Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You should have tried algol :) Programming language generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.s I'm still (now for more then 40 years) a computer programmer and system designer. And I do hate computers, and I do love algorithms.

well that is not uncommon....love for the algorithm comes from the love for logic, then from algorithm to the actual computer you have to deal with lots of issue that come from debuggers, programmers, firmware on the machine itself and so on....which makes it easy to hate!

Has this test been done with real builds or are these simulations ?

Where is FdW shunt ?

Can't do the real measurement, I do not own the AP :( but if the simulation helps then here are the results. Also I must note: the specified test (here DIY Test Equipment for Audio and Ham Radio Enthusiasts) is not a PSRR-test, it is (I would say), a current injection resistance(CIR) test :). Also, series regulator PSU's may (or may not) have a high 'CIR', but I am sure that a good shunt regulator (having a good CCS) will (probably) have a better PSRR than (probably) any series PSU :) (or I will eat my hat :)).

Attachments

• Injection Voltage Test Schema.PNG
    Injection Voltage Test Schema.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Injection Voltage Test FFT.PNG
    Injection Voltage Test FFT.PNG
    47.7 KB · Views: 216
No.
There was a listening test on PSUs in Linear Audio.
They used a rather simple Borbely line stage that did not have much PSU rejection.
The outcome was rather suprising.
The Jung-Didden series regulator did best and the Salas shunt did quite poor.
Usually a shunt should work better but that was not the case here.
So a search was undertaken why that was.
A distortion analysis by FFT of the output voltage correlated with the sound impressions.
The PSUs that did not have high order distortion artifacts did best.

No.
There was a listening test on PSUs in Linear Audio.
They used a rather simple Borbely line stage that did not have much PSU rejection.
The outcome was rather suprising.
The Jung-Didden series regulator did best and the Salas shunt did quite poor.
Usually a shunt should work better but that was not the case here.
So a search was undertaken why that was.
A distortion analysis by FFT of the output voltage correlated with the sound impressions.
The PSUs that did not have high order distortion artifacts did best.

wow!! This is pretty interesting.
Thanks for sharing it as it helps understanding correlation between good sounding PSU and measurements.

I am wondering if anybody here has the gear to perform these tests.

So it is a loop test almost since the output of the generator is cap coupled to the output of the PSU and output of the PSU gets connected cap coupled again to the input of the Analyzer.

Quantum is a pretty nifty product, I saw it some time ago and found it interesting.
However looking at the specs, a good quality soundcard like M-Audio pro-fire or EMU have little better figures.
I use spectra plus and noise floor is down to -140-150dB.

If I understood correctly, this is a test that doesn’t require injection transformer with loop analysis where you must have a network analyzer type of instrument.
If so, I can perform tests too but I got to say that given I am working on schematic, simulation, layout, assembling, tests and who knows what’s more….plus I work full time….ahahahah…..time is a little issue with time for me too.

Anyway that post was very, very instructive, thanks again for sharing it with us.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.