Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim
Houston... we have a problem!!!!!!!!

I upgraded to 3.82... all was fine, reboot... then play music and all perfect
So i tried to change latency on LL... from 10ms to 5, reboot and this was the last time that i could see interface...
No way to have it working again, many reboots but nothing to do, even from command line, no connection.

That happened to me with in place upgrade too.

Reimaged from the 3.8.2 full download and no problems since.

Phil

The same happened to me when I tried to change to 5ms.

Hi,

The update package instructions read:

This package updates moOde 3.8 series to version 3.8.2. The package is 200 MB in size and can take 5 MINUTES or more to download and install.

1) Reboot when Installation Complete message appears.
2) After rebooting, use System config to INSTALL new Linux kernel.

Remember to BACKUP your SD Card before updating.

If step #2 is not done and one of the Latency levels is SET the system will be bricked at reboot because it will be running the old .40 kernel with a new .41 kernel.img file. The Latency levels result in different kernel.img files being installed.

It could probably be un-bricked by copying the .40 kernel and kernel7.img files back to /boot

-Tim

Hi @BackinBlack,

I believe this is happening when step #2 in the Update instructions is not carried out after initial reboot.

If after the update is installed and system is rebooted, view moOde About and if the Linux kernel shows 4.9.40 then step 2 has to be performed before Latency level can be changed, otherwise system will be bricked at reboot.

-Tim

Hi,

This package updates moOde 3.8 series to version 3.8.2. The package is 200 MB in size and can take 5 MINUTES or more to download and install.

If step #2 is not done and one of the Latency levels is SET the system will be bricked at reboot because it will be running the old .40 kernel with a new .41 kernel.img file. The Latency levels result in different kernel.img files being installed.

It could probably be un-bricked by copying the .40 kernel and kernel7.img files back to /boot

-Tim
Tim, this has nothing to do with you. The solution was in the update guide.
But you've got to understand that most (technical) people tend to do things first and then read the manual, not the other way around ;-)

Johan

Hi @BackinBlack,

I believe this is happening when step #2 in the Update instructions is not carried out after initial reboot.

If after the update is installed and system is rebooted, view moOde About and if the Linux kernel shows 4.9.40 then step 2 has to be performed before Latency level can be changed, otherwise system will be bricked at reboot.

-Tim
Thanks Tim, I thought I had rebooted before Installing. Will try with new image.
Many Thanks
Ian

Tim, this has nothing to do with you. The solution was in the update guide.
But you've got to understand that most (technical) people tend to do things first and then read the manual, not the other way around ;-)

Johan

Ahahahahah Bloody hell! You are right! Even when I buy a new spacecraft to go to Mars I don't read instructions... I'm a technician :)
Tim.. sorry for this :D

Hi @Sammur

The symptoms "same issues with my Mojo as Sergey" and "drop out of track's beginning ... with Digi+ and now with Digione" is very odd.

Can you verify that its not your downstream audio device thats causing the issue?

moOde already has code that performs stop, 250 ms delay then play whenever a Playlist item is clicked.

-Tim

Hi Tim, thank you for reply. The problem with "drop out" in current Moode versions occurs ONLY when you click on the track that is playing right now. When you choose to start another track from the playlist - its ok, the delay of the playback works. Its not a big problem but sometimes you need/want to start over the now playing track again and you'll not hear the very beginning of your favourite song.
Should I mention that drop out of the track beginning is not a problem of any MPD for raspberry pi. I had the same issues with Mojo while streaming music to it from some media players on my PC. And the playback delay you added to Moode player is a really amazing feature for some Mojo owners. However it doesnt't work for the case I mentioned. Thank you.

Hi,

-Tim

Thanks Tim.

This is one thing computers can do better than people, though. With a bit of additional logic in Moode the updater could be made to 'do the right thing' whatever kernel one was upgrading from.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Tim, thank you for reply. The problem with "drop out" in current Moode versions occurs ONLY when you click on the track that is playing right now. When you choose to start another track from the playlist - its ok, the delay of the playback works. Its not a big problem but sometimes you need/want to start over the now playing track again and you'll not hear the very beginning of your favourite song.
Should I mention that drop out of the track beginning is not a problem of any MPD for raspberry pi. I had the same issues with Mojo while streaming music to it from some media players on my PC. And the playback delay you added to Moode player is a really amazing feature for some Mojo owners. However it doesnt't work for the case I mentioned. Thank you.

Hi @Sammur,

The challenge to troubleshooting this particular issue is that I'm not able to repro it with any of the audio devices I use for testing.

The code actually works the opposite as you describe.

- Click on same Playlist item: stop, 250 ms delay, play <pos>
- Click on another Playlist item: play <pos>

The output below is from the Browser console with a bit of debug logging added to the code. It shows the actual commands sent to MPD. The player is initially stopped. You can see that clicking on the initial item and then clicking on another item produces just the "play <pos>" command. Clicking on the same item that is already playing produces "stop, play <pos>" command. The delay in between the two commands is added by the receiving code on the server.

[Log] play 49 (scripts-panels.js, line 396)
[Log] play 50 (scripts-panels.js, line 396)
[Log] stop,play 50 (scripts-panels.js, line 396)

Edit-to-add

Below is the debug from the server side and there appears to be a BUG in the code that processes "click on same playlist item". Note the delay also occurs after the play command. This may be the cause of the drop out at beginning of song that occurs with certain devices.

20170815 180619 sendMpdCmd
20170815 180626 sendMpdCmd
20170815 180635 chainMpdCmds
20170815 180635 stop
20170815 180635 250000
20170815 180635 play 50
20170815 180635 250000

-Tim

Last edited:
Back...

I deleted my first source and kept the second one.
Now it's mounted after a reboot...
I added the other source and seems OK too.

Hope it will stay like this because library scanning takes a while each time.

Thanks.

@AdZero

I have a hunch your problem can be traced to this part of your remote directory paths: "FLAC (HD)" for one NAS and "FLAC" for the other. Blanks are legal in Linux path and file names but they can bedevil scripts which have to deal with them.

My hypothesis that once "volume1/Music/FLAC (HD)" gets mounted as "/mnt/NAS/FLAC (HD)", the reboot code involved sees it as "/mnt/NAS/FLAC" when it tries to mount "volume1/Music/FLAC" to the same mountpoint "/mnt/NAS/FLAC". That would account for the error message you received

Code:
Last mount error
mount.nfs: /mnt/NAS/FLAC is busy or already mounted

It appears in this latest message that you've now reversed the order in which these NAS sources get mounted, which would (accidentally) avoid this problem. (Renaming either or both directories should work just as well.)

Of course I've been known to be wrong before and I may well be wrong now.:rolleyes:

Regards,
Kent

PS - Just for completeness: At the moment my moOde Player is configured for three NAS sources using NFS, the second of which is broken, e.g., red "x". The two valid ones come right up upon reboot.

Last edited:
updated to 3.8.2 all good using std kernel.
Configured Lirc..all working.
Installed rt-kernel and now ui is unresponsive.... I can navigate the "moode" menu and one time shot bring up a sub menu but any changes fail.
Playback tab is unpopulated and no controls.
library has 'error ' top left and browse is blank

Can't shut down from ui but ssh shutdown is ok.

Any suggestions...can I rollback and reinstall std kernel from command line ?

Hi Tim,
The problem with Mojo still exists: when you start over again the currently playing track Moode drops almost a second of track’s beginning. Thus, the modification to the code you made to Moode’s 3.7+ versions (playback delay) works while changing tracks only.

Sergey.

Hi Tim! I had the same issues with my Mojo as Sergey had so it's not a problem of particular configuration. I had a drop out of track's beginning on Volumio and Moode with pi 3, pi 3 with Digi+ and now with Digione. As I know you added an option to delay the playback to 3.7 version of Moode but the drop out still occurs when you start over the now playing track. So is there a possibility to correct this issue (by adding the delay of playback when you replay the currently playing track) in your future Moode releases? Thank you.

Hi,

I fixed a logic bug in the code that processes "click on same Playlist item". The bad logic was causing a 250 ms delay to be added after the play cmd. This could be the cause of the audio drop out in your scenarios.

I'll put out a 3.8.3 bugfix release that will include this fix and any others that are reported and can be fixed in next week or so.

Thanks for keeping the bug reports coming :)

-Tim

Hi @swizzle,

Possibly. The challenge is that certain types of updates consists of two parts where the second part can only be completed after the first part is installed followed by a reboot.

This is why some moOde updates have manual steps that need to be completed after reboot.

Two-part updates can be handled by creating a run-once script that is automatically executed after the first part is installed and the system is rebooted but implementing this so it is robust is not a trivial undertaking.

-Tim

@AdZero

I have a hunch your problem can be traced to this part of your remote directory paths: "FLAC (HD)" for one NAS and "FLAC" for the other. Blanks are legal in Linux path and file names but they can bedevil scripts which have to deal with them.

My hypothesis that once "volume1/Music/FLAC (HD)" gets mounted as "/mnt/NAS/FLAC (HD)", the reboot code involved sees it as "/mnt/NAS/FLAC" when it tries to mount "volume1/Music/FLAC" to the same mountpoint "/mnt/NAS/FLAC". That would account for the error message you received

Code:
Last mount error
mount.nfs: /mnt/NAS/FLAC is busy or already mounted

It appears in this latest message that you've now reversed the order in which these NAS sources get mounted, which would (accidentally) avoid this problem. (Renaming either or both directories should work just as well.)

Of course I've been known to be wrong before and I may well be wrong now.:rolleyes:

Regards,
Kent

PS - Just for completeness: At the moment my moOde Player is configured for three NAS sources using NFS, the second of which is broken, e.g., red "x". The two valid ones come right up upon reboot.

Hi Kent,

Below is a debug dump of two mount strings. The first is to my FLAC collection on a moOde NAS and the second is just a bogus NFS mount that I entered on NAS config.

As u can see, the component paths are enclosed in quotes. There must be something else causing the odd fail of 2nd NFS mount in AdZero's case.

mount -t cifs "//moode/USB/EXFAT-256GB/Audio/FLAC" -o username=admin,password='password',rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,cache=strict,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 "/mnt/NAS/Music"

mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,ro,noatime "moode:/USB/EXFAT-256GB/Audio/FLAC2" "/mnt/NAS/Music2"

-Tim

Hi Kent,

Below is a debug dump of two mount strings. The first is to my FLAC collection on a moOde NAS and the second is just a bogus NFS mount that I entered on NAS config.

As u can see, the component paths are enclosed in quotes. There must be something else causing the odd fail of 2nd NFS mount in AdZero's case.

mount -t cifs "//moode/USB/EXFAT-256GB/Audio/FLAC" -o username=admin,password='password',rsize=61440,wsize=65536,iocharset=utf8,cache=strict,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777 "/mnt/NAS/Music"

mount -t nfs -o nfsvers=3,ro,noatime "moode:/USB/EXFAT-256GB/Audio/FLAC2" "/mnt/NAS/Music2"

-Tim

Hi, Tim.

Like I said, I've been known to be wrong before. Gotta retreat to the Bat Cave and cogitate some more about this.

Regards,
Kent