Mini LM1875 design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Bottom of LM1875 board.

Attachments

• dsc00490edit.jpg
    dsc00490edit.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,246
Hi Brian!

For my lm1875, I'm currently enjoying this: http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Small/928-8566.jpg (20, 0, 20 ac and freakin' huge), plus 4700uF per rail and a discrete Motorola MR rectifier. For reference: I do have 8 ohm speakers and big heatsinks.

But, I was thinking of "shrinking" the rather massive power supply down to size.

Would a 10 amper KBU1004 mini-rectifier and 4 of 10nF caps, be a good place to start? The caps across each diode can lower the peak voltage a bit, and then. . . What about the 21 -0- 21 toroid for $12 on this page? http://www.apexjr.com/miscellaneous.html

Hey, that's just a comparison and some ideas that I'm pursuing. Any suggestions?

BWRX Whatever happened to this project? It looked very interesting to me. How did it sound? Did you ever get more than the prototype boards produced? Seems like you went through a lot of work and got it prototyped and then nothing more was said about it, unless perhaps it moved to a new thread and I can't find it?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The amps work well and sound nice too. If you have sensitive speakers or a small listening space they would be just fine. I have a bunch of other amps (LM3875s, tripath based, ucd based) but have been using a TA2021B based class d amp for a while because it is efficient and sounds fine with my speakers in a small listening space. That and motorcycling has drained a lot of the hobby funds over the past couple years ;)

I have a bunch of other amps (LM3875s, tripath based, ucd based) but have been using a TA2021B based class d amp for a while because it is efficient and sounds fine with my speakers in a small listening space.

Thanks for this info! I was unaware there were single chip class D amplifiers! your response sent me on a whole big class D single chip amp research adventure! It seems tripath isn't around anymore? I guess there are still chips floating around, but I think I'm going to try TI's TPA3122D2 20pin DIP for my small amplifier project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.