MCM 8" 55-2421 Isobaric

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering, If you like isobaric why not chose a driver that will work in an isobaric design? If you like the sound of the other design why not put them in a low Q push pull sealed setup. Porting a .25-.5ft^3 box is just silly and really should use Passive radiators.

How many of them do you have? Four of them in a push pull would make the box big enough to do something with. Eight would be even better.

In this thread? The bulk of the discussion is isobaric. Frankly, I've simmed this driver several times in various sealed, ported, and PR'd configs using meaured specs, and I'm hoping there is some magic the horn, because all the sims look pretty bad. I bought the driver pretty cheap as an experiment, but otherwise wouldn't use it.

Wade a little deeper, there is already a good FLH for free.

Last edited:
Four of them in a 2ft^3 box tuned to 30hz, Hp at 30, with 240w + B = :)

I've got an idea for myself but i'll share the drawing. BRB
Thanks all, lots of good ideas.

I did try a double clamshell design (4 woofers) in one of the original BR 51.5 liters box; I set the woofers the old BR box for the pic/illustration.

With the back of 2 woofers, brace and port it must have been in the 50 liter range. The port was a simple 3" tube x 4" - 5". The double clamshell box was pretty good, didn't keep it that long. From that point, I made up the single clamshell 28.3liter, then on and on - I always thought the boxes were improving.

When checking out the tunnel box that I gave my buddy, I was moving it around while hooked up/playing, it did feel like there was a 10 pound cannon ball swinging inside.....I know very hard to believe, I didn’t believe it at the time either.

I say that because: the cones are paper lightweights, nothing to them; i.e. how could 2 - 6" round pieces of paper cause such a violent reaction/effect.

A partial answer/guess is [and don’t know how paper could do this] the woofers are actually playing at a much higher level than the satellites, but with the combination of the tunnel and the x-over, all that is left is the narrow 25hz to 80hz band.

The tunnel seems to handle the extra power quite nicely; I never blew any of them up, and I think they still have enough left in them for most listeners; wouldn’t recommend them for back of car trunks, etc.

Power ~ In the workshop I had one hooked up to a 60 watt stereo Adcom 535II amp, 4 ohm per woofer, that worked well. The two in the HT are connected to 2 channels from a RMB – 1095, 8ohm per.

Attachments

• Double Iso.JPG
    Double Iso.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Thanks Don

Doug,
I'm an isobaric fan myself, which is why I read this thread, but after doing the sums I can see the logic behind Sreten's recommendation of a standard layout 2 driver setup.

Regarding port size, you said your port is 10 inches wide and about 3/4 inch high. No way is that 100 square inches. A square port (10 inches by 10 inches) would be 100 square inches...

Regarding the CSS driver versus 2x MCM, see the attached graph.
It shows isobaric MCM 55-2421 versus single CSS Trio8 in a 30 litre enclosure tuned to 30 Hz. The MCM drivers are fed a total of 240 watts, and the CSS driver is fed 200 watts. (Ignore the "modified response" caption, the spreadsheet I used allows applying filters and adjusting for measured room response etc.)

Thanks Don, very helpful. I like the sound of 8" and Isobaric, and may try this woofer, don't think I could fit 2 in an Iso box though.

If I went this route, I'd buy two and have a 30 liter box on each side.

SDX10

Hi Odougbo,

Have you seen the CSS Quartet10 Subwoofer Kit?

Creative Sound - Product Details

Regards,

Thanks, I did see that a while ago. I just got off the phone with Meniscus, unfortunately the teck fellow wasn't there. I had a few questions about the SDX10.

http://meniscusaudio.com/css-sdx10-p-773.html

I tried some aliments in WinISD and Perfect box, they were about the same: a 2.25 cf (64L) box tuned at 25hz gave some impressive results; -2.8db @ 27.8hz
Sounds too easy...can someone check please, or recommend a box size?

The suggested box size is 43 liters, net. 3” flared port, 17” long for 24.5 tuning.

Imp - 4 ohm
Fs - 26 Hz
Qts - .42
Vas - 53L
SPL - 85 dB
Xmax - 18.5mm

BTW, Don the Trio 8" won’t be in till January.

a very good lead

They would be more useful there, where the woofer does mid duties as well.

Looking at your design, the biggest problem I see, apart from the ones that other people have already pointed out, is that your slot port is too small and has very high losses. You can see that from the relative size of the 20Hz and 40Hz resonant peaks. If your port was more efficient, the speaker would have a lower excursion for the same output at resonance. The port ought to be 2 to 3 times as large (cross section) as it is now, and of course a lot longer if you want to keep the 30 Hz tuning point. It then gets hard to fit a port that long into the enclosure. Do consider it though, because the results are desirable - lower distortion because the drivers don't exceed xmax at high power, and less port noise ("chuffing").

I wouldn't build these enclosures for myself. They are simply too large and tuned too low for the drivers to give of their best. Your description of their performance (in post #73) shows that. The problem is, there doesn't appear to be any way the drivers are suitable for sub-bass use. They would make a good woofer, or maybe in a bandpass enclosure as suggested by Michael.

I note that a single CSS Trio8 would be a better match to your enclosure, and would provide about the same output for the same power and a similar price (1 Trio8 vs 2 55-2421, assuming both at full retail price.)

Thanks Don, a very good lead, I'm going to request to be added to waiting list.

I ran it two programs, it will go a bit lower in a 36l - 42l without too much of a dip, and get past the 30hz line, there would be a 1 db hump at 35hz.

They wouldn’t give me a $$ quote over the phone for the new TRIO 8”, but I think the price is going to be up there.

http://meniscusaudio.com/images/CSS%20TRIO8.pdf

Maybe I should have started off this thread with “best subwoofer for around $100”

[2 woofers delivered - $76]

I hooked the signal generator to the processor, did not move the speakers out of the room.
They sound like the modeling on post #97, there is a slight dip before the 30-35hz peak, I don’t think dip is that bad; also there are ways to compensate, yes? I don’t find the need too, I just run them flat – crossed over at 80hz.

I’m pretty sure the 30 – 35hz peak is above the flat line. I am always impressed with the “power” - they just have a powerful feel to them.

Also, unsure why a classic tuning method – is now a false impedance reading.

I may be stirring the pot again, never, never my intention; the target was more of what can be done for less.

Brief history, My Grandfather used to send me 12” die cast Electro voice woofers back in the early 70s, I’ve been “building speakers” since then; cars, trucks, houses; out of wood, PCV, on and on.

Isobaric Wars

All most forgot about this build; similar to the last. Started off with 2 - 10s, Foster drivers (If I have the name right).

They were both side by side in a 6cf sealed box, used them for years; the box configuration was recommended by the seller. Then about 5 years ago contacted the seller (starts with an M); they said no, no, no, build a 4 cf vented box and run them parallel since they were 12 ohm woofers. They even sent a plan; fine it worked great, much better than the sealed.

From that point, I got the idea to go 2cf isobaric (tunnel), well that was the best sub woofer out of all three. We are still using it in my dad's HT, it is very "powerful". Sure got my $$ out of these woofers!

So that said, I have one more plan/build up my sleeve AND this new Iso box models nicely in WinISD. more to come.

I'll be back……….

Attachments

• P1020365.jpg
    P1020365.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 292
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.