Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred,

Your posts in this thread are nothing but feeble attempts to derail a perfectly valid discussion. You spout off about freedom, yet you don't want to allow this discussion to continue, or to participate in it.
Your type is exactly what John is referring to, I believe - people who particiapte in the forum solely for some kind of ego boost - almost always by demeaning other members. How many times have I seen you and a handfull of others post one word replies to posts - "clueless", etc.? Too many to count. What do these add to the forum, or to our collective knowledge?

I'd like the moderators to comment on your last 3 posts in this thread. Are these not "contributing negativity"??? All they say to me are "please please please pay attention to me, and validate that I'm really smart". Sad. :(

Joel, Put Up Or Shutup

nania said:
Moderating is helpful for several reasons but the inconsistent application of the rules is fraught with many perils to both the membership and to the vitality of the board. Make your guidelines as consistent as possible so everyone will know the rules. No one will stop participating because they felt they were treated unfairly and the board will be a happier place.
The main rule is that nobody be outright rude to other members, and Joel has crossed this line well and thoroughly.
On the other hand Phred is never directly rude.

Eric.

The World Is Full Of Legends In Their Own...

No I have not.
I have replied in kind, but disguised in erudite and witty form, but I have never been directly rude to anyone, in offense nor defense.
Go way back and check out what I put up with from the likes of Kilowatt and some other brash dis-respectful young redneck hick, but did not retaliate openly, and certainly not in their type of peurile manner.
I have used the term idiot, but never actually directed it.
Myself, Phred and quite a few others have admonished transgressors by using tact and informed language, but sadly the higher use of English escapes the less well endowed.
If you are to make issue with for instance Fred, you better get up pretty damm early, and even then his vocabulary, literary and technical knowlege and experience will likely soundly trounce yours and resoundingly so on many and diverse subjects.
Some people seem to get their nose out of whack because they did not like a two sentence consice answer to a question.
With sufficient depth of background knowledge on the part of the reader, these kinds of replies furnish and confer well ample explanation.
Refer to some of Jockos posts for more examples of this mode of effective communication.
Some of you younger guys seem to forget that you are dealing with much older folk who have been there and done that for a long time, and it is from these men that good information can be gleaned if the general mode is that of respect, and respect seems to be a custom that is no longer taught, and it shows.

So Joel, perhaps it is time to quit 'the legend in your own lunchtime' thing, and take a little heed, and do some more proper listening.
BTW - imo your profile page is conceited - why ?.

Bitch Slapping...

That is Jocko at his finest.

Nania, have you been smoking a gym sock, formerly owned by Carl Zappa, and still damp???? It sure seems that way.
Jocko is giving very strong hints of exasperation - not rude, just funny, and note the question tense.
You have no idea who I am, what I have designed, and for whom, and yet you make another factless assumption.
Quite correct.
All I have seen come from you this past week is a series of pointless charges, now directed at me too, that have no basis in truth.
A little more expression of exasperation.
So until you can get your facts straight:
Either contribute something cogent, or climb back under the rock form which you arose the other day.
He is saying 'say something sensible and stop revealling that your experience is limited', and stop wasting time and bandwidth.
I think you deserve Phred......he is from NYC too. I would have thought that being treated with disdain was second nature to you yankees.
Some kind of colloquial humour - you probably understand this better than I do.

Nania, neither Phred or Jocko are hard to get along with if you address them politely.
If you do this, you get to cadge all the knowlege that you could ever want, and everybody wins.

Eric / - Bitching about having to listen to bitching.

mrfeedback

LOL, your analysis was quite poignant. I should tell you that I made absolutely no reference at any time to JockoHomo's capabilities so his reply was a bit of a non-sequitor. Nonetheless, your post illustrates the latitude given to the certain members which is not available to others and that is the nature of the problem on this board and the reason why this thread stays active.

Nania has summed it up perfectly. That JockHomo post would have been moved to "texas" if it had been posted by others. And that one was relatively tame. There are many examples of much worse that have been allowed to remain.
Am I making a case for more moderation? NO. I am asking the moderators to commit to applying the same rules to EVERYBODY, whether they consider the poster a modern-day Dr. Johnson or not.

Re: The World Is Full Of Legends In Their Own...

Some of you younger guys seem to forget that you are dealing with much older folk who have been there and done that for a long time, and it is from these men that good information can be gleaned if the general mode is that of respect, and respect seems to be a custom that is no longer taught, and it shows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respect goes both way. Just because someone is older, and more bitter because of their own experiences and inability to deal with them, doesn't mean that they can be rude.

Just remeber that those who sell their expertise rely on this kind of forum for feedback and ideas. Cut them off, and they are poorer for it.

I am an older guy without an ego or personality problem, I hope.

nania said:
Nonetheless, your post illustrates the latitude given to the certain members which is not available to others and that is the nature of the problem on this board and the reason why this thread stays active.

Joel said:
Nania has summed it up perfectly. That JockHomo post would have been moved to "texas" if it had been posted by others. And that one was relatively tame. There are many examples of much worse that have been allowed to remain.
Am I making a case for more moderation? NO. I am asking the moderators to commit to applying the same rules to EVERYBODY

I spoke with Jocko on that and he explained me his reasons. In such case, when a member has the grounds to a rough response, I prefer not to interfere.

I was also asked by other mod to move "Fly me to the moon" thread to Texas, but because I felt it was rather important to Nania, I didn't do that yet. So we try to show the same latitude to all members. To keep the proper balance is not always easy and that's why we have this Moderating thread.

But whenever I see raw stupidity, or arguing without any grounds or for no particular reason, I'm always biased.;)

I hear the train a comin´it´s rolling round the bend

Joel said:
Fred,

Your posts in this thread are nothing but feeble attempts to derail a perfectly valid discussion. You spout off about freedom, yet you don't want to allow this discussion to continue, or to participate in it.
Your type is exactly what John is referring to, I believe - people who particiapte in the forum solely for some kind of ego boost - almost always by demeaning other members. How many times have I seen you and a handfull of others post one word replies to posts - "clueless", etc.? Too many to count. What do these add to the forum, or to our collective knowledge?

I'd like the moderators to comment on your last 3 posts in this thread. Are these not "contributing negativity"??? All they say to me are "please please please pay attention to me, and validate that I'm really smart". Sad. :(

I don't seem to remember derailing anything. Placing my two cents on the railroad track has never once sent the train of discourse plummeting into the abyss, to the peril of all those aboard. If my post are considered to dangerous to the public welfare and safety, I (unlike some others here) will gladly have them sent to Texas. Fitting since that where Jocko and I both live there, although at a safe distance from each other to protect the respective real estates markets, which wouldn't bear the combined effect. I think you will find my one word post very rare. I prefer to lampoon my victim with lengthy diatribes; often containing puns, sarcasm, links to websites, literary and pop culture allusions, and pictures. I am truly offended by being reduced to one who would give something with the intellectual poverty of one word of even something as stinging as "So.'s your old man!" You do me a great injustices sir. I find all this hand wringing quite funny having spent more time in the sin bin than the rest of the membership combined. I find that the thin skinned leave after the shortest visit there. Some with a such display of fireworks, speech making, ultimatums, and self pity that one would think they were being publicly executed for crimes they did not commit, I return this thread to the lofty heights of those who compare the moderators to barnyard animals and political thugs, something I am sure will win the hearts and minds of this dictatorial regime, and convert it to shining utopia of unlimited personal freedom that some of you envision as being within your grasp.

Well if they´d free me from this prison,
if that railroad train was mine
I bet I´d move just a little further down the line
far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay
and I´d let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away,

Fred

Attachments

• train%20wreck.jpg
    train%20wreck.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 237
Peter Daniel said:

I spoke with Jocko on that and he explained me his reasons. In such case, when a member has the grounds to a rough response, I prefer not to interfere.

I was also asked by other mod to move "Fly me to the moon" thread to Texas, but because I felt it was rather important to Nania, I didn't do that yet. So we try to show the same latitude to all members. To keep the proper balance is not always easy and that's why we have this Moderating thread.

But whenever I see raw stupidity, or arguing without any grounds or for no particular reason, I'm always biased.;)

Thinks for your admission of bias. In the case of he who you "felt it was rather important to" to who I will not give notoriety by naming, was that bias for the exclusion or INCLUSION of the attributes mentioned in the last sentence.

Respectfully,

Fred

Fred Dieckmann said:

Thinks for your admission of bias. In the case he who you "felt it was rather important to" who I will not give the notoriety by mentioning his name, was that bias for the exclusion or inclusion
of the attributes mentioned in the last sentence.

Respectfully,

Fred

He might be or might be not, but I felt that we should treat all members the same way.

Oh..................

Have the personal attacks and Malicious intent parts been dropped from the the first forum rule? Do I have to spend the adressing every malicious accusation made in detail. Never with the acknowledgement that it was false or so hopelessly confused
that it bore little resemblence to what I said. These have been restated with the clear intent of provocation and libel after repeated attempt to straighten him out in some detail and givening him the option to say he misunderstood. Does my familiarty with the sin bin now allow me the status of being my own moderator in cases like these? Has criticism over too much moderation now caused the moderators to fear to do their jobs even in clear cases of violation of the rule below:

1) No personal attacks or bullying. If you disagree with what someone is saying, then present a mature and intelligent case to prove otherwise. Malicious intent will not be tolerated. What you do over private email is one thing, what you do on our forum is another.

I have tried (as well as others) in this matter to adress this offline to avoid the public bickering that Jason was told me he finds annoying. Perhaps some moderators with thick skin and no desire to be loved by all are needed. Do I have to apply for the position of moderator to get any results. The problem is not to much moderation but not enough. Or perhaps you also are waiting for an op amp preamp design from me as payment for the harrasment to stop as demanded by the member that you want to treat so fairly. Perhaps till's reference to Orwell is more appropriat than I thought.

Some Animals are Created More Equal Than Others

What exactly am I am missing in this case? I don't understand it at all. The same behaviour from me would warrent a one week stay in the sin bin that I would not even pretend to protest as just action by the moderators.

Second class citizen,
Fred

Peter Daniel
I was also asked by other mod to move "Fly me to the moon" thread to Texas, but because I felt it was rather important to Nania, I didn't do that yet.
Nor should you have moved its entirety to Texas because there was and still is a pretty good potential project outlined in there but I could have lived with the threads calling me an idiot being put there :)
Seeing that I only responded to JockoHomo after being called an idiot, and since his reply was an insult with no basis in fact, I would like to know the logic of this decision. It should be very interesting :)

Fred Dieckmann

I never thought that I could really hurt your feelings in a million years of pelting you with my rubber chickens (still smiling about that one) but it seems that I have and for that I am truly sorry. You know I would benefit and indeed already have benefitted from reading your posts but you don't play nice. Your "Narnia" joke had a condescending tone and the connotation that you were speaking to a child. Whether you were diabolically clever enough to construct it that way or not, I don't know but it was a snipe with no premise and I responded. If you reread my posts you will note that I never lost the underlying respect for what you know and I never claimed to know more than either you or Jocko about electronic circuit designs so why hold a grudge? Peter had emailed me privately about you in order to help me appreciate your...er... way but he told me nothing I didn't already understand about you. On the whole your passion for excellence in audio gear is vital to this forum as is your eccentric way of exposing pitfalls and people who may lead us into them but your condescension is not. I had hoped to make you understand that in the same playful way you are accustomed to but you were apparently offended. That said, I doubt the integrated that I suggested in that thread could be as good as we could make it without your (and Jocko's) critical eye. BTW, if you did live in the NYC area you could have been treated to really fun night out :)

Jeez! I just read his last post! I sure wish I had got mine in first. It might have made my next reply unnecessary :)

Status
Not open for further replies.