Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

awpagan said:
on a side note
the problem where the cdplayer just stops

seems it maybe just some of the discs that do it.

and Nora's (come away with me) is one of them:mad:

joe jackson's on at present, no problem play's all (both discs)

copy protection?
original discs

allan

Hi.

This is not unusual !
In a previuos life [!] I owned a computer and second-hand HiFi business in Surrey.
One cd-player which came in refused to play anything except Eric Clapton cds. I put it outside on the bargain pile for £5 ..... it was bought by a student after he had tried my cds and some of his own....same result.

Andy

poynton said:

Hi.

This is not unusual !
In a previuos life [!] I owned a computer and second-hand HiFi business in Surrey.
One cd-player which came in refused to play anything except Eric Clapton cds. I put it outside on the bargain pile for £5 ..... it was bought by a student after he had tried my cds and some of his own....same result.

Andy

any ideas why, andy

philips and cd67?
haven't found any other manufacturer that used the sm5872's
found sm5874's / 76's

bit strange, i did expect a couple

allan

poynton said:

Hi.

Believe me, I fiddled with that cd-player for some time and still could not work out why.

Andy

I know the disc's are ok, played on the other cdplayer ok
seems like some disc's it cannot get a lock on easily or it drops out.

good to see that you seen it, was thinking it was my mods.
maybe a elect-cap unstable somewhere

also thought of laser weak.

dunno?
may find out eventually

allan

ps Leo Kottke guitar awesome sound, too bad about his voice.:D

Evening lads.

My player is still very very sick, even after 2 days of trying to fix it :(

The problem started when i did a large batch of mods. Put some new schottky diodes in the psu area (d801-804, and d811-814), new op-amps on BD's, bypassed HDAM, and fitted +and- 12V regs by the op-amps.
When i powered the player on after doing these mods, the laser mechanism kept trying to force itself towards the back of its compartement (back of the the player, so the cogs on teh motor kept spinning and jumping out, making a rattling noise.

Today i put back in u139/140 (removed for killing the muting circuit to headphones), then suddenly after powering on, the laser mechanism went crazy in the other direction, so started trying to go towards the front of the player (towards centre of cd motor), and carried on going not switching off.
I have been discussing this with ray so far and i havent fixed it, and im about to give up and just get another player off ebay, as i cant be without the sweet sound of a modded 63 during my uni exam period :)

Here are a few piccies showing the voltages around the schottky diodes in teh psu area, where there are some parts recieving no voltage at all :S

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

[a] is d801, d802, [c] d803, [d] d804.
The green loops show the parts that have a voltage reading, and the red parts show what has a V reading of 0V
(all readings are done with respect to Ov which is grounding the black probe of the multimeter on top of the hdam shielding)

heres the second one:

[a] is d811, d812, [c] d813, [d] d814.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ok one more thing, il give you the voltages of the pins on the IC (Q105) that controls the laser mechanism sled (check service manual for default voltages):

Pin 1 [9.7v], 2 [11.6v], 3[9.8v], 4[7v], 5[6.5v], 6[6.5v], 7[5.7v], 8[9.7v].
Pin 9-18 [7V]

From the service manual you can see that these volatges are screwed. Any advice for what i should do next.... and not throw it in the bin.... yet

:D

All help would be greatly appreciated

adam

p.s. iv had enough for tonight as im off back to uni tomoroow, so im off to get drunk :D

adfinni said:
[a] is d801, d802, [c] d803, [d] d804.
The green loops show the parts that have a voltage reading, and the red parts show what has a V reading of 0V
(all readings are done with respect to Ov which is grounding the black probe of the multimeter on top of the hdam shielding)

These voltages appear to be o.k. It's the analog + and - 22,7V that supplies your 78xx and 79xx audiocom regs.

heres the second one:

[a] is d811, d812, [c] d813, [d] d814.

These voltages appear to be o.k. too, those are the unregulated + and - 10...12V that feed the driver IC's.

If the sled is behaving irradically, I still suspect the clocksignal to be absent.

Today i put back in u139/140 (removed for killing the muting circuit to headphones), then suddenly after powering on, the laser mechanism went crazy in the other direction, so started trying to go towards the front of the player (towards centre of cd motor), and carried on going not switching off.

Adam, why did you take out U139 and 140???? They are not anywhere near the headphone section, cause that's a CD57/67 mod :bigeyes: !!! For the CD63 it's U271/272 to disable +/-12V, no wonder....

Regards,

Ray.

6h5c said:

These voltages appear to be o.k. It's the analog + and - 22,7V that supplies your 78xx and 79xx audiocom regs.

These voltages appear to be o.k. too, those are the unregulated + and - 10...12V that feed the driver IC's.

If the sled is behaving irradically, I still suspect the clocksignal to be absent.

Adam, why did you take out U139 and 140???? They are not anywhere near the headphone section, cause that's a CD57/67 mod :bigeyes: !!! For the CD63 it's U271/272 to disable +/-12V, no wonder....

Regards,

Ray.

U139,U140 are +/- power for headphones on CD67.
what are they on CD63?

does sound like clock in transport problem.
Does the dac reclock internally for the transport?

allan

also

if the clock is not up and present at power up the transport goes into spasm's
my clock power supply is delayed (slow ) to get upto voltage on power up.
just switch of power then switch on. and then it spins disc and reads

adam, measure the +v5 on the power supply for the clock and see whether it's slow on power up.
if it is switch power off and then back on
report back please

Ray
this happens on my cd67.
open and close tray will not resink clock for tranport.
but i haven't put the super reg's in yet.

adfinni said:

ok one more thing, il give you the voltages of the pins on the IC (Q105) that controls the laser mechanism sled (check service manual for default voltages):

Pin 1 [9.7v], 2 [11.6v], 3[9.8v], 4[7v], 5[6.5v], 6[6.5v], 7[5.7v], 8[9.7v].
Pin 9-18 [7V]

From the service manual you can see that these volatges are screwed. Any advice for what i should do next.... and not throw it in the bin.... yet

:D

All help would be greatly appreciated

adam

p.s. iv had enough for tonight as im off back to uni tomoroow, so im off to get drunk :D

Typical student - if in doubt, get drunk !

Adam,

First check these voltages :-

across C122 - should be +5v
across C124 - should be +2.5v

across C148 - should be -12v approx. [pin 9-16 on Q106]
also from either end of R128 to ground [0v] - as above

Check carefully for shorts / solder splashes around the 2 jumpers [U139 / U140 ]

U139 connects the sled signal from the servo chip [Q104] to the sled driver [Q105]

It also looks like you may have a few dry joints !

You can always send it to me to fix but where's the fun in that?

Andy