Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cover up for friends/colleagues

Brett said:
Why?
If you feel something was done incorrectly then you should say it clearly, whether it was another moderator or not. In fact a good case can be made for making a comment, <b>especially</b> if another moderator was in error. If it's perceived that you all stick together and watch each other's backs, even at the expense of the forum, which is certainly how it looks at the moment, how can members have any faith in your decisions?
This is the basis of corrupt behaviour.
This is a behavior that is found among humans.
The closer a person is to us, the more we overlook with a doubtful behavior.
A sort of stick together in all weathers.

For example I have a very prounanced tendency to put a much smaller importance, to the wrong about something I myself have done,
than if another person have done the same thing.

Then comes my blood relatives.
Mothers and fathers can see through the fingers with much more regarding their own chidrens way to act,
than with those other moms and dads children.

Next are those we are attached to in work or daily activity.
And friends.

This has to do with my identification, those I feel I am being a part of, or those who I think are feeling being a part of myself.

This has very much to do with human being a group-living individual.
What is good for group is good for the individual groupmember.

We can say that what is good for the police force is good for society,
as the police should serve the society.
Policeforce members or the teachers at University or members within a Labour Uninon, they all stick together through thick and thin. Because to split the group could weakening the group,seen from the outside gruops perspective.

On the other hand we have the no-sayers. These can be person, for whom the group pressure means less, than what tey feel can be accepted.
They can be persons of great integrity, or just very selfish people that always should have their way.

We all know what groupmentality can do to an employee, if the boss have another meaning than the complainter.

At the same time, rules is an agreement set within a group.
When there is a border line case, your action is determined
by what caracter you are, your degree of integrity or solidarity to them, who you identificate with.
"Your group" have the most influence upon you.

I myself is very much a solitaire. I make up my own decisions.
I try to act upon my beliefs.
But I am not so very egoistic, that I lack ability to put MY SELF aside, for other humans good.
In that way I can seem to be human,
although I am not human in the sense of beeing a typical social groupmember. That can let the gruops will rule over my own mind.

I have to be loyal first to MY SELF,
but that loyality is not that important,
that I am unable to try and understand OTHER SELVES.
Because we all are a group, OTHER SELVES and MY SELF is a part of EACHOTHER.

You can call it like someone did:
Although being different parts of "the body" you still all together form "a greater body".
In a body all parts have same importance.

To sum it up:
No person is another like.
We are all human.
And all the same. :confused:

SOME ANIMALS - I really say

till said:
ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS”
(Animal Farm, by George Orwell)

(the moderated situation)
That's right.
We are all branches of the tree we call LIFE.
Genetically all living creatures are one.
The source of life is but one.

To disrespect or deny a part of yourself,
might be a plant or an animal,
is SELFDENIAIL and SELFBETRAYAL.

To exTERMINATE is in a way to kill yourself.
A way to end LIFE.
LIFE is a Macro Organism.

The tree of life, the spring of life.
They are all written in the "BOOK of LIFE".

:angel: CREED ENCE CLEAR WATER REVIVAL
Let the midnight special shine a light on me
Let the midnight special shine a everlovin' light on me
:angel:
:cool: :cool: Down On The Corner cool

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Someone made a suggestion about voting people in and out, and I feel that is a mistake too as then it could simply be a personality issue, with people voting say you (PD) in because of your great contributions in audio, and not for your performance as a moderator.
Hi Brett, You misunderstood me, WE should not vote in moderators, exactly for the reasons you stated. The appointment of moderators should be totaly up to Jason. But rather than remove all moderators at the end of a fixed term, the community should be able to censor those who were not doing a good job. That way we keep the skills of those moderators who we respect, yet can remove ones who are doing a bad job.

To prevent any negative effects, no posts should be allowed on the voting, this could cause raised tempers and bad feelings, just a plain and simple private ballot should be sufficient, with each member making up their own mind. Voting should also only be allowed for members with a couple of months membership, to prevent vote rigging.

However, whatever happens, Jason and the rest of the moderators will have my full support, this is still by far the best forum for DIY audio on the net, and I hope it will stay this way.

Re: Cover up for friends/colleagues

halojoy said:

This is a behavior that is found among humans.
The closer a person is to us, the more we overlook with a doubtful behavior.
A sort of stick together in all weathers.
Sure what you are describing is standard operating proceedure in blood or close friendship situations. When not blood or kin, behaviour I've described is corrupt.

Moderators <i>serve</i> the forum <i>members</i> and I hardly see a bond between them so strong that they think they're family.

However I understand the loyalty you are showing to your friend in attempting some damage control.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=92472#post92472

moderation is lame.

that should turn some heads.

i'm not necessarily against moderation, but what the hell is going on around here? everytime i leave the site for a few weeks to take a break from audio, then come back, everything seems normal. until i notice some of the usuals are MIA. then i see some odd comment about someone somewhere, which leads me to some silly "venting" or whatever thread about how so-and-so is banned or so-and-so is leaving etc. etc.

there was the HarryHaller multiple identity mess, which i admit was legitimate, though i think a lot of people overreacted. i'm still confused about what happened exactly. is Fred Dieckmann the old Harry? pardon my ignorance, but i just wanted to get that straight. anyway, Harry rubbed me the wrong way on a few occassions, but i still respected his opinion very much and was disappointed when i saw him banned. Fred (Harry?) rubs me the wrong way sometimes too but it's all good; thankfully he's been able to stay out of trouble. anyway, i respect everyone's opinion and knowledge and welcome their comments. with very few exceptions, i think everyone has something to contribute.

what is this whole Bernhard/Frank mess? i personally respected and liked both of them very much. yes they could be very opinionated but who cares! a person without an opinion has nothing interesting to say. it's upsetting to see people leaving, being banned, disabled, etc. etc. when they have been such valuable members of the community.

it's been said the Internet is the ultimate democracy. i don't know how valid that statement is, but if anything i used to feel DIYAudio.com was a shining example of that. it's still a great place, but we seem to be losing something with all these moderation issues and petty squabbles. i think the moderators here are very good, especially compared to other sites i've been to, but sometimes people get too heavy a hand in things and start mucking up the flow of ideas by developing petty personal grudges. it's infantile if you ask me. i think moderators should keep as much of a "hands-off" approach to things as possible. it's too easy to get sucked into the heat of a debate, so it takes great discipline to stay fair.

there's no point to this ramble really, i'm just venting some frustration. there were some other people in absentia and i can't remember who they were, but i think it's lame.

respectfully,
dorkus

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
BLURRED IMAGE.....

Hi,

Bob4,

Did you many the pictures or Phred himself??

All,

Thanks to all moderators and all the hard work they have done to make the best Audioforum even better.
Congratulations to Planet10 for his nomination as teamleader and my personal thank you to all involved.

Ciao,;)

moderation starts at home

I'm posting the forum rules for the Moderators to read, since they seem to forget them more than any other members.
I'd also like to add that selective moderation is worse than no moderation at all. The mods in question know what I'm talking about.

FORUM RULES

1) No personal attacks or bullying. If you disagree with what someone is saying, then present a mature and intelligent case to prove otherwise. Malicious intent will not be tolerated. What you do over private email is one thing, what you do on our forum is another.

2) No offensive language. Sure, most of us use four letter words in normal conversation without too much thinking, but this forum is about thinking. Words are the clothes in which thought is dressed. And luckily, these threads are cheap (pun intended) so please choose language that reflects the quality of your ideas.

3) No threadjacking. Threadjacking is the practise of stealing another's thread by posting off-topic replies such that the original topic becomes diluted or lost. Off-topic posts, and even more importantly replies to off-topic posts, are welcome, but should also address the original thread topic.

Some of the greatest discussions have come as a result of off-topic replies. If something interesting does arise that warrants further discussion then continue your discussion privately over email, or even better start a new thread and link to it. This rule will of course be used with discretion.

4) No posting of safety endangering information without an accompanying safety-warning message that adequately explains the risks

5) Usage of multiple registrations for the same person and/or same internet access account is not permitted without prior approval of the site, and may result in a permanent ban of the individual and/or account holder.

Violation of forum rules will result in users having their accounts suspended and/or terminated, at the discretion of the moderators.

These 5 rules will be enforced in good faith to keep the discussion quality level and the level of peer respect, high.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: moderation starts at home

Joel said:
I'm posting the forum rules for the Moderators to read, since they seem to forget them more than any other members.
I'd also like to add that selective moderation is worse than no moderation at all. The mods in question know what I'm talking about.
.[/I]

Any links to what is upsetting you would be helpful.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: moderation starts at home

pinkmouse said:
Any links to what is upsetting you would be helpful.

I believe Joel is referring to ths post by fdegrove where Frank takes a -- very diplomatic IMO -- poke at Joel for his attitude towards subtle things that Joel does not believe (or to his ears) do not make a sonic difference. In this case the prime directive "projects by the fanatics for the fanatics" takes precedence.

I would welcome comments from the membership on the above post. It was discussed in the mod forum and it was decided that it could be left to stand.

dave

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:Re: Re: moderation starts at home

Hi,

The header of the post is rather ironic, I'd say?

Cheers,

Attachments

• clever_3.gif
    clever_3.gif
    63.8 KB · Views: 342
Status
Not open for further replies.