Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
open loop performances of the DB-CM-DB architecture are quite amazing :eek:

Under simulation at any rate, my results bear this out 100%.

Attachments

• DDA 0.6 FFT.png
    DDA 0.6 FFT.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 907

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is some gain there... Not optimized... should have lower distortion. Remove R6 and then it will be open-loop and then retest.

I interpreted "open loop" as "the output buffer is outside the feedback loop" rather than "there is no return current into the inverting input". I guess that was incorrect.

If you remove R6 completely however, things go a little screwy since the impedance of that node just jumps up to the remaining components surrounding it (Q13,Q14) - gain goes up (roughly 45 dB), distortion goes up, bandwidth goes down.

It is possible to run "open loop" by dismantling the feedback connection, connecting R6 to ground instead of R5. The simulated performance is largely unchanged.

Attachments

• DDA 0.6 open loop.png
    DDA 0.6 open loop.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 883
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I interpreted "open loop" as "the output buffer is outside the feedback loop" rather than "there is no return current into the inverting input". I guess that was incorrect.

If you remove R6 completely however, things go a little screwy since the impedance of that node just jumps up to the remaining components surrounding it (Q13,Q14) - gain goes up (roughly 45 dB), distortion goes up, bandwidth goes down.

It is possible to run "open loop" by dismantling the feedback connection, connecting R6 to ground instead of R5. The simulated performance is largely unchanged.

I'm not sure you are making progress here --- a lot more transistors/parts and worse thd/harmonic levels and dont know about offset and drift etc. No cigar. yet :)

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
forr - I hadn't heard the term before, but on searching, it certainly seems to be a variant thereof.

coluke - and works it does, but I still don't understand why you'd choose that connection scheme (grounded) over the other (back to the front half of the current mirror). Seems to me like there is no difference.

rnmarsh - no, not yet. I'm not even sure what I should be "optimizing", even.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
rnmarsh - no, not yet. I'm not even sure what I should be "optimizing", even.

Here are my own modest base requirements for a line stage (similar for power amp):

1. Open loop BW of 40KHz or more (-3dB)... 20KHz min.
2. IM and THD of less than .001% at 1v rms into 30 ohms for any frequency between 20Hz and 20KHz.
3. No coupling caps on input or output or in feedback path.
4. No use of dc servo circuits to track and correct dc offset and drift.
5. No more than 6-8 transistors (excluding power supply).
6. S/N ref 1 volt rms and without weighting of at least -130dB (input can be shorted or terminated).
7. No significant harmonics above the 2nd and 3rd.
8. Closed loop gain between 12 and 20 dBv
9. Low Zout (less than a fraction of an Ohm at any audio freq).
10. Distortion not be changed by source Z.
11. Transistors should be low cost and not be exotic, hard to obtain, very expensive or no longer manufactured.

There might be a thing or two I missed, off the top of my head, but this is do-able and should be done in all audio circuits IMHO. -RNM