Mark Audio Alpair 10 MLTL Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,
I'm near to finish the assembling of the cabinets for the Alpairs 10, following the project of this thread. Soon I'll start to experiment with the damping material and I'd like to have a response about the use of bitumen. I'm thinking to apply with brush 1 or 2 mm of it between the panels and the damping material (I took the MDM-3 by Monacor), from the top to the bottom of the drivers, just to make the cabinets more non-resonant. I've not found any reference about the use of bitumen in a MLTL design, so my doubt is that it can be useless or even "deleterious". Maybe it can be alter, in some way, the response obtained by simulation?
Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Christian

Hi everybody,
I'm near to finish the building of my Alpair 10 MLTL enclosure. Now I have a little doubt: following very precisely the Mr. Jim Griffin project, the tube lenght is 4 inches (about 10 cm), but this is to be intended including the thickness of the front baffle (in my case 0.75 inches, about 2 cm), so going inside the enclosure "only" 3.25 inches (about 8 cm)? In other words, using a tube that "starts from the external" of the baffle, its lenght must be 4 or 4.75 inches?
Thanks a lot and have a nice day,
Christian

Welcome to E-Speakers.com - Very High End Loudspeaker Components

would this be good contender ? i mean something similar setup like Jordan + Ribbon?

The price is quite reasonable, although can only use above 10k.

cheers

Pioneer-ART-55D.jpg

The overall external box dimensions for my enclosure (with 0.75” thick material) are 47” H x 7.5” W x 6.75” D. The internal dimensions are: length (top to bottom) 45.5”, driver distance from the top 15.5”, port distance from the top 44”, with a straight cross-sectional area of 6” wide x 5.25” deep

i was looking at the plans from the markaudio site to convert the dimensions to millimeters, i'll be using 19mm BBply...

but from the plans i have an internal depth of 4,875 inches, which is 12.4cm. once front and back is added brings me to 16.2 cm against the 17.1 cm (6.75 inches) here stated: am i missing something??

help would be very appreciated :)

Hi,

I am planning on building some kind of version of this prototype. I would like to confirm that if the cross sectional area of the tl remains the same, I can change to dimension without changing the tuning? I am thinking of internal dims W: 7.5" D:3.9". That would give 1.5" wider baffle. my goal is to avoid BSC by widening the baffle. I have no access to MJK's worksheet and I am shooting blind here. So could any anyone confirm the sanity of this idea?

I would also like to know if wider baffle would allow me to raise the element by few inches? I am aware of closed end / open end ratio in TL, but then again I have no way to model this setup :/

If I am going for those dims, is it ok to place to port facing down? Base plate would if course have spikes to elevate it to enable air flow.

I'm reviving this thread because I just got a pair of the original Alpair 10 and wondering what kind of cabinet.

1) Infinite baffle - if so what size? How about around 40 litres?

2) Bass reflex. I'm attracted to Jim Griffin's design, and I was wondering about an easier build from an 8x4 sheet of plywood - BB, spruce or bamboo. Simply cut it into two sheets of 4x4ft and then slice each up into eight lengths of 6 ins. wide. Would make two pairs of boxes with about 21 litres. Not too different in dimensions from Jim's design.

I just got a nice Joint Genie kit for making dowel joints for the corners, and I'm rarin' to go!

andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.