Modulus-86 build thread

Italy - timing can sometimes be an issue, and in the case of my first purchase Fedex managed to lose it in a New Jersey warehouse for over a month.

It'll be interesting to see what the delivery times are like on the new ACA custom chassis scheduled for release late July. I think this was a case of "holy snapping alligators, this thing sold out in how many days?"

but we’re on the mod86 thread! ;)

I know. Chris was asking about the MOD686 amp I'll bring to The Island in August, though, so I figured we were still in that context.

Back on target: It looks like the HY 330x70mm, 330x88mm, and 230x99mm options would be good fits for a MOD86, assuming you can make the power supply fit. Larger would work too, obviously.

Tom

I know. Chris was asking about the MOD686 amp I'll bring to The Island in August, though, so I figured we were still in that context.

Back on target: It looks like the HY 330x70mm, 330x88mm, and 230x99mm options would be good fits for a MOD86, assuming you can make the power supply fit. Larger would work too, obviously.

Tom

awesome, thanx for the confirmation!

It's playing ! No sparks, no smoke, all just working, including input selector and attenuator volume control !

Got it all in the chassis nice and tidy and outside also looks very, very clean, which was the purpose.

Sounds pretty good already !

lm3886_modulus86zas4k.jpg

Very cool. Now that I see it again, I do recall seeing that a week or two ago. Thanks for posting again.

Pretty neat with the 3D printed bearings and shaft extensions. That's cool!

It looks like a tidy and very solid build. Thanks for sharing.

My only suggestion is that you add a wire tie on the two white (primary) wires from the transformer. If you get them tightly coupled (bundled), they won't emit as much hum. What you have is fine, but for that last dollop of icing on the cake, the last dot above the i, I'd bundle those wires.

Nicely done.

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I thought about building one for quite a while before I did, as I had never solderd a PCB (just some basic soldering is what I did) but in the end it wasn't too hard with all the info supplied by Tom with the PCB's, just a bit nervous in the end when putting power on :)

Cheers and thanks for the support here !

Oh, nothing... Just a little protection board. :)

Regular readers of this thread will know that many have requested a little protection board to guard against DC on the output of the amp. So without further ado, I introduce the Guardian-86.

Features:
  • Mono construction.
  • No relays! All switching is done with MOSFETs for lower distortion.
  • No relay contacts to wear.
  • Adds no distortion of its own.
  • Floating photovoltaic MOSFET driver to ensure consistent good performance throughout the full swing of the output signal.
  • 5-second delay on power-up. Output disabled when supply voltage falls below 20 V.
  • Input: Molex Mega-Fit connector for easy connection to the Modulus-286 and screw terminals for the Modulus-86 and other amps.
  • Output: Screw terminals and two 4.2 mm diameter holes at 3/4" spacing for direct mounting on the speaker output terminals.
  • 2.50 x 1.75 inch footprint.

The Guardian-86 is compatible with the Modulus-86, Modulus-286, and other single-ended (i.e. not bridged or BTL) amplifiers. There'll be a separate protection board for the Modulus-686.

Tom

Sounds very nice!

Is the GND of the board power supply separated from the speaker-GND (audio-GND)? Many protection boards have the two GNDs connected, which creates ground loops when these boards are added to an amplifier.

You do need to provide a ground reference for the DC detection circuit to work. This ground reference will need to be shared between the speaker ground and the "protection ground" (or whatever you'd call it). I choses to combine the two on the protection board.

The ground loop is easy to avoid. You can do this in (at least) two ways:
  1. Use a galvanically isolated supply for the protection board.
  2. Route the "protection ground" through the speaker return wire.
The few pV of offset created by the current of the protection circuit will not harm the amplifier or its output.

Ground loop considerations and avoidance will be included in the design documentation.

Tom

Hello Tom and fellow builders,

I get a nasty hum when PE and the ground connector of the Power86 are both connected to the chassis. When unplugging my single ended preamp, Linn Kairn, the hum goes away. Likwise, when I disconnect PE OR the Ground from the power86 it goes away.

Any advice is very welcome.

Other than that, the amplifier works great.