Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hi X,

I was originally planning to build a Karlson .40x for the TG9, I asked about it here before because I like the "retro" look of the Karlsons but unfortunately the driver isn't available locally and if I get them abroad the shipping cost is more than the drivers itself and we've been having issues with delays in customs :(

On the other hand, the 10F is available locally so I can now proceed with my desktop project. Looks like a TL box is the way to go for me. Thanks!

The 10F/8424 is a reference quality driver that has about as flat a response as imaginable. By putting it in a karlsonator, you will be compromising its "reference flat" response. There are other drivers that will give you better performance in a small Karlsonator for much less. Equivalent and great sounding would be the Faital Pro 3FE22 or 3FE25, Dayton RS100-4, or Vifa TC9FD or TG9FD. The closest to the 10F would be the $22 TG9FD.

For that - make the 0.40x Karsonator - plans linked in post 1.

I'd probably go for a TL for the 10F. You're not going to get a ton of bass out of it, but TL more than anything make for really nice mids. Classic 1/4 of Fs tuning would be 33.5" line length. Sim first. (Actually I'd probably put them in a mini TL and use them as 'mids' in a 3 way with a big woofer and TP crossover, but that's another story and different forum)

Then again the top octave of a 10f is pretty directional, and a Karlsonator will help with that. It'd be hard to say what's really better without building both.

Last edited:
I think I will build myself some FE-103 K'nators! 13in tall x 8.38in wide x 7.16in deep - a pretty compact bookshelf speaker size. 90dB and -3dB at 61Hz is not too bad.

Sounds like fun! The old RS OEM FE103 should be drop ins. I miss those cheap drivers - once available in every strip mall.

Those FE103SOL are very tempting, but I have entirely too many drivers already.

I'm sure you saw this, but just to be double sure, those are the inside dimensions. I drafted it with 3/8" material, but didn't specify or note O.D. since people are going to build it with what they want anyway...

Scale height and depth by 0.44x and width by 0.55x (kind of squat lookking) but gets a solid 89dB sensitivity for bass with f3 of 61Hz. No BSC needed.

A standard 0.53x can work but will be closer to 87dB overall with a droop and f3 of 55Hz.

Here is 0.44x x 0.55x wide:

504361d1442408160-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-knator-fe103sol-freq-1m.png

Hello. Thanks for all . I am interested by Karlson speaker without ever make one. I am impressed with the simulation! How such a small box can lower it as a such low frequency this small speaker?
I do not understand the 0.53x, what does it mean? It's about the proportions of the dimensions?
Furthermore I just receive FE103sol I ordered. I think this is the best 10cm I've heard with the fe108 ez, I am impressed by the sound produced by this small speaker in my Suzy. When I see the simulation of Karlson, there really makes me want!

Last edited:
Hello. Thanks for all . I am interested by Karlson speaker without ever make one. I am impressed with the simulation! How such a small box can lower it as a such low frequency this small speaker?

The Karlsonator is a sort of a TQWT with some front loading via a slotted bandpass chamber which is also the terminus for the pipe. If you read the whole thread you will learn more. :D The karlsonator is not a karlson, but a derivative meant to work better with modern drivers. The original Karlson designed by John Karlson has a different rear loading, and works best in larger sizes as originally designed.

I do not understand the 0.53x, what does it mean? It's about the proportions of the dimensions?

Yes, by .53x we mean scaled proportionally to 53% of the dimensions of the Karlsonator plans designed for a 12" driver.

Karlsonator.png

If you scroll back a page in this discussion you will see that I just drafted plans for the FE103SOL based on xrk's suggested proportions from the sim.

download here

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am impressed with the simulation! How such a small box can lower it as a such low frequency this small speaker?

This is the beauty of the K'nator - it makes some wondferful rich bass, and seems to have less baffle step loss than any other similarly sized speaker that I know of. It may account for this thread's popularity and so many happy successful builds.

How does it work so well? GregB's original design is genius mostly, I just model and provide scaling dimensions. :)

I think a mass loaded tapered quarter wave tube (ML-TQWT) in general, achieves low bass for its size because of the mass loading. It is folded so the length of the line is longer than you think. In the case of the FE103SOl's 0.44x, it is about 26in long - just barely enough for true 1/4 action to work. The SPL efficiency comes from the fact that the K-aperture takes that bass and routes it so that the front radiation from the cone and the back radiation from the TL are more or less coaxial through the K-aperture which then keeps the directionality of the sound coming out the front with a uniform 90 deg polar pattern. This uniformity also makes is sound bigger than it is. It is a relatively simple speaker to make with just 5 segments internal to a rectangular box. Don't get all caught up in the exact dimensions. Within 5mm and it works fine, you can adjust it to make easy to read dimensions.

Here is the new plan that GregB made for the FE103SOL:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1005...6195254979670171890&oid=100545049816297868412

Last edited:
The Karlsonator is a sort of a TQWT with some front loading via a slotted bandpass chamber which is also the terminus for the pipe. If you read the whole thread you will learn more. :D The karlsonator is not a karlson, but a derivative meant to work better with modern drivers. The original Karlson designed by John Karlson has a different rear loading, and works best in larger sizes as originally designed.

Yes, by .53x we mean scaled proportionally to 53% of the dimensions of the Karlsonator plans designed for a 12" driver.

Karlsonator.png

If you scroll back a page in this discussion you will see that I just drafted plans for the FE103SOL based on xrk's suggested proportions from the sim.

download here

Many thank !!

I am determined to make a pair. You convinced me. I want to make it with wood. How thick to use, especially for the interior?

... The SPL efficiency comes from the fact that the K-aperture takes that bass and routes it so that the front radiation from the cone and the back radiation from the TL are more or less coaxial through the K-aperture which then keeps the directionality of the sound coming out the front with a uniform 90 deg polar pattern. This uniformity also makes is sound bigger than it is...

Thank you for all these explanations.
As I understand it, this design gives an overhang in low frequency.I am going to launch myself into the realization. The fact that the oblique position of driver allows to put them on the floor?
It does not need to heighten them with a stand?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The sims actually assume floor standing but no back wall. If you were to stand mount them away from a back wall in 4pi space, expect -3dB drop in bass. If you stand mount them or put on a shelf against a wall, then bass will be same.

I think for this size box with relatively small 4in 6 watt FE103SOL driver - 3/8in or 0.375in thick can work. 12mm or 1/2in definitely works but is overkill. I make out of 0.1875in foam core with bracing and doubled up foam on front and K-aperture and it works fine.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Xrk971-

My son and niece love their .40s with TC9FD drivers (see post #1454). I happen to have several RS 1147 FE 103s, as well as a few loose Fostex FE 103Es. Is the .53 box suitable for those?

Look a few posts up for the FE103SOL plans. They work for FE103 or RS 40-1197 (FE103). In fact, I am about to build it for my RS 1197's. It's 0.44x in height and depth and 0.55x in width. GregB just drew up new plans. Glad those 0.40x are working out well. Everyone loves these for gifts - they are small enough to use anywhere and easy enough to make yet still special to receive. You will be hard pressed to find a similarly sized commercial speaker of about the same size with the as a full rich sound.

Last edited: