Mid-bass horn (easy to build)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Carpenter. Would 10-12ft be sufficient or do you start to loose the benifit of the horn and move into direct radiated sound only if you get too close?

That will work just fine. You don't have to turn up the volume as much... ;)

I've been listening to the commercial spiral bass horns (I'm currently fabricating a pair) at three feet distance and can easily appreciate the qualities they offer. I say: go for it!

Let me get this right? To have a stereo spiral bass horn, which one should because 200Hz is almost midrange. Two horns on each side, so four Radian Neo 1226 for 4x$800=$3200, and 1000kg of building material to make four spiral horns? That's Commitment! One day, perhaps...

I am also curious about the 8" horn. But I will not use it unless I have working bass horns, because I can't cross 25-80Hz subwoofer, 80-200Hz midbass horn, and 200-500Hz Fane S 8M, plus all the compression drivers. 80-200Hz will just sound like a blob, and I don't have that many amps anyway. :)

I use 1st order passive XO for my smaller horns, with okay results. :) I will do it properly the day I can afford five high quality tube amps with 45 tubes.

If you like Minidsp you will love FIR. Some bass horn builders in Sweden have begun using it. It is supposed to be even more advanced and difficult to set up. FIR vs IIR filtering

Then I may end up with modifying a highpass by swapping some components in the tube amp, if I ever figure it out. Or use a smaller output transformer which will not have much bass. Or make a PLLXO, but then I have to be careful to match the impedances at line-level.

One more thing: you can use your current bass setup, just begin adding the spiral horn segments as you are able. You'll see an immediate difference in snap and bass quality.

Okay. I did start at your bass horn for the Lab12 that looked much like a labhorn. But I went for a regular sub to see if it would be good enough. Then I noticed the dull upper midbass of the Lab12 and your "labhorn" was put on permanent ice. Also, I read that people with labhorns say you need many labhorns, not just one or two. Probably because the bass is more concentrated in one direction.

I could use the basshorn for music and use the lab12 subwoofer for a future HT system. For some reason movies don't work so great with horns. I guess cheezy low resolution sound effect have no place in horns. You really become picky with your material. I can hear if someone drops a pin in a scene. And the actors are not in front of me, they are almost talking inside my head.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
One thing that I would like to try is to use a PPSL for sub duties combined with the 135hz and paper horn. It would take a lot less space than the monster spiral horns and the listening distance would be based on the 135hz horn as I think the PPSl is non-directional ( I may be wrong). The PPSL should have no problem getting to 135hz. DJK has lots of info and there are many threads here and elsewhere about the PPSL. A google search will give lots of hits for PPSL

Okay. I did start at your bass horn for the Lab12 that looked much like a labhorn. But I went for a regular sub to see if it would be good enough. Then I noticed the dull upper midbass of the Lab12 and your "labhorn" was put on permanent ice. Also, I read that people with labhorns say you need many labhorns, not just one or two. Probably because the bass is more concentrated in one direction.

I could use the basshorn for music and use the lab12 subwoofer for a future HT system. For some reason movies don't work so great with horns. I guess cheezy low resolution sound effect have no place in horns. You really become picky with your material. I can hear if someone drops a pin in a scene. And the actors are not in front of me, they are almost talking inside my head.

If you only started the 35hz folded bass horn project, but didn't compete it, how can you truly understand what you have to work with? The 35hz folded horn is a fantastic/powerful little beast. It's quite impressive! It doesn't do the first octave nearly as well as the spiral bass horn, but what it does, it does extremely well. I only have one on hand and it behaves as the graph on the website depicts.

I use my bass horns when I'm watching TV, or video, and have no qualms. Perhaps our systems are set up differently... the main thing is to not have the bass turned up too high or the special effects take over.

One thing that I would like to try is to use a PPSL for sub duties combined with the 135hz and paper horn. It would take a lot less space than the monster spiral horns and the listening distance would be based on the 135hz horn as I think the PPSl is non-directional ( I may be wrong). The PPSL should have no problem getting to 135hz. DJK has lots of info and there are many threads here and elsewhere about the PPSL. A google search will give lots of hits for PPSL

I looked up and took a peak at the PPSL and couldn't understand how a slot can be called a horn. Perhaps the slot is corner loaded?

If space is a concern, fabricate a nice little tapped horn. Perhaps you can use a smaller driver so that you can get some top end extension.

Home from work with more time to explore. I see: PPSLs are not horns at all...:D

Joined 2008
Paid Member
ppsl

Here's an example of a ppsl.

Attachments

• ppsl with Jensen 002.jpg
    ppsl with Jensen 002.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 471
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.