Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made an inductive Phono Stage for Fast Audio called "Tanzmusik".
One advantage of that stage is that the coil is in a feedback loop to ground in the MM stage.
That coil has less then 10 Ohm DC impedance where normally is a ca. 200 Ohm resistor so it has less noise. It terms of sound it sounded " fatter" and more robust.
I would say a matter of taste. My job was to create a kind of vintage sound anyway.
Rock and Jazz-Rock from the 70th sounds very familiar on this one where modern stages can sound a little threadbare so it compensates a bit for flaws in the recording.

It also has a tone control.

Attachments

• Tanzmusik neu mas.jpg
    Tanzmusik neu mas.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Tanzmusik Jig mas.jpg
    Tanzmusik Jig mas.jpg
    464 KB · Views: 170
It is pretty complex.
It has two MC inputs, one active, one transformer coupled.
It has an MM input and direct output.
It has a tube line stage with volume control that also has a headphone output.
It has treble and bass control for both channels separate and a RIAA look that switches out the tone control.
There is an external PSU with a lot of transformers and regulation for the tube and active stages, double mono.

I mean test to evaluate voltage rejection, output impedance, frequency response.
I am assuming that rejection can be fairly easy as some noise can be cap coupled to the input of the supply and measure the attenuation at the output.
Maybe output impedance could be harder.

I have a 400MHz scope, I think it should suffice to check out oscillation.
One time I had access to the best tektronix 1-2GHz Scope and Top aginent specutrim analyzer. :eek:

You could simulate the input impedance of your phono stage on the power line.
You can then ballast ( in simulation ) the PSU with that impedance.
Or can you can simply build the real thing and probe the connection between the PSU and the phono stage. Unfortunately that gives you only the status quo and will not tell you what went wrong.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.