Measurements: When, What, How, Why

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In order to be able to properly interpret the results of measurements one has to surely have a baseline to work off. How does one get that baseline? I imagine experience is the key, ie testing, and listening, and then correlating things in the measurement to things that one hears, and training oneself to be able to spot the things that matter. However, doesn't this then completely remove the objectivity, as the baseline would be arrived at from a subjective viewpoint? Even if we can agree on a purely objective reference (as Toole appears to be attempting to do), how much subjectivity is in the interpretation of the results for any abitrary set of measurements? After all it is a human brain processing the data that is presented in visual form.

Just another thought...

Tony.

The baseline, or reference has to be accuracy, in my opinion, or the problem becomes subjective and there is no answer or any measurements that could ever define someone subjectivity. But accuracy is definable and measureable. The more that one can remove subjectivity from the measurements and the interpretation the better. Of course we all see through our own eyes even when we look at "data", so some subjectivity remains. But not agreeing that subjectivity is a "problem" to be overcome and placing it as the "baseline" will never lead to anything useful - its highly individual and usually a moving target. You end up going in circles.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Toole & Olive bridged the subjectivity/objectivity gap 25 years ago by measuring user preference under controlled conditions and correlating those findings with objective measurements. The answer was (and still is) an accurate loudspeaker. That's the baseline....

That research continues to this day, and a lot of the important findings did not take place until both worked at Harman

And i bet that as speakers strive to do well in the metric they came up with, that the metric will need to be further extended.

dave

I'm in big trouble here because I can't find the reference, but IIRC a music company did tests (DBT) to determine whether it was worthwhile releasing a catalogue of high definition material. In particular, going back to masters and digitizing.
Once again, IIRC, they used the same material for a group of approx 100, randomly selected (how was that done??) subjects.

It was presented as mp3, a bit worse than mp3, something between mp3 and CD, CD, and high def.

The majority of subjects couldn't reliably tell the difference between any of them. Something like eight subjects could reliably tell the difference between all of them.

(Interestingly, some data was collected before hand, not known to the testers, to find out hobbies, interests etc. Those eight apparently had indicated they were either, or both, musicians or hi-fi buffs).

Would a valid subjective/objective trial be to take 1000 subjects, find the 80 or so who can tell the difference, and use them as the DBT group for a more accurate assessment of things audio? Or was the sample group sufficiently large in Toole and Olive's study?

The company is apparently not going ahead with high def :).

I believe all the research took place in Canada & the US so that is a distinct possibility.

dave
Even in that kind of region, there is a great diversity of preferences. However, some large manufacturers noted US market generally like more boom to the sound. This could also be related with the way houses are built.
You have data indicating otherwise, of course.

[Or is this just another uncalibrated opinion...? :tongue: ]
If there is a way to calibrate optinions or preferences, I would certainly be interested in participating in the process to see what the result is. Boom!!!:eek:

Would a valid subjective/objective trial be to take 1000 subjects, find the 80 or so who can tell the difference, and use them as the DBT group for a more accurate assessment of things audio?

Probably not. There are those (including me) who can detect those differences in DBTs but seem to be unable to hear all of those magic (but claimed to be stunningly obvious) differences in wire, capacitors, resistors, CD demagnetizers... So clearly, these are non-valid tests.:D

Even in that kind of region, there is a great diversity of preferences.
Fiction, according to this work -- uncalibrated opinion. (Toole's words, BTW.)

What Earl is saying; if we listen to that it goes nowhere of utility but to empower subjectivist blather.

However, some large manufacturers noted US market generally like more boom to the sound. This could also be related with the way houses are built.
The metric specifies accurate, extended bass.

[JBL designs built to the T&O prescription are doing very well in Asia of late.... :) ]

Last edited:
Probably not. There are those (including me) who can detect those differences in DBTs but seem to be unable to hear all of those magic (but claimed to be stunningly obvious) differences in wire, capacitors, resistors, CD demagnetizers... So clearly, these are non-valid tests.:D

Then there are those who can detect differences in DBT's and ARE able to detect differences in various tweaks....So clearly, there is a disconnect between that sampling and yours.
YMMV as they say.... ;)

Fiction, according to this work -- uncalibrated opinion. (Toole's words, BTW.)

What Earl is saying; if we listen to that it goes nowhere of utility but to empower subjectivist blather.

The metric specifies accurate, extended bass.

[JBL designs built to the T&O prescription are doing very well in Asia of late.... :) ]
You'd be surprised what a JBL supplier would say. So 90% of audio discussions is blabber. What I think we have choices to make: deliver what we consider accurate, or deliver what a direct constomer wants regardless whether it's considered accurate or not since there isn't a standard definition that will gain worldwide concent of what is accurate, only what are more likely ingredients in defining what may be closer to being accurate.

You'd be surprised what a JBL supplier would say.
OH, yeah, we're going to get somewhere with hearsay innuendo here?

Generally speaking, mainstream manufacturers are in large part "with the program," and the "my way" fringe relegated to $10,000+ boutique niche designs.

[Many of which measure poorly with respect to the T&O metric.... :yes: ]

Last edited:
John Atkinson once stated his objection to DBT as there being unable to show audible effects that he was certain that he could hear. There is certain perverse logic to that!

I gotta admit, I don't get it. Guess I'm not that logical or perverse.:confused:

As far as accuracy goes, I didn't realize it was so hard to define. Seems pretty simple. "Accurate enough" may be harder to define though easier to achieve.

Dan

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.