Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please behave.

You never listened to my builds so why dismiss them as mediocre ?

True I haven't listened to your builds!

All I can say though is that nobody gives you things for free...or better...you get what you pay for.
In other words if you get a $1 cap it's not going to perform like a $10 to give a number.
In conclusion if you build nice circuits with cheapo parts the weak link is what is going to dominate over the rest.

In the other end, if you don't have a rather expensive cart, table arm and so on...maybe it is also overall better to mantain balance and perhaps use good industrial grade parts.

So long story short, I am sure your builds are very nice and my comment was too harsh :cool:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes... too harsh.. but never mind, I am getting used to your spicy atitude.

I really apreciate your input and know you have a very extended knowledge regarding electronics but you must understand that not everyone is highly paid and some of us must endure a harder search of sonic nirvana.

Anyway, did you ever heard about the VSF Duelund CAST-PIO ?
Some people say it is the best cap ever produced and even more expensive than the made in USA V-caps..... Imagine if someone would state your builds are mediocre because you do not use these even more expensive caps ?

And worst of all, I believe you might transmit the idea that the paradise is mediocre if not used with such ultra expensive caps... that is not correct.

My paradise build sounds really good and the new build will be even better and I hope all input from everyone will contribute to that.

There is really something special about the paradise even if it does not superate my other builds in every aspect.... I will keep building and modding until I get it sounding as I like.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
:spin::spin::spin::spin:
Let's make it four dozen, corrected by inflation over a quarter century, that's roughly the equivalent of a copper Vcap quartet.

Mea culpa, it slipped my mind that you're not a one-off builder.

I can not stop... I believe I am totally hooked... a real solder slinger. As a matter of fact I really can distinguish the components legs composition by it's smell while soldering :)

I really don't like the discussion on the teflon parts, teflon has one area where it is really good that being in the dielectric area where it has very very low absorption, But in practical terms it makes very very poor capacitors.. as the teflon does not shrink when relaxed with heat it cant be more stable than the winding tension, which is very low due the the low mechanical yield ans tensions strength of the foils.. Teflon is also very thick compared with other winding foils, this makes the capacitors larger and thus with more induction due to current lengths. So what you end up with is a mechanical loose and high (or higher than needed) induction capacitor.. Try to use a teflon cap with higher currents and listen to is with a stethoscope. it simply plays like a small speaker unit. Same thing applies to the duelund Pio cast. while the casting damps the vibration somehow, the long current paths still remains and so does the internal vibrations. (I know this is mainly based on findings for higher power electronics, but for a RIAA stage same kind of reasoning must apply.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, I tryed severall types of teflon caps in the riaa filter and althou there are gains to be had in terms of extension and dynamics, overall tone was never as good and coherence was not on par with the best tin foil I experimented.

Even pure micas ( I used enourmous 0.25% micas in some builds) sounded better than the teflons I experimented with. It does not mean the copper vcaps are out... these are known to be really good in almost all aspects... unfortunately I can not afford to experiment with those.

As for "normal" polyprops, I prefer the results with Film type (not metallized ones).

Big caps can be tamed in this situation because currents are very small and they are connected to GND in most of my builds.

Regarding interstage caps (not in the paradise) I really did not find anything better than teflons.... they really shine due to their transparence and good extension.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.