Masterpiece

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Frans is the Shunt Guru. He will do what is necessary.
I think the phenomenon that a phono stage with a "nice" noise spectrum can "analog dither" distortion. We had that discussion with Salas.
See a visual representation ( sorry in german ) in the next post.

I might imagine what you mean.
However as I always say, the hear should be your final judge which means that you should in general pick whatever sounds better to you and not what measures better.
With this I am not saying that noise is not an important factor to keep under control.
What I am saying is that if in order to reduce noise sounds worse, I will pick the "worse" technical solution that sounds better over the other.
That is my personal choice since I am going to listen to it and not measure it everytime I turn it on. :usd::cool:

It's not a matter of discovering a new planet.
Sound is embedded in everyone which should be equipped to hear what's real from what's not without using a telescope.
Long story short you are trying to make your spectrum analyzer your telescope but sound belongs to this earth you ain't need no telescope but just a pair of good hears!! :eek::D:yinyang:

EDIT: I am not saying you don't have good hears because I know you do!! I am probably generalizing too much by saying that most of the people uses instruments mire than there hears!

Last edited:
I do think that technical excellence does not ( automatic ) come with an unmusical sound.
I know though that very high resolution can bring out problems in recordings that can leave an unpleasant feeling. I rather prefer the truth with occasional disturbance .
I even learned that when my system got more accurate that i had to judge my record collection new. What had sounded great before showed some mediocrity and what sounded average now revealed true greatness. I know, humans are that way, they usually do not like drastic change. In general i now prefer recordings from the 50th and 60th.
They show better "tone" and sound more from "one piece". I attribute that to the simpler recording style with less microphones and pan potting and especially less overdub.
That was also the prime day of tubes and transformers, again a simpler recording chain.
So what is my "dream" how the Masterpiece should sound ?
Accurate AND musical i hope.
There is a good chance that this will happen. The circuit is VERY short and simple but also sophisticated. I call that sophisticated simplicity and that is a good recipe for good sound i think.
Here is an interesting review of a component that does everything right and still does not go to the core of the music :
Burmester Top Line 100 Phono Preamp : HPSoundings
I certainly know, Stefanoo, what you are afraid of and i will make sure that this does not happen. I certainly have a very high respect for music.

Last edited:
I am on the same page, circuits need to spec sufficiently. Low in noise, no hum and lowish distortion. BUT.. for me there is also the demand for low or lowish feedback and simple circuitry. I would also prefer circuits that are DC stable so the they can work servo-less.

Lately I have become quite a fan of current input. To me they seem to develope an incredible resolution in the base, it's simply more firm and musically well defined.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, simple circuits, DC stable without NFB.... we are looking at low PSRR , and great dependency on the simetric psu... so it comes back to the powering shunts.. right ?

Batteries do not behave like true current sources (IMO) so we are stuck with complex electronics... and in the end an amplifier just modulates it's psu line with the input signal so (IMO once again) we could do with ultra simple circuits powered by perfect psu's.

Last edited:
I found though that "Zero Ohm" inputs do not work best.
Frans simulated some circuits i send him and i also gave him the DC impedance and the inductance value of several cartridges. We found that circuits like that can roll off quite strong over 10kHz. No wonder they sound " different ".
I found that on those circuits some impedance at the input is necessary.
Say the cartridge has 5 Ohm and 8uH, then 5 ohm input impedance is fine.
Again this comes with a 3dB noise penalty compared to a high impedance input.
I call that kind of circuits " Power Tranfer ".

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The paradise is outstanding..... really low noise with great sonics.... but some of my builds sound much wider and realistic at the expense of some noise.... I believe the noise comes from the psu mainly....

I experimented with lots of types of psu and shunt types seem better because a shunt regulates in both directions, both by supplying current and absorbing excess current from the load. The effect is much more constant source impedance as seen by the load.. the shunt accepts back energy from the load when the demands goes down faster easier and shunts it to gnd.

(And the paradise psu is way far from simple :) )

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, I allready have looked it up and found it ... anyway it is cool that you gave it in english for us (those who can not read the beautifull german writing)

Some of my friends prefer the paradise because they can turn the volume knob full up and hear nothing at all... others prefer the other builds because of the "cinemascope" sounstage and "reality fluid coherent effect"... wish I could have a solution that presented both at the same time :)

Maybe the solution is on the psu....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.