Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
There are exactly ? communist in the DIY audio

till said:
moderating system did not make anything better here - it only divided members in those normal ones - the undermembers - and members with special rights who are in possesion of the truth...

animal farm. remember the pigs.

in my opinion moderating system should be stopped.

Remembering the pigs:

Old Major: Old Major is the old pig whose visionary dream inspires the animals with their first concept of revolution. He may be compared to Karl Marx, whose ideologies and writings eventually led to the Communist Revolution.

Snowball: The brilliant, idealistic pig who, along with Napoleon, assumes a loose leadership at the beginning of the Revolution. His ideas are not always practical, but they are always grand and far-reaching. He is run off the farm by Napoleon and subsequently vilified by the common animals.

Napoleon: The aggressive, shrewd pig who, along with Snowball, becomes the early leader of Animal Farm. After he successfully eliminates Snowball, he gradually increases his personal power and privileges, while simultaneously tightening the control over the other animals. By seizing onto a populist revolution and turning it into his personal regime, he may be compared to his namesake, Napoleon Bonaparte of France.

Squealer: This young pig is the persuasive speaker who is the liaison to the common animals, always convincing them to accept Napoleon's latest infringements on their rights. In this role, he represents the propaganda machine of a totalitarian government.

so now the forum is likened to a totalitarian government.........

Having relatives that escaped from East Germany and some who lived under the Soviet rule, and knowing that my father had to sign an oath swearing no contact with them as a member of the US Air Force in the 1950s. I find your statement offensive even in the context of the ridiculous manner that you used it, in a crude attempt humor one can only hope. Oh and thanks for doing it so close to Memorial Day. Jocko would probably thank you too, but I believe he is visiting the traveling Vietnam Wall memorial to remember a few friends who's names are on it.

Attachments

• berlin_wall.jpg
    berlin_wall.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 300
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
There'll be pennies from heaven for you and me

Joel said:

Actually Peter, this is the very attitude I was referring to. Both your comments and Dave's above say the same thing - if we the mods don't like your point of view - if we perceive you as being "negative" in any way - we will move and/or remove your posts. Well, how do you determine where a genuine disagreement of ideas is "negative", or not so? It has seemed to me that your sole criteria is whether the person in question is part of your little club or not.

And it's real easy for Frank, Brett, and Eric to all say "stop whining", when they are all clearly in the "in" crowd and have all the leaway in the world for their responses.

Peter - yes, it says "for the fanatics". It does not say "for the anti-scientific, anti-mathmatics, anti-measurement, anti-fundamental, mystically inclined". Or maybe it should...

Fred - if I had a nickel for every unsubstantive post of yours, I could buy a gold plated chassis for my next 10 projects. Righteous indignation? Have you ever read your own posts??? :nod:

James, John, and even Frank - thank you for the positve comments.

Yep, smells like righteous indignation to me.............

And I would be the instigator or recipient?
Peter - yes, it says "for the fanatics". It does not say "for the anti-scientific, anti-mathmatics, anti-measurement, anti-fundamental, mystically inclined". Or maybe it should...

Which one of these am I in again? Oh, please stop hitting me over the head with that rubber chicken! It really hurts, honest!

Why do I have this image of a Nun trying to comment on the relative difficulty of each of the positions in the Kama Sutra?

Attachments

• thisoneseasy.jpg
    thisoneseasy.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 301
Fred, your posting is nothing more than ridicoulos, and
Oh and thanks for doing it so close to Memorial Day.
, hey what the hell is memorial day, some religious thing over there in the new world? Is this board in possesion of amerikan nationalists??? Fred, you without doubts are able to use google and are very good technical skilled. Please left the rest at home, like naive political expressions, all you precocious posting only intended to blame other members. A good advice, as it seems you need a friend who gives it to you, don´t behave as a smart alec every second posting.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
Memorial day

Some of us take it rather seriously, especially the sons and gransons of soldiers who risked their lives to straighten out results of sophisticated political thinking. For example the Germans about 60 years ago, and the Soviets for about 50 years after that. Maybe I'll ask Jocko what he thinks about it at lunch today. We are eating with a man that fled Cambodia and lost his parents to the Kamar Rouge, another group of political visionaries. Before you call me an American nationalist and speculate on my feelings about Germany, please realize that my family ties to Germany are recent enough that my father spoke German. My mother speaks a little too since we lived in Germany when I was an infant. BTW I was living in France when De Gaulle threw the US military out. I will tell my niece's husband he is an American imperialist when he returns from Iraq.

Who was it, by the way, that was comparing the moderation of this forum to Orwell's allegories about Totalitarism. Please forgive my political naivete and to express my pleasure that you live in a culture free enough that imagined censorship, on an internet forum about hobbies, is a politcal concern for you. I promise we, who realize what it cost, will raise a toast to your freedom at lunch today.

To freedom,

Fred

Attachments

• to_till's_freedom!.jpg
    to_till's_freedom!.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 262
diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
sometimes a tube is just a tube....

Joel said:
Fred, I'm sorry you enjoy choking the chicken while looking at photos of nuns, but we don't all need to know about it. Please seek professional help.
:dead:

The next time I need professional audio help, I will give you a call. A sense of humor concerning "audio experts" I think I can manage. I just wonder what a measurement oriented, scientific guy is playing with tubes for. I will resist the temptation to look at the subtext in your post and make the expected speculations about tubes as phallic symbols.........

Attachments

• freud.jpg
    freud.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 243
Herr Till.......

For the record:

My father was born (accidentally, it is claimed) in Italy. He had his knee shot up at Remagen. Excuse me if it is not spelled correctly. He died several years later, partly due to his experiences there.

A former business partner's mother was born in Koln, and was forced to learn Polish during the war.

So, while we may not speak your tongue as well as you do ours, we have a great deal of knolwedge as to how it came to pass that so much of the worlds population is free today.

I do not understand why that seems to bother so many people in your corner of the world. I thought we were supposed to be allies now.

Jocko

Sniping

leadbelly said:

snip...
Have you noticed how many times an original post is left responseless for quite a length of time, then some newbie ventures a response, and there's a flurry of borderline or outrightly rude responses shooting down his advice? Tell me how that is good for the overall well being?

This is a point I put to the moderators a few days ago.
I often see posts to fora left with no replies for some time.
When someone does eventually reply, using their best experience as source, another post follows within minutes rubbishing the previous reply, and giving opposite advice. In most cases both answers are technically correct, but the questioner is left confused, and might have not bothered to ask.

What is the forum's purpose? Is it to exchange information, or to boast and bully?

Fred, Jocko, i admire your technical knowledge, i belive you both contribute much more to the diy community than me. Don´t take it as an offence, please accept there are different and differentiated ways to see these political developents. A further diskussion about who is free in what meaning of free now, if countrys should celebrate victorys over other nations (and call them freed now) or if the losers of a war should celebrate the losing day because they are allowed to feel free now etc., if war is anything to celebrate.... has nothing to do with the threads name moderating. If anyone wants i will diskuss this, but not here. In my opinion it is better now to tolerate different world views and go on topic again. The best for you professional electronic designers is to go on with you X preamp, the best for me is to try to understand a little bit of that stuff.

On topic: totalitarism is not specific for communism, fascism, islamism. Something that is called democracy but has nothing to do with peoples reign is totalitarian as well. I see development in this dircetion by dividing in members and supermembers.

till
On topic: totalitarism is not specific for communism, fascism, islamism. Something that is called democracy but has nothing to do with peoples reign is totalitarian as well. I see development in this dircetion by dividing in members and supermembers.
This is quite poignant and very well said. I concur. The brick and mortar both find a use in each other :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

When someone does eventually reply, using their best experience as source, another post follows within minutes rubbishing the previous reply, and giving opposite advice. In most cases both answers are technically correct, but the questioner is left confused, and might have not bothered to ask.

Leadbelly, John,

You're absolutely correct.
I suppose other members notice it as well.It's oh sooo easy to misunderstand someone...you don't even have to try it happens naturally.

Q. is, what on earth can the moderators do about it?
Do we expect them to watch over everybody's shoulder? I, for one, surely wouldn't enjoy that.

The only thing we can do IMHO is to make sure we understand the threadstarters' q. correctly and to answer to the best of our knowledge.
That should make some people think twice before they jump down our throat...it seems there's a lot of little people out there, so, inevitably, there's always going to be at least someone that's going to try to stirr up a little fight.

Note also that they usually start the fight, get a lot of people involved and than they obviously just disappear....

Somehow this all reminds me of PMs' signature...;)

John, if I may ask, have you made any suggestion(s) to the moderator team?

Cheers,;)

Sniping

Frank,

John, if I may ask, have you made any suggestion(s) to the moderator team?
No, only whingeing moans so far ;)

Please don't missunderstand me: I believe there is usually more than one valid answer for any question. This is because the questions are not usually in scientific format, but human thought format.
For the questioner, it helps to see as many possibilities as possible. This gives differing angles, and helps understanding.
What I was protesting about was the sniping and rubbishing. But what can be done about that is very limited, except to note the characters who regularly do it, and complain.

Cheers,

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:Sniping.

Hi John,

Please don't missunderstand me: I believe there is usually more than one valid answer for any question. This is because the questions are not usually in scientific format, but human thought format.

I read you correctly...
It would also help a lot if the threadstarter formulated in a more precise manner what exactly is required.

It probably would limit the endless off topic meandering of a thread, not that that is necessarily a bad thing but in the end oyu usually can't see the forest for the trees.
Moreover, the original question remains unanswered or only partially answered.

Another phenomenon that I observed is that, quite often so, the threadstarter doesn't even participate in the topic at hand...leaving it to the wolves.
I find that rather spooky...are they afraid of us?:mafioso:

What I was protesting about was the sniping and rubbishing. But what can be done about that is very limited, except to note the characters who regularly do it, and complain.

Certainly.
It becomes a bit hard to do when you participate in several fora as we do and often the damage is done anyway...
Better than nothing, I 'spose.

Cheers,;)

Re: Re:Sniping.

fdegrove said:
Another phenomenon that I observed is that, quite often so, the threadstarter doesn't even participate in the topic at hand...leaving it to the wolves.
I find that rather spooky...are they afraid of us?:mafioso:
Spooky, not at all, but fully understandable. Most people haven't the energy to argue in eternity when nothing new is coming.

As a conclusion: Can't everybody be nice to each other. This thread is rather unnecessary I think.

I think it's good that we have an internal police here so troublemakers don't dare to make trouble.

Re: Re: Re:Sniping.

As a conclusion: Can't everybody be nice to each other. This thread is rather unnecessary I think.

I think it's good that we have an internal police here so troublemakers don't dare to make trouble. [/B][/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------

But this clearly doesn't happen. As this is going on, there are people with such egos that they feel they must treat others who are not electronics engineers as idiots. I am a professional mechanical engineer, and I don't treat those with less knowledge than I as inferior, especially in this kind of forum.

It is up to the moderators to tell rude posters to cease, or suspend them for a period.

Moderating is helpful for several reasons but the inconsistent application of the rules is fraught with many perils to both the membership and to the vitality of the board. Make your guidelines as consistent as possible so everyone will know the rules. No one will stop participating because they felt they were treated unfairly and the board will be a happier place.

Status
Not open for further replies.