Michelson and Morley proved Einstein was wrong

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's quantum mechanics experiment, not Einstein Relativity as you know.

Yep. Its really a thought experiment.

You are going to tell me that also quantum m. is wrong?

'Wrong' would be a misnomer - its a model after all, not an exam answer. Is the Ebers-Moll model of the transistor 'wrong'? Within certain bounds, QM works extremely well. But as a model of reality, its obviously incomplete and inconsistent.

So far, yes. That's why your computer works.

So, you will be very surprised to see results of experiments where generator of random numbers was affected by thoughts of people in well controlled scientifically valid double blind experiments.

I myself had once a strange case when satellite connection between offices did not work. Everything was fine: both routers, routing tables, interfaces, software, OSes, on all physical and logical layers everything was absolutely fine, but IP packets between applications did not go through. It suddenly started working fine as soon as I canceled tooth doctor appointment. The problem never reappeared since then. I always thought it was a strange coincidence, but that experiments with random number generator made me thinking of possibility to reconsider my conclusion...

So, you will be very surprised to see results of experiments where generator of random numbers was affected by thoughts of people in well controlled scientifically valid double blind experiments.

I believe he probably won't see those as his favourite armchair philosopher has dissed the book:D

I always thought it was a strange coincidence, but that experiments with random number generator made me thinking of possibility to reconsider my conclusion...

The differences reported by Radin are statistical ones, very very small deviations from pure randomness over many many spins of the coin. I think here its an example of magical thinking on your part:D

I myself had once a strange case when satellite connection between offices did not work. Everything was fine: both routers, routing tables, interfaces, software, OSes, on all physical and logical layers everything was absolutely fine, but IP packets between applications did not go through. It suddenly started working fine as soon as I canceled tooth doctor appointment. The problem never reappeared since then. I always thought it was a strange coincidence, but that experiments with random number generator made me thinking of possibility to reconsider my conclusion...

Is this a joke? Because that is one of the silliest things I have heard. (Apart from a few other posts in this very topic of course).

This way of thinking is a logic fallacy.
"A occurred before B, so A must cause B".

In your case cancelling the appointment is A, and fixing the connection is B.

Correlation is not causation. Especially because this was an isolated incident.
If you were to have problems every day and they would stop every time you cancelled a dentist's appointment, then sure, there is a correlation. (Even then it's still not causation).

It's much, much, MUCH more likely that some other event occurred at roughly the same time as your cancelling of your appointment that did cause the connection to work again.

If this was a joke then sorry for getting so serious about it.
Correlation does not imply causation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also this topic is full of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Oh, I have to admit, it was a half of the story. The whole story was, the problem with the network started as soon as I was ready to go to the appointment. And stopped exactly when I canceled the appointment.

I believe I am not completely dumb and know that coincidences happen, and if A occurred before B it may not be the cause. For example, both A and B were caused by C. ;)

I believe I am not completely dumb and know that coincidences happen, and if A occurred before B it may not be the cause. For example, both A and B were caused by C. ;)
I didn't mean to offend you, it just seemed like an obvious coincidence and judging from your posts you indeed do not strike me as a dumb person, so it was hard for me to imagine that you would believe in those two events correlating without more evidence. I'm sure you understand. :)

I didn't mean to offend you, it just seemed like an obvious coincidence and judging from your posts you indeed do not strike me as a dumb person, so it was hard for me to imagine that you would believe in those two events correlating without more evidence. I'm sure you understand. :)

This is my point! I did not believe that those two events correlated, but results of experiments with random number generators force me to think that I could be wrong, and some correlation does exist! ;)

but results of experiments with random number generators force me to think that I could be wrong, and some correlation does exist!

AFAI have followed those "experiments" none of them were repeatable by unbiased skeptical observers, and those conducting the experiments were usually biased in favour of a positive outcome of those tests.
There is no evidence for any of those tests being anything but made up or the result of incompetence in statistical analysis or the result of biased interpretation of such statistics, results that ususally evaporated into very thin air when investigated further.

Who is still talking about the

If you want to believe - that is your prerogative, but don't tell me there is evidence. It just doesn't exist except in the minds of those who think the materialistic world view is not enough for them, and there must be hidden mysteries - they are there, but not in the mystic realm of the PARANORMAL they are looking into. It just ain't there. And Persinger's investigations ( http://142.51.14.1/Laurentian/Home/...nger/M.A.+Persinger.htm?Laurentian_Lang=en-CA ) should put a damper on much of those claims.
There is enough in chemistry/biology/physics/astronomy/cosmology we don't know - introducing spiritual rubbish or claims of supernatural phenomena is just a diversion.
Never any proof that stood up to serious scrutiny.

Remember the teapot.

Last edited:
If it is a bias, it is one to prevent you from being sucked in to all kinds of irrational crap and accepting claims without substantial, testable and repeatable evidence.

However - to call the skeptical stance bias is the same stupid argument calling atheism a religion.
Skepticism means one thing only - show me your evidence or shut up.

Last edited:
If it is a bias, it is one to prevent you from being sucked in to all kinds of irrational crap and accepting claims without substantial, testable and repeatable evidence.

However - to call the skeptical stance bias is the same stupid argument calling atheism a religion.
Skepticism means one thing only - show me your evidence or shut up.

It is obvious that negative influence of thoughts on study of positive influence of thoughts would give corresponding results! ;)

By the way, why do you think that atheism is the best religion among other religions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.