Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi guys,

Just for the record: the wave we are talking about is a square wave, with lots of higher order harmonics, that have much shorter wavelengths. Also the velocity in a cable is not light-speed, but less.

The point: the actual wavelength is about 20x? shorter than it seems at first glance. Not an issue here, just putting things into perspective. Am i being too much on the details? :clown:.

Regards,

Ray.

No no, its fine Ray. But I don't measure the waveform out of the Tent XO near square. I don't know whether my scope is the limit, but this is what I get from it. Doesn't seem to be a comperator output.

But I do agree, the square wave has much more energy than the sine.

/avr300

Attachments

• img_5700 (small).jpg
    img_5700 (small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 408
avr300 said:
No no, its fine Ray. But I don't measure the waveform out of the Tent XO near square. I don't know whether my scope is the limit, but this is what I get from it. Doesn't seem to be a comperator output.

But I do agree, the square wave has much more energy than the sine.

/avr300

thats what i get too, on a 20Mhz scope

need higher resolution scope to pick up 16.9Mhz square wave, all the higher order harmonics.

allan

avr300 said:
But I don't measure the waveform out of the Tent XO near square. I don't know whether my scope is the limit, but this is what I get from it. Doesn't seem to be a comperator output.

/avr300

Hi avr,

Same as Allan, the square looks like a sine on my scope. If you do a search on this topic you can find more about it, and how to do a proper measurement with a terminated cable.

The closest I got to a square was on the scope of a friend of mine:

Ray.

Attachments

• scope_img_tent_xo.jpg
    scope_img_tent_xo.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 416
ash_dac said:
Hi,

Not sure you need to square up the sine...

A simple Colpitts FET oscillator should do it.

That's true ash,

When I pull the AD8561 out of it's socket and replace it by a 10n coupling cap, everything runs fine. Haven't done any A-B comparing yet though, could be worth to try. It would sure make the clock a lot cheaper :D.

Ray.

6h5c said:

That's true ash,

When I pull the AD8561 out of it's socket and replace it by a 10n coupling cap, everything runs fine. Haven't done any A-B comparing yet though, could be worth to try. It would sure make the clock a lot cheaper :D.

Ray.

Ray,

Without the comparator... :)

I'm not too sure how we should power the oscillator.

Would you know how to calculate the power supply consumption of the oscillator?

ash_dac said:

Ray,

Use a TL431/BC550 as in the KwakClock.

Check the output of Jocko's clock - no comparator!
The arrangement workswell. I have used a similar circuit on the back of a simple colpitts oscillator, in a couple of CD63's.

Andy

Attachments

• jocko's clockosc.gif
    jocko's clockosc.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 464
6h5c said:

Hi avr,

Same as Allan, the square looks like a sine on my scope. If you do a search on this topic you can find more about it, and how to do a proper measurement with a terminated cable.

The closest I got to a square was on the scope of a friend of mine:

Ray.

terminated cable will give more or less square wave but it's still distorted.

if i am looking for a problem with the clock signal, i get a distorted
signal.
question is.
Is the clock signal distorted or the terminated circuit to clean up the distorted signal.
my head hurts:xeye:

I was looking for a similar signal in and out of devices
(like using a logic probe--- there, not there or there at the wrong time:D )

allan

avr300
ray or andy, 1volt ac signal?

ash_dac said:
Ray,

That's not too difficult. The offset voltage across the FET's 1k source resistor is about 2.5V, so that would mean 2.5mA. It wouldn't hurt to load the output of the PSU with an extra 1k in this case, to ensure minimum current draw.

poynton said:
Use a TL431/BC550 as in the KwakClock.

Andy

I would prefer the more passive approach, with a pre-regulator, like this circuit that Guido uses for his XO-module. That's one potentially noisy TL431 less to worry about. Output is a little over 5V with these resistor values, and that will result in a nice 5Vpp sine wave.

Ray.

Attachments

• osc_supply.jpg
    osc_supply.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 436
awpagan said:
terminated cable will give more or less square wave but it's still distorted.

if i am looking for a problem with the clock signal, i get a distorted
signal. question is.
Is the clock signal distorted or the terminated circuit to clean up the distorted signal. my head hurts:xeye:

allan

avr300
ray or andy, 1volt ac signal?

Hi Allan,

The more capacitive load you put on the square wave output, the more sinusoidal it becomes. The cable acts as a low-pass filter between the signal and the scope, and filters out all the higher harmonics. If you load the output as little as possible, you'll get a square more or less. Also the amplitude of the signal gets less the more you load it. The scope picture I posted was measured with a decent 10x probe, and still shows a lovely 5Vpp output.

Ray.

Done the same measurement again, this time with a 10x probe and on my old CRT scope. Looks a great deal bettet. Amplitude now 5V.

So Fluke'o scope with standard probes isn't up to the task.

BTW, just installed a sep. psu for the clock. Not bad, not bad...

/avr300

Attachments

• img_5712 (small).jpg
    img_5712 (small).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 487
gy21 said:
I read somewhere else on this forum some issues with an ad826 opamp (i've ordered one), this opamp went in oscilation in a certain cd player (no marantz).

When i'm gonna put an AD826 in de my 67se is there a risk that this happens also on my 67se?

How can I prevent this? Puttting a capacitor between pin 4 and 8 on the opamp?

Hi.

I have not had any problems with oscillation in '63s

Andy