Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,Tim
I’m now using version 3.84, would you please tell me how to install version 4.0? Sorry that I can’t find anything usefull to help me own. The file ‘setup.txt’ contained in the package ‘r40b9.zip’ maybe is still for the previous version?
I’m looking forward to your reply. Thanks a lot.

@nosereg

It sounds like you are expecting to load a ready-to-run image of moOde r40b9. Sorry, that's not what rel-stretch-r40b9.zip contains. Quoting from moodeaudio.org:
The download contains the Source Code
for moOde and a Build Recipe for creating
a custom Linux OS to run moOde

Tim has explained in earlier posts why he is not distributing a ready-to-run image as he did for previous versions. We build it ourselves.

To aid us, @koda59 has posted a nice automated version of Tim's Build Recipe to this Forum (see post #10915) and has said he's sending an improved version to Tim for review. The DietPi folks are working on a moOde-specific builder in DietPi. It's not ready for prime time yet.

Regards,
Kent

@nosereg

It sounds like you are expecting to load a ready-to-run image of moOde r40b9. Sorry, that's not what rel-stretch-r40b9.zip contains. Quoting from moodeaudio.org:

Tim has explained in earlier posts why he is not distributing a ready-to-run image as he did for previous versions. We build it ourselves.

To aid us, @koda59 has posted a nice automated version of Tim's Build Recipe to this Forum (see post #10915) and has said he's sending an improved version to Tim for review. The DietPi folks are working on a moOde-specific builder in DietPi. It's not ready for prime time yet.

Regards,
Kent
The new version « automatic build » is in Tim’s hand. I let Tim approve this way at this time.
For the old one, don’t forget to update link adress in .properties file with new moode beta 9 one.

Regards

@nosereg

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,
So nice! I really appreciate your helping me!
Regards

@goldhorse

I didn't experience this problem here. As it happens, I just built a fresh copy of r40b9 following every step of build recipe v1.9 except squashing the file system. Functionally this should be the same as your copy. Built it on an RPi3B and running it on an RPi2B/HiFiBerry DAC+. I see upmpdcli.service running.

Just to confirm, I ran UPnP Scanner on my Android tablet. It discovers both "Moode Red UPNP" and "Moode Red DLNA" on the network. ("Moode Red" is the name I gave this particular moOde Player instance). They appear to be publishing all the necessary UPnP/AV services.

I'm listening to a TIDAL stream right now using BubbleUPnP on the tablet as my control point and moOde as my "library". e.g., proxy media server for TIDAL.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Thanks for confirming, it's nice to know that mine seems to be an isolated issue.
I also built on an RPi3B with no DAC then ran it on another RPi3B with an Allo Boss DAC.

My set up is I have a QNAP NAS running Asset DLNA and Lumin app either on my iPad or iPhone as a controller, so UPnP is quite essential for me. I had actually made Tm's upmpdcli recipe to work on another distribution that had no upmpdcli built in to the image, so I was quite surprised that it didn't work the first time. It seems to be a fluke though, so happy it is running now after the reinstall.

Regards

goldhorse

Hi Kent,

Thanks for confirming, it's nice to know that mine seems to be an isolated issue.
I also built on an RPi3B with no DAC then ran it on another RPi3B with an Allo Boss DAC.

My set up is I have a QNAP NAS running Asset DLNA and Lumin app either on my iPad or iPhone as a controller, so UPnP is quite essential for me. I had actually made Tm's upmpdcli recipe to work on another distribution that had no upmpdcli built in to the image, so I was quite surprised that it didn't work the first time. It seems to be a fluke though, so happy it is running now after the reinstall.

Regards

goldhorse

edit: scrub that request, I've just read the latest build doc, lol
Edit again: ignore the post about DLNA as well, have reinstalled it and appears to be working (sorry can't edit original post)
Have fun playing y'all!

Last edited:
built images of r40b9

Hi, all.

I've been on the fence about this for a week but finally convinced myself it is for a good cause.

Thanks to @koda59's post I checked out the features of uploadfiles.io and have now created a Pro account.

In it, I have posted two built images of r40b9, one for armv7 and one for armv6 hosts. Each was built by hand using Tim's build_recipe_v1.9.txt. All steps except the optional Step 10 have been executed and all the optional components have been added.

The only liberty I took was to change the DOS Label of the boot partition from 'boot' to 'MOODE'. It doesn't affect how the image is used; it only makes it easier for me to identify on a (u)SD card.:)

TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.zip - this file contains
Code:
$ unzip -l TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.zip
Archive:  TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.zip
  Length      Date    Time    Name
---------  ---------- -----   ----
3193961984  2017-11-19 10:54   TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.img
    24973  2017-11-19 10:48   build_recipe_v1.9.txt
     6841  2017-11-19 10:48   setup.txt
---------                     -------
3193993798                     3 files

TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.zip - this file contains
Code:
$ unzip -l TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.zip
Archive:  TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.zip
3193962496  2017-11-19 09:56   TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.img
    24973  2017-11-15 10:28   build_recipe_v1.9.txt
     6841  2017-11-19 10:12   setup.txt
3193994310                     3 files

Note that even zip'ped these are 1.2GB files. I should have but did not use @koda59's script to create smaller files.

Edit: [oops, hit Post instead of Preview.] The build_recipe_v1.9.txt comes directly from moodeaudio.org. The setup.txt file comes from within Tim's rel_stretch_r40b9.zip file.

CAVEATS:

1) this is a best effort basis. I have extracted and burned the image from each zip file and booted it on an RPi3B (armv7) or RPi0W (armv6) and they appear to be in working order. YMMV.
2) this is only a shortterm fix until our automated scripts work for DIY-ers and DietPi works for appliance users.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Hi, all.

I've been on the fence about this for a week but finally convinced myself it is for a good cause.

Thanks to @koda59's post I checked out the features of uploadfiles.io and have now created a Pro account.

In it, I have posted two built images of r40b9, one for armv7 and one for armv6 hosts. Each was built by hand using Tim's build_recipe_v1.9.txt. All steps except the optional Step 10 have been executed and all the optional components have been added.

The only liberty I took was to change the DOS Label of the boot partition from 'boot' to 'MOODE'. It doesn't affect how the image is used; it only makes it easier for me to identify on a (u)SD card.:)

CAVEATS:

1) this is a best effort basis. I have extracted and burned the image from each zip file and booted it on an RPi3B (armv7) or RPi0W (armv6) and they appear to be in working order. YMMV.
2) this is only a shortterm fix until our automated scripts work for DIY-ers and DietPi works for appliance users.

Regards,
Kent

Xmas has come early from Father Kent.... :santa2:

(Just done the same thing and pressed post instead of preview)

.... many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, all.

I was hoping to try this but the links seem to be broken :(

Xmas has come early from Father Kent.... :santa2:

(Just done the same thing and pressed post instead of preview)

.... many thanks.

Well, Father Christmas turns out to be the Grinch:grumpy: It's been pointed out to me that posting these binaries puts me into the same jeopardy that Tim was facing with his.

Sad to say, I've had to delete the files. If I can figure out how to delete my post, I'll do that too.

Meeting the requirements of FOSS model turns out to be way more burdensome that I thought through my casual reading of the licenses. Apparently I have to be able to make available the source to every component of the binary, not just of our application but of every component down to the base of Linux. Yikes.

Oh what a tangled web we weave

I apologize for raising a false hope.

Regards,
Kent

Well, Father Christmas turns out to be the Grinch:grumpy: It's been pointed out to me that posting these binaries puts me into the same jeopardy that Tim was facing with his.

Sad to say, I've had to delete the files. If I can figure out how to delete my post, I'll do that too.

Meeting the requirements of FOSS model turns out to be way more burdensome that I thought through my casual reading of the licenses. Apparently I have to be able to make available the source to every component of the binary, not just of our application but of every component down to the base of Linux. Yikes.

Regards,
Kent

In a more temperate mood, I can say "burdensome" is a relative term. I have found that making images available make me responsible for GPL compliance administration. I'm learning quickly that this means more than being about to point at the GPL'ed resources used, which is what I had mistakenly thought was sufficient.

Obviously this administration can be done; there are plenty of FOSS projects out there which distribute images. However, I don't have the time available and it's apparent I don't have the expertise to make sure I'm doing it right.

Regards,
Kent

Hi, all.

TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.zip - this file contains
Code:
$ unzip -l TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.zip
Archive:  TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.zip
3193961984  2017-11-19 10:54   TOP-moode_r40b9_armv7.img
    24973  2017-11-19 10:48   build_recipe_v1.9.txt
     6841  2017-11-19 10:48   setup.txt
3193993798                     3 files

TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.zip - this file contains
Code:
$ unzip -l TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.zip
Archive:  TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.zip
3193962496  2017-11-19 09:56   TOP-moode_r40b9_armv6.img
    24973  2017-11-15 10:28   build_recipe_v1.9.txt
     6841  2017-11-19 10:12   setup.txt
3193994310                     3 files

Note that even zip'ped these are 1.2GB files. I should have but did not use @koda59's script to create smaller files.

Edit: [oops, hit Post instead of Preview.] The build_recipe_v1.9.txt comes directly from moodeaudio.org. The setup.txt file comes from within Tim's rel_stretch_r40b9.zip file.

CAVEATS:

Regards,
Kent

Did anyone manage to download these files before they were deleted? He could put them online and share the link using private message, I don't think that is illegal.

Regards,
Kent

How come people from volumio or rune audio can make the img file available to all without having any problem with any GPL?

To resolve the bluetooth audio issue, I am eyeing an external adapter. Are there any recommendations? My usage is going to be exclusively streaming audio from my projector to the monitors across the room. So, latency should be kept to a minimum. Am I looking for a 2.0 or 4.0 dongle?

What ‘Bluetooth audio issue’?

I run the same gear as you and don’t have one, which tells me your issue is environmental, not inherently Moode or Pi.