Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

...music plays but the playback screen is refusing to update the right handside; no album cover and no information about the track playing, it just says Airplay session active - when clearly it isn't and iTunes is not even running on my laptop.

Any suggestions how to fix. I have rebooted twice...

Duh! What I didn't try was going into audio config and turning off the Airplay Receiver. When I played music via the browser it shows album art and song info again. I've now re-enabled the AirPlay Receiver again in audio and everything seems to be working properly again.

Apologies for wasting thread space lol

Can't remember ever having that problem, using a 5v/2.5a ipower audio power supply, if that makes any differance. Will try it with my Pi2 and stock power supply tomorrow.

I suspect it very much depends on the chipset in the USB-SATA interface and the type of drive installed. I've never looked at whether there is more to the 'Mac' tag other than the format in the WD Passport range.

I haven't broken my Passport open to see the drive inside, but my experience of those retail external drives is that they are used to 'remnant' stock for the manufacturer and that they will have whatever is in the parts bin at the time.

As an example of different drives, I have three 'Apple' drives - all of 500GB. Two are made by Toshiba and one made by Seagate. The two Toshiba drives are different models, but from MacBooks bought at almost the same time and from the same specification (Mid 2012 MacBook Pro non-Retina). They are both 5400RPM, with the same cache and, on the surface, the same spec. But they perform differently, sound different and present a different load, electrically.

The drive thats proven to be the best-performing and most reliable of my external drives is an Adata, who are not a platter manufacturer, but if my experience in tech manufacturing holds water, they have a specification that their supplier must meet, where WD and Seagate are the maker of all the components and internally the retail division can be convinced to accept whatever the bean counters have a lot of in stock.

My Moode 3.8.4 install has started acting up. Yesterday I was playing some music via airplay whilst I was ripping some new CDs into my NAS library (I use ALAC).

Anyway now when I come to use moode via the more typical method of connecting via a browser (chrome) navigating the library and adding to play... the music plays but the playback screen is refusing to update the right handside; no album cover and no information about the track playing, it just says Airplay session active - when clearly it isn't and iTunes is not even running on my laptop.

Any suggestions how to fix. I have rebooted twice, I would prefer not to have to reflash the SDcard and setup my config again. Cheers in advance

Turn Airplay off, then back on. That should fix the db glitch.

If that doesn't work, there is a quick one-line fix that Tim posted earlier that will reset the Airplay flag.

I used to get it quite regularly as a result of killing the airplay stream, rather than ending it - i.e. shutting my laptop lid while playing something.

Last edited:
Duh! What I didn't try was going into audio config and turning off the Airplay Receiver. When I played music via the browser it shows album art and song info again. I've now re-enabled the AirPlay Receiver again in audio and everything seems to be working properly again.

Apologies for wasting thread space lol

Aha! Just as I wrote that exact answer :( That'll teach me for treating the forum as a serial communication device :)

Hi Tim !

I have some problems with loud crackling and pops on last moOde 3.8.4 with Rpi3, KaliReclocker and Audiophonics 9028 supplied by Ifi Power, music source is from NAS or USB and various Flac up to 192kHz, also it seems that another guy has the same problems as me onto moode 3.8.3 (on roonlabs forum, just checking if he found solution) . But with using last rune RuneAudio image (my previous system before moode player) no crackling and pops also with my previous setup mamboberry LS instead 9028 DAC no problem also with your any MoodePlayer 3.7 and higher, but I would like to stay with your Moode and with my new 9028 DAC if I payed for license and moode has better support ...also seems that last Moode players have sligtly better sound in some aspects (airy...and relaxed) the Rune my maybe it is psychological effect ...
One boy here on Diyaudio forum (Brambus) has the same setup (moreover with kali isolator) as me and he reported no problem with
moode player 3.8 (Audiophonics 9028Q2M settings - 7th August 2017, 09:18 PM ) or he didnt reported yet any issue regarding some cracklings or pops on start of each track, i will try moode 3.8.1 image which I have downloaded from past before update onto 3.8.4 and will see if it will disapper but i guess that not... also i tried all various setting with 3.8.4 (switching between kernels and also between different audio settings) but no susscess...

Another tip what i found is this (not tried it yet..)
Changing SoX resampling to 24 bit /* KHZ and reboot didn't get rid of the pop..........but changing to 24 bit/ 96 KHZ did! I clicked on random tracks, forward & Back, everything I could click, and no pop!

I will try all method again and will see, or can you advice me what to do to get rid of these annoying sound distortions on start of any track?? i think it is software problem...

Also i found that with flac 88.2 these crackling are not so loud...or these are gone

Thanks and regards

Vita

My Moode 3.8.4 install has started acting up. Yesterday I was playing some music via airplay whilst I was ripping some new CDs into my NAS library (I use ALAC).

Anyway now when I come to use moode via the more typical method of connecting via a browser (chrome) navigating the library and adding to play... the music plays but the playback screen is refusing to update the right handside; no album cover and no information about the track playing, it just says Airplay session active - when clearly it isn't and iTunes is not even running on my laptop.

Any suggestions how to fix. I have rebooted twice, I would prefer not to have to reflash the SDcard and setup my config again. Cheers in advance

I create an image (with all the config and power switch management) then back the whole lot up as an *.img file.
I'm with the "impression" that the entire Moode OS is not loaded into memory, could a mains power dip have put it out of joint ?

Edit... good to hear that you've got it fixed.
I should really read the entire thread before hitting reply.

I blame work stress :D

Last edited:
E-MU USB

Thank you all for the advice, but nothing helped (E-MU USB - The sound card does not work properly).

After a deep analysis, the following fact emerged: When playing files like 24/96, 16/48, somtheng another than 16/44,1 sound bitstreaming in soundcard, but operating system doesn't chachge internal clock of it quartz. So soundcart decoding at 44100 samples all files and break quality.

In the distribution of Runaudio everything works perfectly after this workaround: Samplerate problem on E-MU 0404USB : Bug report • RuneAudio Forum

How to fix the situation? Maybe Tim make a patch? For example, "E-MU USB Fix"

Some useful links on the topic:

Samplerate problem on E-MU 0404USB : Bug report • RuneAudio Forum
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3
[alsa-devel] mpd + emu 0404 USB automatic sample rate

I hope for understanding and help on your part. Thanks for your hard work.
Sincerely, Valentin Butko.

Thank you all for the advice, but nothing helped (E-MU USB - The sound card does not work properly).

After a deep analysis, the following fact emerged: When playing files like 24/96, 16/48, somtheng another than 16/44,1 sound bitstreaming in soundcard, but operating system doesn't chachge internal clock of it quartz. So soundcart decoding at 44100 samples all files and break quality.

In the distribution of Runaudio everything works perfectly after this workaround: Samplerate problem on E-MU 0404USB : Bug report • RuneAudio Forum

How to fix the situation? Maybe Tim make a patch? For example, "E-MU USB Fix"

Some useful links on the topic:

Samplerate problem on E-MU 0404USB : Bug report • RuneAudio Forum
Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3
[alsa-devel] mpd + emu 0404 USB automatic sample rate

I hope for understanding and help on your part. Thanks for your hard work.
Sincerely, Valentin Butko.

You could resample your audio to a rate that doesn't break and ensure any future encoding is done at a rate the E-MU works with.

If that was the case, you wouldn't be asking for a fix, would you?

From your link:"the problem is that it does NOT swich sample rates automatically"

So it's known that the DAC is problematic. You want a solution: one solution is to resample your audio. Does that answer "Why should I re-encode the files?"? Or do you only want a solution that you've already found?

As there are Linux distros where it does auto-switch, the problem is likely to be with the driver, which is the domain of the manufacturer. Have you looked on their site for an updated driver? Have you raised a bug report with Raspbian?

You don't have to resample all your files - do an audit and find the greatest number of common rate and make that your standard. You only need to resample those that fall outside that rate and ensure any new files are encoded at that rate.

Or get a DAC that isn't problematic in your chosen implementation.

Last edited:
This sound card supports the sound of 24bit-192kHz natively. Why should I re-encode the files? Or did I misunderstand you?

With a USB connection to my DAC, I was getting occasional soft intermittent clicks when playing 24/96 files. When re-sampled to 24/48, the clicks vanished.

I also switched DAC connection from USB to digital via a HAT on the Pi, and that plays 24/96 without clicks. YMMV.

SD card formatted with MoOde OS 3.8. The hard drive is just music files, mostly FLAC, ALAC, and some MP3s and WAVs.

Yeah, I've found that's the smart way to do it. I've had to re-image three times now, due to mistakes I've made that hosed the OS.

Re: whether a RPi 3 can safely power an external USB HDD:
My Passport Ultra current draw - WD Portable Drives - WD Community
The conclusion seems to be only one HDD per pi. I had my pi3 running with two thumb drives plugged in, with no problems.

Last edited:
Rpi Zero W | IQ audio Pi-DACZero Issues

Hi,

Anyone running this configuration - it was ok for a couple of days but now won't play anything without continual stuttering every 0.5 seconds - almost like its struggling to access files. The Moode interface is extremely slow and laggy. I am playing FLAC 16/44.1 FLAC (962 kbps) from an OpenMediaVault server.

I also have an Rpi3 with the IQ audio Pi-DigiAMP+ accessing the same server/files with no issues.

I have restarted server and router but no difference - it is currently unusable. My next option is a new image. Question is whether anyone is running this setup with no issues, am I expecting too much from the Pi Zero or is there a specific setting I need to change? I have tried increasing the buffer and the different kernels but still same issues.

James

Hi,

Anyone running this configuration - it was ok for a couple of days but now won't play anything without continual stuttering every 0.5 seconds - almost like its struggling to access files. The Moode interface is extremely slow and laggy. I am playing FLAC 16/44.1 FLAC (962 kbps) from an OpenMediaVault server.

I also have an Rpi3 with the IQ audio Pi-DigiAMP+ accessing the same server/files with no issues.

I have restarted server and router but no difference - it is currently unusable. My next option is a new image. Question is whether anyone is running this setup with no issues, am I expecting too much from the Pi Zero or is there a specific setting I need to change? I have tried increasing the buffer and the different kernels but still same issues.

James

If you can log into the Pi Zero using SSH, run the "top" command. It is similar to the Task Manager in Windows and after a while it will show what uses the most resources at the top. If something is close to 100%, it is probably the culprit.

If you use WiFi try increasing the radio power or disable power management. Run "sudo iwconfig". If it says "Power Management: off", or something similar, it is already off. If it is on, run "sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off". It may reset itself to its default state again after a reboot. You can do the following to make it permanent:

ModMyPi | Disable Wifi Power Management

You can also try to change the scheduling used by mpd and/or the kernel. If the kernel has real-time scheduling / low latency enabled (it probably has), do the following:

Real-Time Scheduling

Just installing different kernels will not make a difference if not managing the priorities as well.

You can add any command to be run after a reboot to "/etc/rc.local" (without the "sudo" in front, because it already runs as "root").

Do not forget to have a look inside your /etc/config.txt. See what you can improve. Overclock it a little etc., but first make sure you find the actual issue.

There are certain conditions that may cause mpd to use 100% CPU. It recently happened to me when it could not find the music folder.

Last edited: