MDF? - Onken Cabinet for Altec Duplex 604E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
different - I've only heard my RJ15 in a very small room with ferrite EV SP15 - it sounded much better on bass transients than a reflex with Nirvana Super10.

the original RJ enclosure had too much flex as the wood was thin. Some braces would help vintage cabinets, particularly the rear panel.

I say they're worth a go - - the "lemon" might be good to keep too. The earliest RJ had a different aperture. There was a bookshelf model for 8" which used the lemon aperture. Later on, the "Eliptoflex" copied the RJ but did not use a constricted aperture.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
its just a nice way to do reflex - - I ran 4-18" some time ago - 6.4 and 8.2 cubic feet. These borrowed the looks of a mono speaker presented in Audio Engineering. Imagine these with de-Q-ing holes drilled all the way through both the front and the vent motorboard - - the ~1953 builder used asbestos board .... The 130g mms 18 Eminence on the bottom had a subjectively improved midrange when moved to two different K-couplers.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Wasn't a 71A was it?.. theres something extra in that envelope ;-)

Yes, I went as low as a 750mW 71A SE. Delicious amp on 288/1505B, but frankly a little bit more power helped with dynamics and definition.

71A is a really superb sounding tube though. Globe 71A are like psychedelic mushrooms. (No, I didn't blind test this assertion:D)

I ended up running the whole system on one of my Silbatone 300B amps with a bit of NFB for bass control.

the ~1953 builder used asbestos board

M'mmm...I love snorting that stuff! I just got a WE 728B nicely packed according to my instructions, expect the ol guy's daughter used a piece of asbestos tile to protect the cone instead of wood! The cone is covered in asbestos dust. I quickly put it back in the box until I can get a clean suit, mask, etc. :eek:

That's what happens when you try to get in intimate touch with the audio past...who knew?

Anyway, Karlsons seemed to attract the super maniac DIYers of the day. I have found many that were super well made with the best speakers of the day in them...Altec, JBL, WE.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Yes, I went as low as a 750mW 71A SE. Delicious amp on 288/1505B, but frankly a little bit more power helped with dynamics and definition.

71A is a really superb sounding tube though. Globe 71A are like psychedelic mushrooms. (No, I didn't blind test this assertion:D)

I ended up running the whole system on one of my Silbatone 300B amps with a bit of NFB for bass control.

I agree wholeheartedly about CX-371A, UX-171A and (even more-so) the thoriated tungsten filament types (earlier) CX-371 and UX-171, from Cunningham and RCA, respectively.

0.75W may or may not cut it as an amplifier to drive a compression driver, but it sure makes for a good driver tube re: 2A3 (did anyone really not like a 2A3 ? ref: Sound Practices ;-))

Interesting also, as you'd know, is with use of IT coupling between driver and output the distortion products (SE) can either add or subtract, depending on how the secondary winding is connected. Further, and depending on how the secondary winding is connected, it is possible that the output tube grid can be positive at the same time the driver plate goes low so as to have the low Rp point of the driver at that moment = a good thing perhaps but needs to be taken in context of the whole (hole?).

I can appreciate the use of NFB to improve control, but, and considering that said company manufactures also push pull amplifier, is there any reason why a 71A cant drive either a SEDHT OP stage or PP DHT via SE to grid drive transformer for best of both worlds? - As an aside, how you do find the PP version with respect to SE, subjective of course - but I like the way in which you write and have plenty of time, so please feel free from all to elaborate and I very much look forward to your colourful reply!

Nice to see you hear, oops, here :).

Shane

Last edited:
different - I've only heard my RJ15 in a very small room with ferrite EV SP15 - it sounded much better on bass transients than a reflex with Nirvana Super10.

the original RJ enclosure had too much flex as the wood was thin. Some braces would help vintage cabinets, particularly the rear panel.

I say they're worth a go - - the "lemon" might be good to keep too. The earliest RJ had a different aperture. There was a bookshelf model for 8" which used the lemon aperture. Later on, the "Eliptoflex" copied the RJ but did not use a constricted aperture.

And this another Jensen Load Document sans titre

Did you already try it ? the distance between the main enclosure and the bafle seems easy to setup : 4 screws... but I assume also this baffle vibers a lot and play sounds side by side with the cone as well !

I'm asking myself if it's not closer from the OB than a vented load !

Yes, these were originally done this way, though obviously with more screws/pipe spacers. Works quite well actually for Fs tuning, yielding high damping due to being semi-aperiodic:

GM

Attachments

• site1024.jpg
    site1024.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 172
SATO horns+ le petite Onken

I´ll post it here... ( was considering a new thread - but since I have not followed up this thread I find it correct to post my topic here )

OK - so I have NOT built any 360L Onkens....

, but I am considering the smaller version:
La petite Onken (J.Hiraga)

I have sold my Duplex 604E´s.
I was wondering how difficult to scale down the SATO horn to the dimensions of the front dim. of the smaller Onken.

SATO horn:
Le systme de Mr Sato (J.Hiraga)

Is it possible?
- or am I way over my head....

... already drawn the la petite Onken box with the original SATO horn ( huge ! ) and with a scaled down version.... see pictures attached.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 119
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.