms of not waiting long enough for the build to complete.

@DRONE7 thanks for that... I didn't see anything in the instructions to say that I should leave the pi building the image - I just guessed that once I could ping it the box would respond. The danger of using a headless box

As I use putty on a windows machine to connect via ssh, I won't be able to use that command to monitor the log file. Plus because I have been impatient I cannot actually logon to the username pi with the password raspberry (I am assuming that these should work)

What I might do is rebuild a new card tomorrow, boot from the new image and then just go back to bed :D

Last edited:
Plus because I have been impatient I cannot actually logon to the username pi with the password raspberry (I am assuming that these should work)
Are you sure your keyboard is OK? Try typing "raspberry" when it asks for a user. That way you can see every character you type. I had the same problem at the beginning, but since I use an AZERTY-keyboard instead of a QWERTY-keyboard, my A is exchanged with the Q. So I kept typing:
User: pi
PW: rqspberry in stead of raspberry ;-)

Johan

;I didn't spot that either in the instructions... using moodeaudio as the password works.
I can see now in the log file that the build aborted at step 7.

Think I've got the everything I need now for a second attempt tomorrow.
Cheers everyone

PS: Tell you what, once I've got this up and working I'm going to create my own .IMG file of the SDCARD

Last edited:
+1

+1
Aside from choice of kernel etc, in my rig and for critical listening, the wifi and bluetooth have to be disabled.

Hi Paddy,

Locally attached HDMI screen should not need any resolution config or other settings but YMMV because there are so many different makes/models each with various capabilities that may or may not be recognized by Linux. My 24" ASUS panel has no issues.

As far as auto-shuffle goes refer to the post below that explains its capabilities. Experiment with it and if you come up with something that works for u then I'll take a look at it.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-1245.html#post5297767

Keyboard shortcuts? Let's not go back the 1980's now, lol

The Library panel represents a consolidated view of all the music sources listed in the Browse panel, or more specifically the entire MPD database. You can navigate individual music sources via Browse panel.

-Tim

Cheers Tim, thanks a lot for the quick response, I just wanted to pass on my thoughts and feedback regarding how I currently use and would like to use this excellent audio player!

I'll give the suggestions a go and let you know how i get on :)

Bob - Thanks a lot for the suggestion as well, I may have a look - I often find mouse/keyboard for more efficient to do certain tasks than a touchscreen and in this instance with the screen out of reach, this could be a quick way of interfacing with the player!