Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim, thanks for that info. I feel better now.

I guess that means there are no mistakes allowed when creating a NAS mount in moOde 3.x. Since I'm prone to error, I'll just re-flash the sdcard and start over again (again).

I think my idea of having a big uSDcard in the pi for both the OS and music storage is a bit dangerous. It's safer to use a little, cheap uSDcard for just the OS and connect thumb drives or whatever to the pi USB ports for storage. I'll have to purchase another low capacity uSDcard for the OS and use the 128GB uSDcard I bought earlier in an adapter plugged into the pi. That plus the 64GB thumb drive I recently bought should be enough storage for an all-in-one player setup. I'll leave the NAS setup for later.

I hope the standard CanaKit PSU can power the pi + Boss DAC + 128GB uSD card in USB adapter + 64GB thumb drive. Is that doomed to failure?
--

As SSD disks are so cheap now, or a powered hdd like a WD or Seagate 2TB drive is under $200, if you have problems with network storage I would just use one of those rather than a big flash or SD drive.

Flash and SD use low double-digit milliamperes - in effect they represent no load to the power system and I've yet to see a hat dac that uses more than 100ma. The Pi3 running wifi and cranking out a heavy math computation draws at most 600ma

I've never had success driving a spinning-platter HD on a Pi and I've tried nearly every one I e bought (prolly got 20 drives of various sizes and brands). But SSD works great.

My current Pi3 with an IQ audio digi amp plus and 4.5A 18vpsu still won't run a low-power 4500rpm Toshiba 9mm HDD, but runs my two Seagate 2TB powered drives just fine.

Does that mean that with MoOde 3.8 a single 5V 2A PSU should be able to power the pi + DAC + WD My Passport USB hdd? If so then I have all the parts at hand to create that setup.

I haven't had much success with the passpo t drives on a Pi.

The potential current of the supply is irrelevant - unless it's too small. The USB configuration in in the Pi doesn't have enough grunt to spin up the drive and initialise. The only way I got it working was with a split-USB cable with the data cable in the Pi and the second power USB plugged in another device, just to keep it powered when the Pi was cycling. May as well buy a powered drive and be done with it.

Just out of curiosity,

Will the next revision have shorter rescan times ?
With a 4GB USB and a couple of gb on the expanded micro sd i wasnt too sure if something "locked up" as the rescan went on for some time. I rebooted the pi to have the tunes back.

Am i doing something wrong ?

Moode does sound very good!

Hypothetical: if some ladies do come over to enjoy music, the significant wait (for MPD updates) could potentially be a drastic buzz kill. Please help me Tim! :D

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity,

Will the next revision have shorter rescan times ?
With a 4GB USB and a couple of gb on the expanded micro sd i wasnt too sure if something "locked up" as the rescan went on for some time. I rebooted the pi to have the tunes back.

Am i doing something wrong ?

Moode does sound very good!

Hypothetical: if some ladies do come over to enjoy music, the significant wait (for MPD updates) could potentially be a drastic buzz kill. Please help me Tim! :D

Scanning USB is pretty quick on a Pi3. I've got a Samsung ssd with about 350gb and it only takes a minute or so.

Scanning USB is pretty quick on a Pi3. I've got a Samsung ssd with about 350gb and it only takes a minute or so.

Oh my. This warrants a test with another usb drive. I've been using the Pi with a "freebie" from an expo. I've not been able to rescan anything (with this "free" usb drive) under 10 mins.
Cheers Zootalaws.

Update: With the USB storage removed (all files on the u-sd), the rescan was instant!

Last edited:
FWIW, I've done extensive testing with numerous HDDs and while monitoring the current from the supply. There is some voltage drop through the RPi3; however, the big problem is that some drive draw a substantial amount of current when spinning up their internals disks. Continuous current rating in these regards is basically useless...please be advised.

I'm grasping at straws here...

Is there a difference to rpi operation (interrupts / memory channels / latency / more work etc) with having the music files on the same u-SD as the OS .... as to having the music files on a seperate usb stick ?

I don't know the answer to the question, but I did have my RPi3 set up with Moode 3.7 on a 128GB uSD with expanded partition, with all the music on the boot card. I used the setup as a standalone player in AP mode, no USB or NAS sources, everything on the uSD. I could run an MPD update pretty quickly --as long as there were no problems with corrupted files-- or (interestingly) as long there were no brackets ( [ or ] ) in the folder names or file names of the stored music files. If either of those problems existed, the MPD update would hang with the arrows spinning 'round and 'round on the Sources tab.

The problem with having both the Moode OS and all the music on the single uSD is that if anything happens that requires you to re-image the OS, you have to copy your music files back onto the re-imaged uSD once your system is back up and running. Transferring 100+GB of music files from the backup to the newly formatted uSD took something like 5 hours. It's not worth it, imo. Better to get any old little uSD card for the OS and a nice big USB storage drive like a 128GB USB stick or a USB SSD for the music.

I found an 8GB uSD card for $5 and a USB 2.0 256GB USB stick for $45 and have just set those up with a brand new Moode 3.8.4 install. The 128GB uSD cost $50, but I'm sure I can use it for something, somewhere.

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have gone with the big uSD.
--

I don't know the answer to the question, but I did have my RPi3 set up with Moode 3.7 on a 128GB uSD with expanded partition, with all the music on the boot card. I used the setup as a standalone player in AP mode, no USB or NAS sources, everything on the uSD. I could run an MPD update pretty quickly --as long as there were no problems with corrupted files-- or (interestingly) as long there were no brackets ( [ or ] ) in the folder names or file names of the stored music files. If either of those problems existed, the MPD update would hang with the arrows spinning 'round and 'round on the Sources tab.

The problem with having both the Moode OS and all the music on the single uSD is that if anything happens that requires you to re-image the OS, you have to copy your music files back onto the re-imaged uSD once your system is back up and running. Transferring 100+GB of music files from the backup to the newly formatted uSD took something like 5 hours. It's not worth it, imo. Better to get any old little uSD card for the OS and a nice big USB storage drive like a 128GB USB stick or a USB SSD for the music.

I found an 8GB uSD card for $5 and a USB 2.0 256GB USB stick for $45 and have just set those up with a brand new Moode 3.8.4 install. The 128GB uSD cost $50, but I'm sure I can use it for something, somewhere.

If I knew then what I know now, I would not have gone with the big uSD.
--

Thank you for the heads up with the brackets!
I will take the tip on board and go hunt around for a USB stick.
Cheers man.

My Moode 3.8.4 install has started acting up. Yesterday I was playing some music via airplay whilst I was ripping some new CDs into my NAS library (I use ALAC).

Anyway now when I come to use moode via the more typical method of connecting via a browser (chrome) navigating the library and adding to play... the music plays but the playback screen is refusing to update the right handside; no album cover and no information about the track playing, it just says Airplay session active - when clearly it isn't and iTunes is not even running on my laptop.

Any suggestions how to fix. I have rebooted twice, I would prefer not to have to reflash the SDcard and setup my config again. Cheers in advance

Once your at around 128G on a USB stick, it's the same price for a 1TB external HDD.

On Aliexpress you can get an external USB3.0 SSD for ~$100 for 256GB

I have a 2TB WD My Passport USB HDD I'm using as a data backup. (It cost $79 USD.) I'll try using it with my RPi3 after it's up and running again. I'm not sure the stock Canakit 5V 2A SMPS can supply enough peak current for when the pi+Boss DAC+HDD demands it.

Yes, true about the SSDs. They use a lot less current than HDDs too, right? That makes them very attractive for using with a pi. If you can come up with the extra $50 or so, an SSD will be way better. If you're in the USA, 120GB SSDs can be had for under $70 USD. Way faster than you actually need for any audio file type or size too. Copying your library will go way more quickly.

For me, getting that 256GB USB stick was an impulse buy since it was under $50. I figure the lower current demand from the USB stick is worth the cost-per-GB penalty.
-

Last edited: