Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

rt kernel

Yes you can !

Look on the link, there is a pre compiled kernel on downloads (bottom of page).
Maybe you can begin with this one first.

Don’t forget to backup your Sd before playing with kernel ;)

yes backup! I tried to follow those directions and everything went as expected but after reboot would not come up. I will try again today, not sure of what my error was.. it should work.

Hey Guys
Looking to see if anyone has a tip for a problem I am having with Airplay on MoOde. I am running MoOde on a RP-3 with a HiFiBerry amp on top to drive a WiFi speaker I built. I decide to swap it from Squeeze Box to Airplay so I can give it to my son in law to use with his I phone 7. I did a fresh install of MoOde ver. 384 to the SD card, then updated to the newest release version, turned the Airplay receiver on, set the volume control in Airplay config. to software, left all the other Airplay config. setting at default, made sure all other renderers were set to off, set the audio device to HiFiBerry Amp(Amp+) and gave it a test run. With my wife's old 3rd generation Ipad it all works great. The sound quality is great, easy to link through Airplay to my RP-3 MoOde device, volume control is perfect. My problem is with my son in laws Iphone 7. It sees the device through Airplay and show to be connected when selected but no sound out of the device even at full volume. Do I need to change some of the Airplay config. setting in MoOde or should I look for something set wrong within the Iphone itself?
All I want to do is use Airplay to play music from a IPhone 7. Any help out there on this?

The Kali is a FIFO reclocker: the data is read in, held in a buffer and then clocked out using its own master clocks. It has considerable latency as a result. You ain't going to get video in sync with it in circuit.

The other day I tried using an Apple TV airplaying into a PI3 (shairplay-sync).
I thought it would be nice to get a decent audio output from the Apple-TV into my main audio system.
I ran into the same annoying out-of-sync issue as somebody reported earlier.

I'm running a PI3-Kali-Piano2.1(dualmono) tower.

The Kali related delay can IMO "almost" be neglected in comparison to the latency introduced by the rest of the chain.
It requires a very low latency setup to get going. Usually a setup like Moode, with its rather high
build-in complexity and currently standard kernels introduces latency on its own.
Which is not a problem in a standard playback situation!

The PI HW is a another challenge. Running e.g. ethernet traffic to an USB DAC is all but a great
idea if you're concerned of latency. Wifi is another obstacle.
You'll also realize similar issues if you try to run/stream native DSD to your USB DAC.
A PI needs to be well configured for highest efficiency to allow for e.g. proper native DSD playback.

Perhaps Tim should consider to have a closer look into a "low-lat"/"high efficiency" setup profile.

And folks. An rt-kernel alone will not be your solution to this! The PI rt-kernel
is a very sensitive piece of SW. It needs to be configured properly. And the
OS and apps accordingly.
By default the load goes up due to problems in the USB stack!!!
Those who think they've done the job by compiling (an even outdated) rt-kernel should fire up "top" to see what's going on!
An rt-kernel is meant to be run in a single purpose environment. If not used like that, you'll most probably face issues!

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Perhaps Tim should consider to have a closer look into a "low-lat"/"high efficiency" setup profile.

And folks. An rt-kernel alone will not be your solution to this! The PI rt-kernel
is a very sensitive piece of SW. It needs to be configured properly. And the
OS and apps accordingly.
The interest is due to previous versions of moode having support for swapping in kernels compiled with the -rt and -ll branches as well as different scheduling policies. The current distribution model would make that very difficult (well, time consuming at least) so Tim backed support out but left in the UI in case it can be brought back someday.

I know I´m part of a minority. I don´t need album art, bluetooth, touchscreen or whatever. My taste is very simple: I just want the best possible audio quality. Therefor i´m a little bit sceptical about this new thing to come. A very complex thing with lots of -for me- unnecessary processes an features. Is there a chance to switch all of this load off? Just to have a small, smart machine for best sound quality? Lots of processes running at the same time means a loss of sound quality. This is what I learned over there at "Windows". Maybe this not the case with linux, then I`ll be happy, but... A small, smart MoOde with a highly reduced UI could´nt be so bad. I would pay for it also, no problem.

Luki

I know I´m part of a minority. I don´t need album art, bluetooth, touchscreen or whatever. My taste is very simple: I just want the best possible audio quality. Therefor I´m a little bit sceptical about this new thing to come. A very complex thing with lots of -for me- unnecessary processes and features. Is there a chance to switch all this load off? Let´s say a button "Minimum Function". Just to have a small, smart machine for best sound quality? Lots of processes running at the same time means a loss of sound quality. This is what I learned over there at "Windows". Maybe this not the case with linux, then I`ll be happy, but... A small, smart MoOde with a highly reduced UI could´nt be so bad. I would pay for it also, no problem.

Luki

Tim, what's the resolution of this 7" screen? I have to scroll on mine (with M4B12) to see the bottom....
In the pic you show here, the whole UI is shown, but not on mine.

Thx,
Johan

Hi Johan,

Its 800 x 480. Look in the Build Recipe and you will find a procedure for applying 75% zoom in Chrome Browser.

In the final release of moOde 4 this will not be necessary.

-Tim

I know I´m part of a minority. I don´t need album art, bluetooth, touchscreen or whatever. My taste is very simple: I just want the best possible audio quality. Therefor I´m a little bit sceptical about this new thing to come. A very complex thing with lots of -for me- unnecessary processes and features. Is there a chance to switch all this load off? Let´s say a button "Minimum Function". Just to have a small, smart machine for best sound quality? Lots of processes running at the same time means a loss of sound quality. This is what I learned over there at "Windows". Maybe this not the case with linux, then I`ll be happy, but... A small, smart MoOde with a highly reduced UI could´nt be so bad. I would pay for it also, no problem.

Luki

Hi Luki,

Try something like PiCorePlayer or even just a basic installation of MPD on Raspbian or Archlinux.

-Tim

I use Moode to stream via Airplay. Of all the different things I tried (Volumio, clean Raspbian with Shairport-Sync) I find it by far the best experience. But alas, it seems to have a few instabilities as well.

My biggest issue is that after a few hours of idle time all connection to Moode is lost. No web interface, no SSH, and most of the time no Airplay as well. The only way to solve this seems to be powering the device off, and on again.

I run Moode on a Pi 3 with a Dion Loco Dac Amp. Any idea what might cause this? And any tips for me for how to (help) debug this?

I use Moode to stream via Airplay. Of all the different things I tried (Volumio, clean Raspbian with Shairport-Sync) I find it by far the best experience. But alas, it seems to have a few instabilities as well.

My biggest issue is that after a few hours of idle time all connection to Moode is lost. No web interface, no SSH, and most of the time no Airplay as well. The only way to solve this seems to be powering the device off, and on again.

I run Moode on a Pi 3 with a Dion Loco Dac Amp. Any idea what might cause this? And any tips for me for how to (help) debug this?

Hi,

No issue on my end with moode 4 and I leave my Raspberry Pi's on 7/24. The symptom "...all connection to Moode is lost. No web interface, no SSH..." suggests something external to moOde for example a network issue.

Try checking your Router logs and also syslog on the Pi and look for anything suspicious that can be correlated to the times when connection is lost.

The latest version of shairport-sync fixes quite a few bugs.
Releases * mikebrady/shairport-sync * GitHub

-Tim

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Gapless playback in both Moode 3.8 and 4.0 beta12 is not working for me. Server with Jriver sent to another device does have gapless. Any suggestions? Thanks.

This was a problem for me. Here is how i fixed it.
In Jriver right click on the rendere in the tree view and there is a options settings for broken renderers. Make sure it's none of the fixes are checked.

hope this helps,