• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modifying the Subbu V3 DAC

HNY to you and Subbu fellow!

So as your are not a moderator and speak about our beloved Kim Jong Un, I advise you this serie about Kim Jong and Kadhafi speaking about a dog. Maid by the japanese TV for their children education ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MxbwtnUy70

Ah, great, if we can talk about cap rolls maid by virgins :

About the V3.xxxxxx : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/246003-modifying-subbu-v3-dac.html#post3705861 and also : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/246003-modifying-subbu-v3-dac-48.html#post3981674

My last is swaping the SEP I used near the WM8804 (and than Phil/Korben took for the last GB assembly) by two KZ Muse 20 uf/100 V : a bit touchy to putt, but a very interresting improvement on subjectives dynamic and some clarity. a default : it's a little front soundstage presentation : a little like if you use a 20 uF SEPC - that's why the SEP are more interresting than the SEPC here at least + softer !

Maybe try those KZ muse on your system here ! 50/100 V are said to be better than the 25 V; unfornatully the minimum is 20 uf in the KZ Muse range or I would had tried 10 uF instead !

I didn't try the Panasonic FR instead the FM on your PS but as the new you use seems better, I will not speak anymore on the V3 PS, but yest as the strange caps atre permitted here : a 47 uF Black Gate// on the output of the 1 uF : improve a lot the artriculation in the bass and adds as well some thickness.

Of course, all this is subjective and tested on my system (but which has the reputation to be very clear as an ESL speaker !)

My two cents + 0.1 % as we are on 2015 now !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Mmm, difficult one as IMO a vendor is an entity that makes profit on the stuff it sells. I thought group buys are not vendor activities. In fact I was thinking of giving the PCB design to diyaudio.com (if there is a wish for that) so that boards can be bought in the store. As it seems we won't do a third/fourth (lost count) GB anymore after having produced several hundreds of the boards. Move the thread over to the Vendor section if you like.

I would like it when people could leave the Subbu V3 schematics on their own harddisks in return for our efforts to deliver a good DAC. It has nothing to do with people wanting to copy the design or something like that !

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:cop:

Hi Jean,

It was your original request from the 1st January stating,

"Please remove schematics as we stated in the early beginning of the DAC project that we don't like our schematics to be online."

It was the continued unwillingness to share the details that has resulted in the move to Vendors. That decision was taken after considered discussion by the Moderation Team as a whole.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
"Continued unwillingness". Nice way of telling me. We have provided a nice design and every active builder receives schematics. We just want to avoid unnecessary discussions from bystanders. We are not true vendors but if things are treated this way every new design will be a commercial design, not a GB.

Thank you.

Not sure many people choosed to modify their board with Gary, mine or else alternative BOM ! Many reason for that : modifications must be blessed, etc...

Oliver, you didn't try regarding the beautifull photograph of your cabinet (you are an artist !) !

What a pity the Subbu can be very better with few mods ! E.G. I tryed soon the SAL caps around the W8804 ! A poor choice in fact because a sor t of harchness (distorse) in the highs even if the rest below stay thick with a good tonal balance.

In this same spirit a KZ Muse is better than the SAL because you will find the same harchness in the highs BUT a demoniac dynamic and a sota transparency in the low end than no DAC gave to me today !

If the harchness is too bad, just keep my Panasonic SEP tweak above in my BOM² (BOM Modification) : you will have all the softness of analogic with a better subjective tonal balance than the SAL or Elna... And yes : SEP not SEPC !

Gratuit, free, I sell nothing, nore any pcbs !

ps: weskoki : have you fixed your problems with the Subbu ? did you finally ask in the "Official" build thread (which as the photograph of the pcb with all the voltages on first page while staying in the digital line ;) !

Last edited:
one day : maybe 5 hours of listening (but have not the 10 uf, just axial 3.3 and radial 2 uf tryed at c32... prefer the BG or the MKS2 2.5 pitch here, I mean at c32).

Good tonal balance and thickness in the low-mid with the Sal-rpm 2uF around the W8805, I have the the low while not liking a certain harchness in the trebles when some dynamic peaks. But here I believe we touch at some differences between your hifi and mine... while you never answer to me like Gay did when I ask you what you have at home (can be maid by PM) : it's very usefull to understand the differences as it's subjective.

Did you try the KS muze at the place I advise (w8804) : did you notice (if you have a Subbu with My BOM adaptation elswhere or the chance to have a BG N at c32) the incredible clearness improvement in the mid-bass region (jazz drums and bass are very "transparent" while having a too much agressiv treble ? But can match maybe a dark hifi or a very soft tweeter.... but has to be tryed, while not being universal like the good SEP here (the sepc are horrible here !).

Did you try to replace all the ceramic 1 uF withh little (but bigger size than the ceramics) PPS ? Can you say to me if you find it good or not tested because you thinked about a better inductance with low size ceramic ?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
So you did not use the SAL-RPM 10 µF as stated in the BOM ? That means you can't advise against using SAL-RPM ! It really is comparing apples to pears.

No time to do anything with V3. I have some boards left to build. Even BG N 100 and 1 µF to try but as said, no time. If you can send me a picture with all your mods and the PDF I will save it to try it one day.

BTW maid= "jeune fille", I think you mean "made" ;) Like "Eldam made a good DAC" etc.

Last edited:
:) yes, i'm little mad with english writting ! So : did you jeune-fille.... ouarf !

Did you try the little vishays tubes smt resistor (sorry don't remember the correct name) between the W8004 and the DAC chip ? or even through hole dale resistor as the distance is wide enough on the pcb ? Or did you put directly the best sussumu because good QP and quiet enough ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Yeah, I suppose the writting could be better :) That also counts for me.

No I haven't tried all the stuff you mention. Why would I need to use other resistors between WM8804 and ES9023 ? I challenge you to back it up with measurements if you hear or see any difference in digital signals with the resistors.

Last edited:
Yeah, I suppose the writting could be better :)

No I haven't tried all the stuff you mention. Why would I need to use other resistors between WM8804 and ES9023 ? I challenge you to back it up with measurements if you hear or see any difference in digital signals with the resistors.

Ok, usefull to know. so no need of bigger resistor for reducing Johnson noise, or whatever...

Finally the only limiting factor here is the embeded oap in the dac ship, ah if they can product the same cheap dac chip without it !

Bigger resistor?... i think Sussumu is a good choice.
Next week i will try to do SUBBU DAC ULTIMA... I will take a week or 2 to try some more things... some new regulators for avcc...belleson clone 150mA class reg, tps7a...
Try to do some fotos of measurements...

Attachments

• res noise.jpg
    res noise.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 205