Mid-bass horn (easy to build)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interesting build. I'm planning on building my unity horn system into corner soffits. Was going to go with sealed for the 15" midbass, but this thread has me thinking. I don't want to extend out too far from the corner. If the bass horn is mounted in a corner soffit, how much shorter can I make it and still get reasonable extension to mate with subs? It it promising enough to learn the modeling program, and can I incorporate the corner loading into the program?

Sheldon

This is a sim of the 80Hz adapted to EVM-15L.

Attachments

• EVM15L.PNG
    EVM15L.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 904
Unfortunately the 2226 is not suitable for horns. If you anyway insist using them, use only one in each horn. But all virtues of Carpenters horn will anyway be lost. To check, take a few hours to learn Hornresp.

Are you saying the 2226s are not suitable at all for any horn design?

I tried Hornresp for a small amount of time. Im better off hoping someone else will have a design for me.

Sorry for the OT!
Did a quickie on the 2226 as Hypex basshorn. A 35Hz/T=0,6 looks good. Can give it a little more time. If mono is acceptable one could also run them as a pair and give you a shorter horn. Doug, please start another thread if you want to continue.

Attachments

• 2226parallell.png
    2226parallell.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
Interesting build. I'm planning on building my unity horn system into corner soffits. Was going to go with sealed for the 15" midbass, but this thread has me thinking. I don't want to extend out too far from the corner. If the bass horn is mounted in a corner soffit, how much shorter can I make it and still get reasonable extension to mate with subs? It it promising enough to learn the modeling program, and can I incorporate the corner loading into the program?

Sheldon

The modeling program tends to bring out the "anal response", so beware.

Unfortunately the 2240 is obsolete although they pop up on epay. Carpenters mentioned the 18PS76 but I notice its T/S aren't really that close. I haven't put the numbers into Hornresp to see how it'd differ.

The B&C 18PS76 is very affordable, that's why I bring it up, and it has favorable qualities. It's not as wide ranged as the JBL 2240, but is readily available.

Attachments

• JBL 2240 vs B&C 18PS76.PNG
    JBL 2240 vs B&C 18PS76.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 982
Earlier said the 2226 wasn´t suitable for midbass work. After simming the 35Hz I gave them a new try. Doesn´t work as a single but with two. Still can not recommend it. This as part of the sound of the original 18" will be the important factor of singlepoint direct-radiation.

John,
This is the script of the 35Hz. Place it in Hornresp/Import and open it. I do not use Hornresp for designing the horns. Instead I use my own Hypop spreadsheet for proper anulling. As Hornresp, the spreadsheet is based solely on Marshall Leach AES-paper. Using it gives you full control of all parameters.

Attachments

• 2226.txt
    392 bytes · Views: 101
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.