mechanical resonance in MMs

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Congrats Bill! Now you won't get any sleep at all. :D

George. FLAC is similar to ZIP, just optimized for audio, so you get a little tighter pack. Completely lossless, bit perfect. I converted 1 of your files to FLAC and it was about 1/2 the wave size. ZIP was slightly over 1/2. If you zip each file, then all of them would fit in your dropbox. Do them individually, or maybe 2 or 3 in a group. That keeps the download file size reasonable. No need to put them all in the same zip archive, that would be a BIG file.

In Windows you can normally just right click a file (or multiple files) to send to ZIP. Easy on the Mac, too. No need to worry about loss, both ZIP and FLAC are lossless.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I was thinking the same.
21 and 24 years ago.

True! It takes courage to raise a child after some age but how much differently would I've behaved as a parent if I knew then what I know now ( what it means to be a parent)

I think Bill is the toughest guy here and the luckiest one !

George

So, if anyone is interested on this x150 plays test, please download these 90 wav files. After about 36 hours there will be replaced by the rest of the test files.

George
Thank you for doing this George: it's priceless and so well done. I've successfully downloaded the first 90 files, they look good and couldn't resist a sneak peak......! looking forward to the next set and details of the test regime in due course.

LD

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've looked at the 2nd and the 90th play and done some analysis. I've looked only at the 1K tone and the 5K tone. The recordings were surprisingly low in volume, they had to be amplified by 36dB to get good levels. That done, I ran a spectrum in them at 32K points, Blackman-Harris window.

Below are the 5kHz graphs. You'll see that the fundamental of 5kHz is the same from the 2nd play to the 90th, but the 90th does not look as clean. I've also isolated the harmonics for you to look at.
Will do the 1K tone next.

Attachments

• 5kHz spectrum.png
    5kHz spectrum.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 5kHz fund.png
    5kHz fund.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 5kHz H2.png
    5kHz H2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 5kHz H3.png
    5kHz H3.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 5kHz H4.png
    5kHz H4.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 104
Below are the 5kHz graphs. You'll see that the fundamental of 5kHz is the same from the 2nd play to the 90th, but the 90th does not look as clean. I've also isolated the harmonics for you to look at.
Will do the 1K tone next.

There are several very strange artifacts. First of all the almost instantaneous drop off in the noise floor (red) after 5k simply has no reasonable physical explanation. What's with the triple peaks???.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is the 1kHz tone from the 2nd and 90th plays. This looks much more reasonable.
I'll go back and check the 5kHz files. Maybe a corruption. Might look at play #80 instead.

Attachments

• 1kHz H4.png
    1kHz H4.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1kHz H3.png
    1kHz H3.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1kHz fund.png
    1kHz fund.png
    22 KB · Views: 42
  • 1kHz spectrum.png
    1kHz spectrum.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 1kHz H2.png
    1kHz H2.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 42
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here is the 5kHz tone from the 2nd and the 82nd plays. Noise looks better than on the 90th play. That file must have been corrupt. Still seeing more than one peak on the harmonics. Are they hitting more than 1 bin?

Attachments

• 5kHz H3.png
    5kHz H3.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 5kHz H2.png
    5kHz H2.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 5kHz fund.png
    5kHz fund.png
    21 KB · Views: 40
  • 5kHz spectrum.png
    5kHz spectrum.png