• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modifying the Subbu V3 DAC

JP,

Is your proposal for Androa only ? (à prendre avec des pincettes ?)

Androa : before regs : 10 uF tantalum + 100 nF +10 nF both ceramics ?

Ok for the clock, I already came back to your values , but without listened any difference !

So your tried KZ Muse : do you like it ? prefer the SAL ? or others ? Would be pleased to have your enthusiam listening review on my 2 BOM but with your values before the regs (avoiding the Nichicons and trying to put 1 uF BG on C36) :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You could use a more effective way of asking like:

@ androa : what blah blah ?

@ JP: what about blah blah ?

OK ? After addressing to the right persons name then the specific questions like this:

- Regarding the combination of 10 uF tantalum + 100 nF +10 nF: are both the 10 and 100 nF ceramic caps ?

- if so which brand and type number did you use for the 10 and 100 nF ceramic caps ?

- which tantalum brand and type did you use for the 10 µF cap ?

Or even better:

1. Regarding the combination of 10 uF tantalum + 100 nF +10 nF: are both the 10 and 100 nF ceramic caps ?

2. If so which brand and type number did you use for the 10 and 100 nF ceramic caps ?

3. Which tantalum brand and type did you use for the 10 µF cap ?

Not to be bold but you could make things more clear by using the same amount of words but with 'to the point questions". Not a salvo of questions that require too much attention of the reader if only to understand exactly what you mean. Too short like "or others ?" won't work effectively too. Second advantage is that it will save you making a next post with detailed questions as the ones in the previous post were not clear.

Drinking and posting does not go together monsieur Eldam ;) Santé !

Last edited:
I will do my report if i will see it is usefull.
At the moment progress in sound is not so big that satisfied me.
Must confess both Subbus plays almost good maybe in middle range even better than Northstar essensio. But when i listen to nonfeedback Audio gd 17.32 i realize what I... am looking for. Maybe for you members that is unimportant and all reading and tweaking with this dac is unimportant. Stay with last modified BOM except SEP 10uF for WM8804 and enjoy. Dac plays very very good. If tonality is not perfect follow Eldam recomendation.
I search for magic :). Effect that you can read about in another thread. (Rasmussen effect).
Music starts to play ultimate 3D. Widely left and right and back and front. Audio gd plays with such an ease in all dimensions that you immediatelly become feeling of realism in your mind. Technically is maybe not so perfect...maybe Subbu plays in some segments even better, but you get feling that subbu strugles to get all the energy trough air to your ears if you know what i mean. And all the music is not so 3D, a little bit to flat and has some tension ... in my subconsciousness.
If it will be some progress in that way a will report.
PS. Eldam do you already have R2R dac at home. How ist it sounds like?
One question for French members. Can anybody translate or help me with translation of this youtube videos. I think this guy can tel us something new and usefull.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jipihorn/videos
I am interested in comparisson between es9018 and subbu dac, es9018 fft mesurements, and dac tehniques.
Thank you Davorin

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You can't buy magic for the price of a Subbu DAC (but it comes quite close ;)). Please see things in perspective. Northstar Essence is/was around 1100 Euro...

Try to keep the load not too low with V3, that makes quite a difference. Originally the idea was to include a 2C51 tube buffer but I never realized this. It does not comply with the idea of a very compact low cost simple device and the transformer alone would have been more expensive than V3 is now. I do have the transformer and tubes etc. V4 maybe ? :)

@ Eldam:
Ah : Sorry...

@J-P : What blah blah ?

Aha, le french resistance !

Last edited:
Androa,

I perfectly agree with your "philosophy"... We are looking le "je ne sais quoi" from the simpliest design. Certainly a source of missunderstandings between members, especially here. We all understand why : Hifi is an assembly of devices and its nearly impossible to exchange by posts about feeling the magic or a part of it when changing a little thing (ah I did notread the Joe R effect... too long and complicate for me) ! Well my meaning is : if it stays 50% on an other system of what I consider an improvement at home : I write about it for members ! Different method, same goal ! Well try & error is not a method as JP loves to write "pour ramener la couverture à soit", but this is the only one I can use, so ! (Notice: "ramener la couverture en soie" is more a chineese expression that the venitians used to tell ! But it's very not usefull for the thread and totally off topic !)

No problem for me, you can report if I'm wrong or if you don't love what I find to sound good at home: It's usefull : I like to exchange and learn !

Jipihorn has an interressant blog, well videos mode is bizarre but paste with maybe the goal to go fast with a teaching presentation. But very too long to translate...:eek:. The man seems to like tubes and high efficienty speakers.

@J-P : I believe I understood perfectly what you wrote in french, it's good enough to be understood and I appreciate the effort! But as you like to be very "titilleux" with the language: you mixed two things which can't be mixed. One says :

1-/: Ah ! La résistance française...

2-/: Ah ! Les french résistants... (but as you wrote the non-plurial with "Le"... you can erase the point 2-/ )

3-/: Ah ! Le french résistant... (if you want to talk about me specifically !)

1 to 3 can be reversed with no importance : all are good in relation to what you wanted to write. But as I said, it's ok with the original phrase, any french will understand you !

Ah is it not funny when I copy you ? :D

Bon les gars ! Thank you for sharing ! On avance !

Last edited:
To resume the point of view of the Jipihorn video about the subbu measurement ( I gave up the video after 3 glass of wine ! Gales can be upset rapidly !) : nothing new, he measured also the limiting factors of the es9023 with the embeded oap ! And show what overs already knows with the es9018 : external i/v mode is better.

This is what I believe to understand but as I'm not technician... My understanding is he is member himself here or at least reader. You should send him an email contact from him website ! I'm sure you can exchange in english if you are able to understand my two cents english ! French engineers can read english AND read english books !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As titilleux as I may be: I just thought of Rene Artois in Allo Allo. Frenglish so to say

BTW nice to see the Jipihorn video in french (hard to understand though) but I like his comment : he would choose the Subbu ;) It is clear the noise difference will not bother anyone at these low levels.

Last edited:
Does he say, he would choose the ES9023 over a 18 one... I'm not sure ?!

J-P, if you can understand the french a little: your love of the different and native languages would appreciate a Lot (which is also a beautifull aera here) a french TV entertainment called "Kamelott" (the tittle is a word game) about the knights and Arthur King to let you understand more the french spirit : it can not be translated and goes very further than Monthy phython in a near maneer! As some germans and french philosophs or poesy of all the language : must be read or heard in the native language, can not be translated without loosing a lot (which is not an aera anymore without the "L") !

Hey funny you thought of René Artois I thought about Papa Schultz and the language diktat :D.... But here i think you are on a "piste glissante" ! Look at Kamelott, only based on the language !

Last edited:
I can*t cooperate in debate in French language because i don*t understand almost nothing in French. :)
Eldam ... your suggestion are welcome..i tried it, BG 1uf is not in my collection and i don*t have ambition to look over net for it. Maybe you have one to buy to try.
For now i have KZ at WM8804... maybe little more harshness as sal-rpm but i think maybe maybe some more dynamic...must left for a few days to burn in .
We all have completely different systems and taste. I think that with cap i will not get that magic that i am looking for... maybe in next days, or next week when i will try some reg. at AVCC and main 5-6V PS.
J.P. did you try tube buffer? how does it sound? Did you try JG buffer?
Maybe buffer will give him this ultimate 3d presentation.
Today i tried subbu against 17.32 with some orcestral music... in some passages difference was almost like *half stereo* to stereo. In Perfect Sense Part 1, piano in first minute at right side was 50% larger and cricket on left side was on subbu almost behind the speaker, with Audio gd in front and very realistic, also vokal was damm realistic.
Maybe we try your ideas (buffer, transformer) and if result is promissing then V4.
In this stage i think that maximmum that 9023 can give was reached.

which value and voltage for the KZ ? 20 uF is harsh not the 10 uF ! As said the 20 uF are interressant to test to discover the greater possibility in clearness for the bass frequencies ! But live with the 10 uF is only a reasonable choice (notice at home or for my ears the 10 uF don't oscillate :) or I can't just hear it or it stays a good trade off with the soft they had at c13/8... but let stay on the KZ for the conversation :) )

You're maybe simply more demanding that I am with sound result ! It's not impossible !

Btw i believe c32/36 is changing many things in the final result, I can live with the 2.5 mm pitch MKS2 1uF but get a much better result with a simple BG. Gary testimonied for a little improvement only with a better 1 uF BG N serie...

So all is compensation and respective systems ! Maybe we talk about the last outrages of drosophiles here... the last 1% of improvement in relation to the stock V3 !
thanks for sharing

LOL ! Will look for SAL RPM in my prizewinning collection of parts. If you promise to solder parts straight with a petit pince from now on I will think about a SBT PSU for you. We call this "chantage" in dutch.

Lol, the only dutchs I know can do "chantage" but with a kriss on the throat !

oh man you are the only man I know on earth which can do chantage with "pincette", you are worst than wife with "pince à épiler" before going to Opéra :p

Man wee need you here to fight the terrorists, they are not "to be taken with pincettes" :D... (= "they are not in a bad mood today")

look at Kamelott ("camelote" (same prononciation) word in french means : bad quality goods ! Look at the series, first seasons, you will love it ! Of course in French, but any subtitles could describe the mix of street language, old languages and word games situations ! But sometimes situations are so stupid than yuy laugh without listen to !)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No ! No subtitles when looking french comedy. I love the stress understanding what is being said. I am proud of the french for being what they are: stubborn and persisting in their culture. I think it has certain values I like. The slow food movement vs. fast food for instance ;) La resistance Française contre la culture mondial de McDonalds :D Les Francais peuvent faire des choses de bonne qualité malgré des voix qui disent la contraire.

http://www.slowfood.fr

Please understand that even if I can't relate to your methods I still like the stubborn way you plough through heaps of caps on your V3.

Cordialement,

JP

PS if the wife needs a "pince à épiler" often she better switches to a "Gilette". Just a tip :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I can*t cooperate in debate in French language because i don*t understand almost nothing in French. :)
Eldam ... your suggestion are welcome..i tried it, BG 1uf is not in my collection and i don*t have ambition to look over net for it. Maybe you have one to buy to try.
For now i have KZ at WM8804... maybe little more harshness as sal-rpm but i think maybe maybe some more dynamic...must left for a few days to burn in .
We all have completely different systems and taste. I think that with cap i will not get that magic that i am looking for... maybe in next days, or next week when i will try some reg. at AVCC and main 5-6V PS.
J.P. did you try tube buffer? how does it sound? Did you try JG buffer?
Maybe buffer will give him this ultimate 3d presentation.
Today i tried subbu against 17.32 with some orcestral music... in some passages difference was almost like *half stereo* to stereo. In Perfect Sense Part 1, piano in first minute at right side was 50% larger and cricket on left side was on subbu almost behind the speaker, with Audio gd in front and very realistic, also vokal was damm realistic.
Maybe we try your ideas (buffer, transformer) and if result is promissing then V4.
In this stage i think that maximmum that 9023 can give was reached.

Hi Androa what is the load to the V3 ? More than 10 kOhm I hope ? I don't recognize the phenomenon you describe.

I did not try the buffer but I do have the parts in stock.